Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Netflix Documentary

Post by ourla »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... ugby-union

Anyone watched it? Not sure I can be bothered.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Netflix Documentary

Post by westwinds31 »

I'll get around to it over the next few weeks. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly spoke to the creator of it and he was talking about the access to players, what worked well, what could be improved etc. Apparently there's some decent changing room footage that you wouldn't normally see and some behind the scenes stuff with Finn Russell, Genge and Seb Negri, which could be interesting, if you're interested of course !

Need to finish "The Boy who swallowed the Universe" first !!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:34 am https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... ugby-union

Not watched it myself, seen and been told a few things...

Few people I know love it, one found it "not deep enough for "proper rugby fans"

Best description I've heard is "make sure you go in knowing it is made so non-rugby fans can follow and it'll probably entertain you"
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Is this where Finn Russell compares himself to Messi
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:17 pm
ourla wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:34 am https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... ugby-union

Not watched it myself, seen and been told a few things...

Few people I know love it, one found it "not deep enough for "proper rugby fans"

Best description I've heard is "make sure you go in knowing it is made so non-rugby fans can follow and it'll probably entertain you"
Ah, right. Probably not for most of us then,
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:23 pm Is this where Finn Russell compares himself to Messi
I believe so although I don't know the context of the quote so wouldn't like to past judgement.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

ourla wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:45 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:23 pm Is this where Finn Russell compares himself to Messi
I believe so although I don't know the context of the quote so wouldn't like to past judgement.
Apparently very much in jest but that has not stopped a the media, social and otherwise, jumping on it.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:48 pm
Apparently very much in jest but that has not stopped a the media, social and otherwise, jumping on it.
I suspect Russell is one of those sportspeople who is a bit misunderstood. Often having a dry sense of humour doesn't translate well through the media, and comes out the other end as arrogance.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:51 pm
I suspect Russell is one of those sportspeople who is a bit misunderstood. Often having a dry sense of humour doesn't translate well through the media, and comes out the other end as arrogance.
Russell comes over as the maverick over confident type of player, so any comment like that is always possibly going to be misconstrued
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:04 pm

Russell comes over as the maverick over confident type of player, so any comment like that is always possibly going to be misconstrued
If you watch the documentary it's obvious he's joking. Comes across as a likeable but mischievous character.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:21 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:04 pm

If you watch the documentary it's obvious he's joking. Comes across as a likeable but mischievous character.
Thanks and I’m sure you’re right. From some of the reviews it isn’t high on my to view list
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Indeed, and Russell is annoyed. It was obviously a jest but has been edited to look differently. (By the way, who is this Messi?)
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

He's asked in the show if he was a football player who'd be and he's says "Messi" and then laughs. I think some media have amped it up maybe.

The show is pretty good. It's focussed on characters in the games as opposed to the games themselves. First one is Marcus Smith and Fin Russell. Second Ellis Genge and Seb Negri. The third one is Antoine Dupont and Andrew Porter. The coaches are interviewed and you get some unfiltered bits from normally behind closed doors which is interesting.

Pretty easy viewing.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Perhaps it being on Netflix is the problem? With the cost of living having increased many people have slimmed down their costs and I for one don't really want to pay the price for a service i'd hardly use
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:43 pm Perhaps it being on Netflix is the problem? With the cost of living having increased many people have slimmed down their costs and I for one don't really want to pay the price for a service i'd hardly use
Nah Netflix have record numbers of subscribers. Personally I don't have it any more, but there isn't a shortage of potential viewers.