Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

ads wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:47 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:10 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:20 pm

That's generally true, but what is most true is that the team that kicks the most metres is almost certain to win, particularly when the difference is as big as it was vs Leinster, because of the amount of territory it gives.
So.....lets kick more?
Yes, if they're good kicks. If they're gonna be rubbish I'd say no....
How do you know if it’s a good or bad kick until you’ve kicked it ?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:36 pm
ads wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:47 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:10 pm
So.....lets kick more?
Yes, if they're good kicks. If they're gonna be rubbish I'd say no....
How do you know if it’s a good or bad kick until you’ve kicked it ?
Not necessarily kick more - kick further!
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Following this debate on to kick or not to kick what about the variation of kick.

I see this aerial ping pong as overdone. Sure a high CHASEABLE ball just short of the 22 has potential but if you want to tempt a knocking you're better with a considered hack through/grubber, and not to the normal ball handlers but a 19 stone 6' 6" lock who has to bend and think at the sametime (I await the obligatory slap on the back of the head) but I'm sure you get my drift.

Variety in plays should include variety in kicks and not just more or less tennis.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:03 pm Following this debate on to kick or not to kick what about the variation of kick.

I see this aerial ping pong as overdone. Sure a high CHASEABLE ball just short of the 22 has potential but if you want to tempt a knocking you're better with a considered hack through/grubber, and not to the normal ball handlers but a 19 stone 6' 6" lock who has to bend and think at the sametime (I await the obligatory slap on the back of the head) but I'm sure you get my drift.

Variety in plays should include variety in kicks and not just more or less tennis.
Variety is important, but when kicking from your own half a higher kick will allow the chase more time to get there, and give more time for your defence to be prepared.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:08 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:03 pm Following this debate on to kick or not to kick what about the variation of kick.

Variety is important, but when kicking from your own half a higher kick will allow the chase more time to get there, and give more time for your defence to be prepared.
I follow your thinking and at kicks such as kick-off I agree. As we know the reasons for kicks are many and varied. Territory gain, pressure clearance, wingers running onto etc.

It's the endless 22 to 22 challenge between pro backs who have a high catch rate. If I want to see amateurs missing and knocking on I can get my fill in the half-time entertainment.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

I just listened to Tigers rugby shows interviews with DMK after La Rochelle he was saying they lacked detail in their play. In relation to Leinster he said they only trained for 2 days - I know it’s a shorter turnaround between games but I’m surprised at only 2 days training, especially with the earlier comments. I’ve also heard mention of the ‘22 games in a row’ perhaps he didn’t experience that down under - think he I’ll need to get used to it PDQ
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Maybe not a popular opinion but until the offside law with regard to kicking from hand is amended, getting players to retire more than 10 yards from the receiving player and keep moving backwards, these games of kick tennis will continue, it allows forwards to take a breather and there are many occasions where significant territory has been made by one side or another due to kicking error
coolbawn

Post by coolbawn »

So much could be said in answer to (not many) posters complaining about how unfair it is that there are only 4 Irish provinces, they have huge budgets and it's not even worth playing in Europe. A few points:
1. A transnational competition will always involve apples playing pears playing oranges - and that's surely the joy of it. The playing field will always be uneven in parts. In all countries other than France, supporters actually think that things are heavily biased your way !
2. If the provinces spent their (sometimes) bigger budget on recruiting the quality and quantity of overseas players from the global pond like English clubs do, it would indeed be unfair. But they can't / choose not to. You probably have more NEQ forwards than there are NIQ players in the whole of Ireland. So the playing field is not so uneven really.
3. As Leinster are good, they have about 19 players in the Ireland squad, so they do need a lot of players to replace the internationalists at various times in the year. They have to pay them enough to keep them in Ireland. That's difficult when excess wages are paid in England.
4. Those of us outside Leinster would like a more even spread of talent but until that happens, our provinces just have to improve.
5. There are (seriously) barely enough IQ props for the provinces to survive (can we have Cronin back please). Insisting on playing the Irish AIL clubs is therefore not a solution, even if some of you dream of it !!
6. Spare a thought for the other 3 provinces. We always have to play Leinster twice a year before any URC or European knockouts. We also have to play SA provinces with huge forwards at altitude in the heat after flying. But the philosophy is that playing those big matches forces the provinces to improve (development and coaching).
7. You gave Leinster a big fight. They may be on the wane. If we all improve faster than them, they really will wane. I don't see what the problem is - except for (very few) people who feel entitled to beating the Celts and Italians.
8. They last won in Europe 6 years and 12 years ago yet they get inside (a few) people's heads a lot.
9. At least Leinster play rugby which is easy on the eye.
10. Good luck in Dublin. Saints beat up BOD and co there a few years ago ..... Ulster and Munster have beaten them there in big matches recently. It doesn't have to be a team with Skelton in the 2nd row.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

