Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Rugbygramps »

MrG2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:37 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:08 pm
MrG2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:01 pm Staggered that he hasn’t had a look at Barbeary or Mercer
Mercer is playing in a poor team Barbeary likely to receive a longish ban for 2 reds in the same game
Thought you couldn’t get a ban for 2 yellows but I’ll stand corrected. Surely playing well in a poor team will be ideal for England
Both offences were upgraded to reds by the citing commissioner, so in effect he was awarded 2 reds in the same game. Sorry I thought that had been widely reported
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:47 pm
MrG2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:37 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:08 pm

Mercer is playing in a poor team Barbeary likely to receive a longish ban for 2 reds in the same game
Thought you couldn’t get a ban for 2 yellows but I’ll stand corrected. Surely playing well in a poor team will be ideal for England
Both offences were upgraded to reds by the citing commissioner, so in effect he was awarded 2 reds in the same game. Sorry I thought that had been widely reported
Ahh missed that my apologies
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

You can get a ban for two yellow cards if they are for foul play (high tackle/ punching etc) rather than for what can be classed as technical cards (team offence, collapsing scrum / maul, offside / cynical slowing down of play close to line, deliberate knock ons etc)
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

In his interview Borthwick has stated that Barbeary’s non-selection at this point was influenced by the disciplinary issue as he will ‘definitely’ be featuring in the team in the future.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

MCC1964 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:04 pm In his interview Borthwick has stated that Barbeary’s non-selection at this point was influenced by the disciplinary issue as he will ‘definitely’ be featuring in the team in the future.
So this is probably all about the ban.

So although the ban is given in weeks it only counts if there is a "meaningful game"

So if he's in the initial training squad he becomes ineligible for Bath's last prem game by virtue of being in the squad.

If he's called up after that before the first match he'll vet the ban over sooner..
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

That squad is all the place for me, opportunity missed.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:01 pm That squad is all the place for me, opportunity missed.
So who are you picking instead ?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I'm disappointed with the apparent demise of No8 Zach Mercer. Top14 player of the season with Montpellier, who became Top14 champions; encouraged by Eddie Jones to return to the Premiership to qualify for England; joined Gloucester, who haven't exactly set the Premiership alight; he had an unfortunate injury and has now been overtaken by other pretenders for the No8 shirt.
Bet he wished he'd stayed in France where his bank balance would surely have been looking a lot healthier.

Tom Willis is another 8, who starred for Union Bordeaux/Bègles before coming back to the Premiership with Saracens and got injured.

Two outstanding 8s who have been left in the cold and so Borthers has gone with Dombrandt, and I'm not exactly his number one fan, and Cunningham-South who I honestly don't know much about.
Rather sad innit?
Semper in excretia
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:29 pm I'm disappointed with the apparent demise of No8 Zach Mercer. Top14 player of the season with Montpellier, who became Top14 champions; encouraged by Eddie Jones to return to the Premiership to qualify for England; joined Gloucester, who haven't exactly set the Premiership alight; he had an unfortunate injury and has now been overtaken by other pretenders for the No8 shirt.
Bet he wished he'd stayed in France where his bank balance would surely have been looking a lot healthier.

Tom Willis is another 8, who starred for Union Bordeaux/Bègles before coming back to the Premiership with Saracens and got injured.

Two outstanding 8s who have been left in the cold and so Borthers has gone with Dombrandt, and I'm not exactly his number one fan, and Cunningham-South who I honestly don't know much about.
Rather sad innit?
I agree, Mercer should be ahead of Dombrandt, particularly with Borthwick's style of play.

There seems to be a strong preference for players from in form teams. Not sure if that's deliberate, but most things with Borthwick are.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:32 pm
Robespierre wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:29 pm I'm disappointed with the apparent demise of No8 Zach Mercer. Top14 player of the season with Montpellier, who became Top14 champions; encouraged by Eddie Jones to return to the Premiership to qualify for England; joined Gloucester, who haven't exactly set the Premiership alight; he had an unfortunate injury and has now been overtaken by other pretenders for the No8 shirt.

Rather sad innit?
I agree, Mercer should be ahead of Dombrandt, particularly with Borthwick's style of play.

There seems to be a strong preference for players from in form teams. Not sure if that's deliberate, but most things with Borthwick are.
I wonder if Dombrandt is in for Barbeary due to the ban. Cunningham South almost strikes me as an apprentice type. It seems it was him or Mercer. I really rate Mercer but maybe, as with every backrow, it’s about the balance Borthwick wants.

I really like the fact he’s put stock on premiership form. That must be a step in the right direction.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Rather sad innit?
I’m assuming Tom Willis is injured still for Saracens. Mercer is a strange one, again only just back from long term injury. Dombrandt has been playing well for Quins and CCS has been very effective since moving to 6
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tigers86asw wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:58 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Rather sad innit?

I wonder if Dombrandt is in for Barbeary due to the ban. Cunningham South almost strikes me as an apprentice type. It seems it was him or Mercer. I really rate Mercer but maybe, as with every backrow, it’s about the balance Borthwick wants.

I really like the fact he’s put stock on premiership form. That must be a step in the right direction.
Gloucester isn’t exactly an in-form team at the moment and morale could be low (with LRZ off too, there could be some truth in that)
Semper in excretia
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:11 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:01 pm That squad is all the place for me, opportunity missed.
I wouldn't have selected players who have zero chance of making the next RWC. You get few free hits arms an International Coach, Borthwick is wasting his.
Last edited by Wayne Richardson Fan Club on Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

For me Jones biggest error was to treat the 6Nations with contempt team selection was always with T the World Cup in mind and consequently experimental. For me the next match or tournament is the most important, selection is based on the best players regardless of age. Cole I agree is unlikely to feature at the next World Cup but at the moment he is possibly the best tighthead, Joe Heyes is not far behind and offers a little more mobility, by the end of the 6 Nations Borthwick may have changed his current thinking and that could apply in other positions too. I have no doubt that in the years time some not even considered at present will have forced their way into the squad and others thought to be nailed on will be out of the reckoning.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:13 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:11 pm
I wouldn't have selected players who have zero chance of making the next RWC. You get few free hits arms an International Coach, Borthwick is wasting his.
O’Mahony has been named captain of the Ireland side. He’s 34.