Saudi Arabia in talks to buy stake in Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Saudi Arabia in talks to buy stake in Tigers

Post by GB72 »

I suspect the other teams would not miss out for long. As the money we are talking is less than pocket change for these countries and they like a bit of oneupmanship I suspect that if the Saudis invest, the other oil rich nations will be in soon enough.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ads wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:20 pm Although I don't like the idea of getting into bed with the Saudis, I thnk I'd be more gutted if other clubs got shed loads of money and we missed out!
I'd rather not sully the club's reputation and bin our values irrespective of the amounts involved.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:08 pm
ads wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:20 pm Although I don't like the idea of getting into bed with the Saudis, I thnk I'd be more gutted if other clubs got shed loads of money and we missed out!
I'd rather not sully the club's reputation and bin our values irrespective of the amounts involved.
I’m sorry I must have a different tolerance curve to others as I can’t see how this would sully the clubs reputation or bin its values.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Brutal here , but 'professional' in Sport tends to equate to money.Saudia are simply trying to buy respectability; personally not keen, but in essence,can take a bribe as well as anyone else if it ensures The Clubs future.Much to pass though first, hope this is not the case for anyone,any club, but it will only take one to say 'yes' and the gates are open.
We know the state of Rugby Union finances....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Very easy to claim indignant when currently nothing at stake. I wonder how many posters on here have done business with a local garage group that have recently starting selling cars manufactured by the Chinese state owned car manufacturer
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

As a previous post said, the amount of money will be a pittance to them. The equivalent of us finding a penny on the pavement. Is it worth our while to bend down and pick it up? Probably not, but it may be of use if we want to buy a poppy or something.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

There is no country in the world today that can’t be criticised for one thing or another so Tigers will hopefully decide to do what’s best for the club going forward. Personally I will support the club regardless and for those that think differently that is your decision.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:10 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:19 pm Very easy to claim indignant when currently nothing at stake. I wonder how many posters on here have done business with a local garage group that have recently starting selling cars manufactured by the Chinese state owned car manufacturer
Possibly but it's somewhat impossible to debate this when the mods delete posts all over the place, mainly the ones that disagree with the rumoured investment.
Tbf mods have said they will remove "political" posts. Unfortunately politics are banned from this forum (see forum rules) this is one where the topic at least interscts with politics (certainly a chunk of the opposition to investment is because of the country's politics).

So it's a tough job to moderate a topic that is always skirting the rules.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

I used to watch F1 until I realised that I was just watching money and would never be able to afford a ticket to a race. So I went back to watching rugby, that had not long turned professional. And it was fun, it really was. Great games, great players, lovely staff and fellow fans at Welford Road. I always knew that rugby would go the way of other pro sports, though, and this bit of news, if true, will simply make me appreciate my local town's club all the more. The roar of the Crumbie is in my heart, however. And you can't buy or sell that.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

When the Club was unsuccessfully 'marketed' pre-Covid, and it was subsequently reported that none of the interested parties values aligned with Tiger's values (they may also have not matched the valuation). So, if anything comes of this reported interest, will the Board maintain this line?
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Damned if we do
Damned if we don’t
I see both sides but err towards rather be in than out and try and steer from within rather bomb from the outside !
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:58 pm There is no country in the world today that can’t be criticised for one thing or another so Tigers will hopefully decide to do what’s best for the club going forward. Personally, I will support the club regardless and for those that think differently that is your decision.
Great post and summary. I buy Pirelli tyres and a large number of those are manufactured in SA but I will support whatever the club decides to do. Andrea Pinchen is no fool and I totally trust her to make the correct decision
Hehehehehehehehe
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:21 am
ay2oh wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:58 pm There is no country in the world today that can’t be criticised for one thing or another so Tigers will hopefully decide to do what’s best for the club going forward. Personally, I will support the club regardless and for those that think differently that is your decision.
Great post and summary. I buy Pirelli tyres and a large number of those are manufactured in SA but I will support whatever the club decides to do. Andrea Pinchen is no fool and I totally trust her to make the correct decision
Any decision to sell equity in the club would be made by those who own the equity now, our CEO might have an opinion on the subject, but not as far as I know anything to sell.

I do find it hard to see why an English Rugby Club is a place to invest money in, unless like our present chairman you have a large personal connection with the club, which is why despite some questionable decisions in the past, I am happy with our present ownership model.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

English rugby is ripe for investment but not for immediate financial return.

If you are rich and seeking association with sporting glory, it’s cheaper than English football as well as having more potential openings, given that most Premiership sides are relatively tied up in terms of ownership and headline sponsors & TV.

Sponsors within the UK are relatively limited and perhaps, bar one or two sugar daddies, take a view that it has to be a commercial investment (if not absolutely, to a large extent). If you are awash with oil money, the long term goals may be a little different. Perhaps they are seeking softer ways of entering world sport and wielding influence and even trying to show they are changing. Rugby Union also is seen as being more associated with Royal patronage, public schools and areas they might wish to seek to impress.

For good or bad is a matter of opinion and time may get prove the final answer to that.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Well the Saudis have managed to get Eddie Hearn and Frank Warren in the same room and working together so If they can do that then they are capable of anything! :smt005 funny what a pound note can do though!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer