Saudi Arabia in talks to buy stake in Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Saudi Arabia in talks to buy stake in Tigers

Post by LE18 »

PAW2 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:58 am Im not funding 4 clubs will benefit the game - clearly it will for the 4 involved.

Whilst highly unlikely, it would be better if the funding could be shared across the top two divisions, perhaps in exchange for naming rights to the leagues and a shared academy structure in Saudi - including women's rugby. Then the English game benefits, not just four 'super' clubs.
Are we reading this right, is it not that they have approached 4 clubs hoping to secure just 1? :smt017
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

LE18 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:26 pm
PAW2 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:58 am Im not funding 4 clubs will benefit the game - clearly it will for the 4 involved.

Whilst highly unlikely, it would be better if the funding could be shared across the top two divisions, perhaps in exchange for naming rights to the leagues and a shared academy structure in Saudi - including women's rugby. Then the English game benefits, not just four 'super' clubs.
Are we reading this right, is it not that they have approached 4 clubs hoping to secure just 1? :smt017
What I have read is that there were earlier conversations with the 4, then things went quiet for a while, and there has now been a further conversation with 1 of the 4.
As Good As It Gets
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

This link should take you to the article in yesterdays Telegraph:
https://archive.ph/magt9
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I've been censored for pointing out the obvious and making jokes about it (which some, well 1, posters didn't get). There are moral issues discussed on here all the time. The Josh Caufield stamping, the e-tokens for player access malarkey, breaches of the salary cap, the finances of Wasps and Worcester have all been discussed at length and are all, fundamentally, moral questions. I do believe that the majority of posters here are not going to be offended by such discussions, neither are they going to post anything that will bring disrepute to the club.

A lighter touch from mods would be welcomed.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scuttle wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:05 pm

What I have read is that there were earlier conversations with the 4, then things went quiet for a while, and there has now been a further conversation with 1 of the 4.
Other way around according to the telegraph. Originally just Gloucester, but PIF didn't see that as attractive enough so the other 3 became involved.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:17 pm
Scuttle wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:05 pm

Other way around according to the telegraph. Originally just Gloucester, but PIF didn't see that as attractive enough so the other 3 became involved.
Yes apologies, misremembered in haste. :smt023
As Good As It Gets
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Saints have issued an interesting statement saying they have had NO DIRECT CONTACT with any Saudi investor - but what about INDIRECT through a third party????

https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/new ... ent-feb-24
Hehehehehehehehe
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:35 pm Saints have issued an interesting statement saying they have had NO DIRECT CONTACT with any Saudi investor - but what about INDIRECT through a third party????

https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/new ... ent-feb-24
Someone on twitter replied to this saying that's exactly how the Newcastle deal happened, all through a third party
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

With what happened to Worcester, Wasps, et. al. I'm surprised the RFU hasn't ripped the Saudis' hand off.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

VernonAtrium wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:08 pm With what happened to Worcester, Wasps, et. al. I'm surprised the RFU hasn't ripped the Saudis' hand off.
Don’t think the RFU are involved these are direct/ indirect approaches to clubs. Whether the RFU would have to sanction a 19% share in a club I don’t know
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

If the Worcester directors had been in Saudi they would have had their hands removed.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

VernonAtrium wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:08 pm With what happened to Worcester, Wasps, et. al. I'm surprised the RFU hasn't ripped the Saudis' hand off.
Well that would require a speed of thought and reaction of professional standard, not something the RFU are known for :smt044
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Although I don't like the idea of getting into bed with the Saudis, I thnk I'd be more gutted if other clubs got shed loads of money and we missed out!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

ads wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:20 pm Although I don't like the idea of getting into bed with the Saudis, I thnk I'd be more gutted if other clubs got shed loads of money and we missed out!
This is the dilemma facing supporters...

Do we continue, boldly and nobly, as starving artists?

Or do we feast at the top table, knowing that if we don't someone else will?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:13 pm
ads wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:20 pm Although I don't like the idea of getting into bed with the Saudis, I thnk I'd be more gutted if other clubs got shed loads of money and we missed out!
This is the dilemma facing supporters...

Do we continue, boldly and nobly, as starving artists?

Or do we feast at the top table, knowing that if we don't someone else will?
Depends how much Antacid Tablets you have.
To win is not as important as playing with style!