2024 Six Nations Chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:52 am Really surprised that Cole has been picked.

I don't understand Slade and Spencer - difficult to comprehend how they weren't deemed good enough for the last World Cup, but are part of the planning for the next one, which they have very little chance of playing in.
This seasons form for both of them has demanded their inclusion, and both will be younger by next World Cup than Care was at this one
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:52 am Really surprised that Cole has been picked.

I don't understand Slade and Spencer - difficult to comprehend how they weren't deemed good enough for the last World Cup, but are part of the planning for the next one, which they have very little chance of playing in.
This is the inherent problem with sport in this country as a whole. There are so many calls for developing new players but with the massive caveat that any management team is going to get slaughtered if they do not win. That leads to defensive selections of people that can do a job now rather than building on who can do a job in the future.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:57 am

This seasons form for both of them has demanded their inclusion, and both will be younger by next World Cup than Care was at this one
I'd argue they haven't done much differently to previous seasons, Spencer is just surrounded by a decent team for the first time in years and Slade has been given regular kicking duties and Chiefs were good while all the internationals were away.

They should both be in there, but they both should have been in for the world cup too. Neither is a better player now than 6 months ago.

You're right, neither would be the oldest ever to play in a world cup, but it isn't the norm.
Jamo333

Post by Jamo333 »

Hatherell played lock for Worcester and Hanro can come in if necessary
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:02 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:57 am

I'd argue they haven't done much differently to previous seasons, Spencer is just surrounded by a decent team for the first time in years and Slade has been given regular kicking duties and Chiefs were good while all the internationals were away.

They should both be in there, but they both should have been in for the world cup too. Neither is a better player now than 6 months ago.

You're right, neither would be the oldest ever to play in a world cup, but it isn't the norm.
You’re right too, both should have been included. I also agree about Cole not sure what he’s bringing different to Painter other than 100 plus caps.
Slightly more worrying to me is the inclusion of Manu on the rehab list, he’s shot imo time to move on
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

The "fringe" players, as you may call them ie: Beard will be back for Quins vs Tigers surely ? Unless he's in the 23 for England.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Mixed squad for me - overall good. But with everything Borthwick there’s some strange calls.

Do Beard and CCS really deserve to be in the squad - for me they don’t with Radwan and Barbeary.

Surely we should be looking a bit more into the future and moving on from Marler and Cole. Highly doubt they’ll be around for the next WC.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:33 am The "fringe" players, as you may call them ie: Beard will be back for Quins vs Tigers surely ? Unless he's in the 23 for England.
I don’t believe so it’s a week before the Italy match I don’t think they will release anyone
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:38 am Mixed squad for me - overall good. But with everything Borthwick there’s some strange calls.

Do Beard and CCS really deserve to be in the squad - for me they don’t with Radwan and Barbeary.

Surely we should be looking a bit more into the future and moving on from Marler and Cole. Highly doubt they’ll be around for the next WC.
It’s the old argument of evolution over revolution, players like that have so much experience to pass on and have time to do so, will Jamie George at 37 still be around.
Beard is as much a centre as wing and Radwan for all pace is a very limited player. CCS has been playing well and is the long term replacement for Lawes imo
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

The squad aside, which I think is decent on the whole, experience plus players that are on fire for their clubs, on the coaching front, it's night and day. Eddie Jones would have been well into the mind games, chit-chat and general verbals, whereas I haven't seen anything from Borthwick since the end of the World Cup. Whatever the perception is of his style of play and approach, I'm pretty sure he's not the kind of coach to sit on his hands. He's clever enough to know that England need to expand their style and hopefully the coaching changes will reflect that on the field. I'm optimistic that we're on the right track.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Reading about some of the interviews with Borthwick, it looks like one reason for his omission was the disciplinary hearing tonight. Guessing the advice from the RFU lawyers was that a significant ban was likely.

Not sure how it is going to work though as with the gap in the season, a ban for several weeks could actually result in missing only a match or two.
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Staggered that he hasn’t had a look at Barbeary or Mercer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

MrG2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:01 pm Staggered that he hasn’t had a look at Barbeary or Mercer
Mercer is playing in a poor team Barbeary likely to receive a longish ban for 2 reds in the same game
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:08 pm
MrG2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:01 pm Staggered that he hasn’t had a look at Barbeary or Mercer
Mercer is playing in a poor team Barbeary likely to receive a longish ban for 2 reds in the same game
Thought you couldn’t get a ban for 2 yellows but I’ll stand corrected. Surely playing well in a poor team will be ideal for England
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

MrG2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:37 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:08 pm
Thought you couldn’t get a ban for 2 yellows but I’ll stand corrected. Surely playing well in a poor team will be ideal for England
I read that both were subsequently upgraded to reds!