coolbawn wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:54 pm So much could be said in answer to (not many) posters complaining about how unfair it is that there are only 4 Irish provinces, they have huge budgets and it's not even worth playing in Europe. A few points:
1. A transnational competition will always involve apples playing pears playing oranges - and that's surely the joy of it. The playing field will always be uneven in parts. In all countries other than France, supporters actually think that things are heavily biased your way !
2. If the provinces spent their (sometimes) bigger budget on recruiting the quality and quantity of overseas players from the global pond like English clubs do, it would indeed be unfair. But they can't / choose not to. You probably have more NEQ forwards than there are NIQ players in the whole of Ireland. So the playing field is not so uneven really.
3. As Leinster are good, they have about 19 players in the Ireland squad, so they do need a lot of players to replace the internationalists at various times in the year. They have to pay them enough to keep them in Ireland. That's difficult when excess wages are paid in England.
4. Those of us outside Leinster would like a more even spread of talent but until that happens, our provinces just have to improve.
5. There are (seriously) barely enough IQ props for the provinces to survive (can we have Cronin back please). Insisting on playing the Irish AIL clubs is therefore not a solution, even if some of you dream of it !!
6. Spare a thought for the other 3 provinces. We always have to play Leinster twice a year before any URC or European knockouts. We also have to play SA provinces with huge forwards at altitude in the heat after flying. But the philosophy is that playing those big matches forces the provinces to improve (development and coaching).
7. You gave Leinster a big fight. They may be on the wane. If we all improve faster than them, they really will wane. I don't see what the problem is - except for (very few) people who feel entitled to beating the Celts and Italians.
8. They last won in Europe 6 years and 12 years ago yet they get inside (a few) people's heads a lot.
9. At least Leinster play rugby which is easy on the eye.
10. Good luck in Dublin. Saints beat up BOD and co there a few years ago ..... Ulster and Munster have beaten them there in big matches recently. It doesn't have to be a team with Skelton in the 2nd row.
Always great to hear from Munster fans and you make many good points. We are just feeling sorry for ourselves due to us having an average season to date. With a full strength team we are a match for most but we have quite a few absentees at present and a newish head coach so may be a couple of seasons before we reap the rewards. By the way rumour is Cronin going back to Munster but May just be paper talk. Hope we meet you soon as I would love another trip to Limerick.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Excellent points made by our friend from Munster.

I expect the same can be said of many competitions but I do find it a little annoying that if posters had been asked to name the top 2 seeds after the pool stages, before a ball was kicked, Leinster and Toulouse would have been a lot of peoples picks
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Last 16 game 8pm kick off on April 6th
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:03 am Last 16 game 8pm kick off on April 6th
At the stadium formerly known as Lansdowne Road not the RDS.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Caerlyr Osprey wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:15 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:03 am Last 16 game 8pm kick off on April 6th
It’s something I have an issue with. If they get a home semi which they have to play at a neutral venue in the same country, they play it at the Aviva which they play a load of games at anyway
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:38 am
It’s something I have an issue with. If they get a home semi which they have to play at a neutral venue in the same country, they play it at the Aviva which they play a load of games at anyway
This is something that needs tightening up. Perhaps the definition of a neutral venue is one that you have not played any of the previous rounds at.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

GB72 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:43 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:38 am

This is something that needs tightening up. Perhaps the definition of a neutral venue is one that you have not played any of the previous rounds at.
Then again, we get a chunk of the ticket money so we may as well lose at a sold out Aviva and cash in. :smt038