Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

1. Genge 2. George 3. Stuart 4. Itoje 5. Chessum

Think the front 5 pick themselves. Think we need to give Stuart time at tighthead especially against Italy.

The backrow though I’m kind of all over the place. Earl starts somewhere and wanted Barbeary but he isn’t available. I’d pick Pearson at 6 because he’s a jumper but could really be anyone. Could also be CSS, Underhill, Earl, who knows. Personally prefer Earl at 7.

6. Pearson 7. Earl 8. Dombrandt

Think the backs we can be flexible with and rest some options. Lets see what some of the Saints players can do in the backline.

9. Mitchell 10. Ford 11. Roebuck 12. Dingwall 13. Slade 14. Freeman 15. Furbank

16. Dan 17. Obano 18. Heyes 19. Coles 20. Underhill 21. Spencer 22. F Smith 23. Daly
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Some good calls there …I think he will go with Marler over Genge though
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

A lot of interesting decisions to be made across all areas

I’d go for

Steward
Roebuck
Slade
Dingwall
Freeman
Smith
Mitchell
Obano
George
Stewart
Itoje
Chessum
Roots
Earl
Dombrant

Bench, Dann, Genge, Heyes Coles, Pearson, Care, Smith, Daley
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think selection depends on who you trust to start against the bigger nations. No point throwing in Finn Smith against Italy if you're then gonna go for the safety of Ford against the others - very hard for any of the newer players to prove anything against Italy, so let's use it as an opportunity to build momentum and continuity for the tougher games to come.

If Borthwick's tactics are the same as in the world cup, then it needs to be the likes of Roebuck and Ford who get the nod.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wigglesworth commenting that Marcus Smith pulled up while jogging and one of the physios close by took him away. Hadn’t heard anything about the crutches
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Marcus Smith now confirmed as missing the Italy match. It’s a calf injury they’ve had a scan and are waiting for a 2nd opinion
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Just don't see Stewart as an international prop.

I would be tempted to go with Heyes.

Finn Smith at fly half.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I totally agree and think Stuart has had so many throws of the dice and Heyes has been in great form and thoroughly deserves his turn after his and the packs performances against Sarries, Saints, Stade and Leinster but really can’t see it with Borthwick though…he will almost certainly go Marler, George and Stuart or Cole with Cole or Stuart on the bench as he can’t let go of his views…I don’t think he will start Genge but he will likely be on the bench as SB won’t risk anything new to his front row.
That said totally agree re Fin Smith and think Root, Freeman and maybe Cunningham-South will get their chance as I think Wiggy will add something new to the backs and retain Care and Ford in the 23 for their experience …when do we find out ?
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

KiwiTig wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:14 am I totally agree and think Stuart has had so many throws of the dice and Heyes has been in great form and thoroughly deserves his turn after his and the packs performances against Sarries, Saints, Stade and Leinster but really can’t see it with Borthwick though…he will almost certainly go Marler, George and Stuart or Cole with Cole or Stuart on the bench as he can’t let go of his views despite neither being in form that deserves selection…I don’t think he will start Genge either but he will likely be on the bench as SB won’t risk anything new to his front row and will probably rightly keep faith with Itoje and Chessum (if fit)
That said totally agree re Fin Smith and think Root, Freeman and maybe Cunningham-South will get their chance as I think Wiggy will add something new to the attacking options and retain Care and Ford in the 23 for their experience …when do we find out ?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

KiwiTig wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:48 am
KiwiTig wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:14 am I totally agree and think Stuart has had so many throws of the dice and Heyes has been in great form and thoroughly deserves his turn after his and the packs performances against Sarries, Saints, Stade and Leinster but really can’t see it with Borthwick though…he will almost certainly go Marler, George and Stuart or Cole with Cole or Stuart on the bench as he can’t let go of his views despite neither being in form that deserves selection…I don’t think he will start Genge either but he will likely be on the bench as SB won’t risk anything new to his front row and will probably rightly keep faith with Itoje and Chessum (if fit)
That said totally agree re Fin Smith and think Root, Freeman and maybe Cunningham-South will get their chance as I think Wiggy will add something new to the attacking options and retain Care and Ford in the 23 for their experience …when do we find out ?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

https://youtu.be/v83eu4brKuk?si=rZ77v37LuZJqtrpo

Latest episode of Inside line

Team announced tomorrow
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Here's the French team for Friday evening's opening match, and it's as expected.

I'm really hoping that Racing scrum half, Nolan Le Garrec, gets more than 5 minutes at the end of the game to be properly tested at international level, because I'm convinced he has the potential to keep Antoine Dupont on his toes!

15. Ramos ; 14. Penaud, 13. Fickou, 12. Danty , 11. Moefana ; 10. Jalibert, 9. Lucu ; 7. Ollivon, 8. Alldritt (cap.), 6. Cros ; 5. Willemse, 4. Gabrillagues ; 3. Atonio, 2. Mauvaka, 1. Baille

Remplaçants : 16. Marchand, 17. Wardi, 18. Aldegheri, 19. R. Taofifenua, 20. Woki, 21. Boudehent, 22. Le Garrec, 23. Bielle-Biarrey.
Semper in excretia
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:19 am https://twitter.com/willgkelleher/statu ... lhI0A&s=19

Alex Mitchell is now a doubt
Losing both Smith and potentially Mitchell would be a big loss !
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

KiwiTig wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:45 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:19 am https://twitter.com/willgkelleher/statu ... lhI0A&s=19

Alex Mitchell is now a doubt
Losing both Smith and potentially Mitchell would be a big loss !
It has fallen in the worst way as there would be strong case to play Care and M Smith or Mitchell and F Smith but now we have lost half of each pairing.

Would like to see us make more of club pairings in the team especially with either the Quins or Northampton backs. We rarely seem to do that yet complain that Ireland have the benefit of players at Leinster playing together every week.