Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Time to move on.

Despite the hammering we got in La Rochelle, the only way we go out is Sale beating La Rochelle next weekend.

Leinster have all but ensured top spot in the group with a 5 point cushion, will they go full noise next week?

I hope we go full strength tbh, we need the likes of Scott to have match time starting IMO.

Looking at the rules btw I can't see anything saying we can't face a pool opponent in the last 16 so it is entirely possible we have a trip to Leinster in the last 16 too...

So my team

Steward
Bassett
Scott
Kelly
Hassell-Collins
Pollard
Youngs
Cronin
Montoya
Heyes
Chessum
Martin
Liebenberg
Reffell
Wiese

Theobald-Thomas
Whitcombe
Cole
Wells
Hatherall
Van Poortvliet/Whiteley
Shillcock
Kata
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by sam16111986 »

I'd agree we need to go all guns blazing for this game. There's only two games, including this one, to the international break. We need to try and get some momentum for the Quins game which is a big one in terms of where we want our season to go.

Leinster know most of their side will disappear to the 6N so may well send a rotated side and try to rest some of those bigger names. They'll still be a quality outfit so we'll have to be on it but we should always be looking to put our best foot forward at Welford Road.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by ay2oh »

We are almost certain to finish 4th in our group so is it worth risking injuries when we will probably lose anyway. Saying that we don’t want a big beating at Welford Rd so difficult choice for McKellar.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:41 am We are almost certain to finish 4th in our group so is it worth risking injuries when we will probably lose anyway. Saying that we don’t want a big beating at Welford Rd so difficult choice for McKellar.
1. We are currently 3rd in the group and any win sees us stay 3rd. Leinster are already all but assured of 1st in the group, so unlike La Rochelle they probably won't be at full strength (even if a slightly rotated side will be favorites)

2. We have struggled this season the week after rotating (see Bristol and Exeter games after rotation) so I'd rather all our team go into Quins match sharp.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:51 am
ay2oh wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:41 am We are almost certain to finish 4th in our group so is it worth risking injuries when we will probably lose anyway. Saying that we don’t want a big beating at Welford Rd so difficult choice for McKellar.
1. We are currently 3rd in the group and any win sees us stay 3rd. Leinster are already all but assured of 1st in the group, so unlike La Rochelle they probably won't be at full strength (even if a slightly rotated side will be favorites)

2. We have struggled this season the week after rotating (see Bristol and Exeter games after rotation) so I'd rather all our team go into Quins match sharp.
Leinster May have qualified top of the group but they will want overall top ranking in the round of 16 so can’t see them rotating too much. Also being realistic do you think we are likely to get within 7 points of them regardless of who they select ?
A2O
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Worth remembering we lose England players for the Quins game, so this is the last game with everyone together. As a result, i expect we will go full noise.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I wonder if Tigers are not rushing JVP to stop England getting their hands on him for the six nations?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TMC

Post by TMC »

Out half may be an issue for Leinster, Ross Byrne medium term injured – back training so possibly close to coming back, Harry Byrne got injured during training last week and Ciaran Frawley was subbed off on Saturday after taking a huge tackle to the kidneys of top of blocking a massive kick with his face. Kick hit his face and rebounded into the opposite touch - ouch!

So Leinster could be down to the bare bones at 10 with Charlier Tector (Academy) and Prendergast (who should still be in the academy but got a senior contract because Ulster tried to tempt him out of the Leinster academy with the lure of a senior contract with them) as the only 10s standing.

I’d be watching the injury updates if I was a Tigers fan
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:10 am Time to move on.

Despite the hammering we got in La Rochelle, the only way we go out is Sale beating La Rochelle next weekend.

Leinster have all but ensured top spot in the group with a 5 point cushion, will they go full noise next week?

I hope we go full strength tbh, we need the likes of Scott to have match time starting IMO.

Looking at the rules btw I can't see anything saying we can't face a pool opponent in the last 16 so it is entirely possible we have a trip to Leinster in the last 16 too...

So my team

Steward
Bassett
Scott
Kelly
Hassell-Collins
Pollard
Youngs
Cronin
Montoya
Heyes
Chessum
Martin
Liebenberg
Reffell
Wiese

Theobald-Thomas
Whitcombe
Cole
Wells
Hatherall
Van Poortvliet/Whiteley
Shillcock
Kata
Id swap OHC for Steward and play Brown at FB, Whitley i believe has played far better than Lenny also so far.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Leinster at Welford Road... has to be the strongest team available, surely?

I don't see Leinster resting anyone, they tend to do all their resting in the league and put out the best team in all European and international matches.

Need a big performance, even if not a win, for some momentum leading up to Quins. Confidence is everything, and another battering will not be helpful.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

If for no other reason, we need people through the turnstiles and if you start putting out weakened teams for home matches, those numbers are going to start dropping. At the very least, every home match should have as much of a first team out as possible to show respect to the fans if nothing else.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I will be controversial: play what ever team is likely to play v Quins.
The England squad is chosen on Wednesday. For me, much as we love Dan Cole, his England days ought to be over, but Borthwick will pick him.
Rumour is that Mahler’s nearly fit so will play v us. Quins won’t have many missing!
If, big if, we don’t play Heyes, Chessum, Martin, then when they come back hopefully should play, injuries permitting, for the rest of the season for us. Steward could be out for a few weeks anyway and Watson! If he goes off to the England squad I will be amazed! JVP needs some game time but I thought Chessum needed it after his injury but Borthwick put him in the World Cup squad!
Leinster will be tough but at home with Pollard hoping to find his true form, we could surprise them!
Having said all the above I believe we will put out our strongest side.
Tigers’ fans attending Welford Road will want to see the best players playing.
It’s a short season!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He played there in the RWC and with McKeller before I would honestly like to see Kata on the wing for a game we have a narrow pitch use it.
1. Cronin
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Martin
5. Wells
6. Chessum
7. Reffell
8. Wiese
9. Youngs
10. Pollard
11. Kata
12. Kelly
13. Scott
14. OHC (?) (Bassett)
15. Steward(?)(Brown)

16. FTT
17. Whitcombe
18. Heyes
19. Hanro(?) (Carter)
20. Hatherall
21. JVP? (Whiteley)
22. Shillcock
23. Simmons
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:10 am Time to move on.

So my team

Steward
Bassett
Scott
Kelly
Hassell-Collins
Pollard
Youngs
Cronin
Montoya
Heyes
Chessum
Martin
Liebenberg
Reffell
Wiese

Theobald-Thomas
Whitcombe
Cole
Wells
Hatherall
Van Poortvliet/Whiteley
Shillcock
Kata
I'd go Watson over Bassett if fit but i guess its a big if!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:27 pm Leinster at Welford Road... has to be the strongest team available, surely
Agreed