We need to talk about Handré

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Re: We need to talk about Handré

Post by Pellsey »

watsonjm wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:24 am To me he looks shattered. The break will do him and others good.
Maybe you are right! This would make sense.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Pollard made 66m with ball in hand on Saturday, the most of any Tigers player. OK, some of those were kick returns with green grass in front of him, but it's only 4 metres fewer than the much celebrated Irish-Kiwi James Lowe, who topped the stat for Leinster.

Wiese was only a few metres off Caelan Doris, yet I've seen accusations that Wiese was not a threat.

Pollard's touch kicking was the only poor part of his game, IMO. Unfortunately, this is probably what caused most of the difference on the scoreboard. After the missed touch-finder he was being noticeably cautious with kicks to touch, and that's just as problematic as missing altogether.

It looks to me as if something is wrong, maybe it is tiredness, maybe it's an injury that effects his ability to kick from hand... maybe it's psychological, but it is a problem and we won't win many games until it's fixed.

It might even be the same reason he barely featured for Montpellier at the end, but I really hope not.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Still can’t think of many 10’s that I’d sooner have . Every player goes through lean spells so let’s just get behind him.
A2O
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Top class sportsmen/women most certainly cannot permanently maintain their high levels of performance so should be given the necessary slack during their "off periods".
HP is maybe going through one of these periods now, so as ay2oh has written above, get behind him and his class will surely come through.
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I would agree that both Pollard and Montoya made errors on Saturday, but they are still World Class players. Personally I would give them both 3 weeks off after Quins, where hopefully they’ll shine. With the greatest respect to Ealing they won’t be required for that and get them back for the PRC final possibly on the bench.

Just an extra thought. I have no desire to know the ins and outs of player’s personal lives, but through social media the Montoyas have recently had a baby and the Pollards are expecting their first. No matter who you are these things can have an effect
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:38 am I would agree that both Pollard and Montoya made errors on Saturday, but they are still World Class players. Personally I would give them both 3 weeks off after Quins, where hopefully they’ll shine. With the greatest respect to Ealing they won’t be required for that and get them back for the PRC final possibly on the bench.

Just an extra thought. I have no desire to know the ins and outs of player’s personal lives, but through social media the Montoyas have recently had a baby and the Pollards are expecting their first. No matter who you are these things can have an effect
Id be tempted to have Handre on the bench vs Ealing - if he needs game time to get some form then why not in a bit of a less pressure game? His experience will be vital too in what’s likely to be a younger squad.

Otherwise the friendly vs Nottingham but I think I’d rather him have the game time in a competitive match than a friendly. Montoya I agree with though as Vanes and FTT have shown to be more than capable and actually exciting prospects in the 2 shirt going forward.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Ealing play on a plastic pitch don't they? Not worth risking Pollard on that for that opposition if Shillcock or Wilkinson can't do a job at 10 in that game they should be looking for new employment next season.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:02 am Ealing play on a plastic pitch don't they? Not worth risking Pollard on that for that opposition if Shillcock or Wilkinson can't do a job at 10 in that game they should be looking for new employment next season.
Totally agree Shilcock more than capable against Ealing.
I think it’s important to remember that the team that went to Bedford was very inexperienced, on the whole with some loanees in there too. Other than that we were beating Championship sides by 50 points
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:19 pm He fronted up in defence today, his line kicking just looks a little off, equivalent of the hookers "yips" maybe.
It was also noticeable that he carried a lot more than he usually does, almost like he was thinking "it ain't working outside of me, I'll take this on myself". He's not a small bloke either, some of his carries were decent ! Off day from him kicking to touch. Normally has good distance and can get us to at least 10m out more often than not.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

The wind will have been a huge factor for the kickers on Saturday. Both sides had inaccuracies and both scrum halves kicked too long with the wind behind, and too short kicking into the wind. Throughout the match I could see the 2 flags on top of the Crumbie blowing in 2 different directions. Pollard is top draw but he too will have found it difficult.
As Good As It Gets
INTHESINBIN

Post by INTHESINBIN »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:02 am Ealing play on a plastic pitch don't they? Not worth risking Pollard on that for that opposition if Shillcock or Wilkinson can't do a job at 10 in that game they should be looking for new employment next season.
I don't think Shilcock has given any indication he is not capable of doing the job, Ealing or not. Cast your memory back to the start of this season. Wilkinson yet to be given a big opportunity but be good to see how he goes. After having let C.Atkinson go, I am not sure they would be eyeing up another 10.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scuttle wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:33 pm The wind will have been a huge factor for the kickers on Saturday. Both sides had inaccuracies and both scrum halves kicked too long with the wind behind, and too short kicking into the wind. Throughout the match I could see the 2 flags on top of the Crumbie blowing in 2 different directions. Pollard is top draw but he too will have found it difficult.
Your probably right, but the Leinster 10 kicked brilliantly for touch and consistently took his team to within 10m, while Pollard missed one and then went super cautious, seemingly happy to barely get into the 22.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Right now with Farrell leaving Sarries it suggests there may be a Fly Half merry-go-round this season. We have one of the best fly halves in the world let's do our best to keep him and see where other teams end up.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:22 pm Right now with Farrell leaving Sarries it suggests there may be a Fly Half merry-go-round this season. We have one of the best fly halves in the world let's do our best to keep him and see where other teams end up.
Agree 100%. It’s really hard to win anything without an international class fly half and there aren’t that many going round.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Am I right in saying Pollard is in the 2nd year of a 3 year deal