Alan Dickens - Tigers lack of attack coach.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Alan Dickens - Tigers lack of attack coach.

Post by GB72 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:26 am Allegations made against any individual, which later are proved to be unfounded or cleared, do take there toll on the person both mentally and physically.........you can say things that cause harm but you cannot take the words back......the pain still remains and stressful.
Totally agree and actually think that the majority of this has been handled well. Nothing in the press, just handled outside of the public eye as it should be. It is only now that it is starting to raise issues and I hope that now it is out, it does not trigger the press to start digging (you know how they love a shot at the RFU) and undo all that good work in handling it correctly in private. Hoping all parties can reach a swift and amicable solution whatever that may be.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

As we know from the Paddy Jackson incident being cleared doesn’t stop people’s perception of you.
A2O
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:18 am We've had this story on our podcast for a while now - since November - i am glad it is now public knowledge so this may now get resolved either way. For multiple reasons we were never in a position to say anything.

The allegations regarding Dickens probably won't become public for legal reasons however they are not important as they are no longer the story, as he has now been proven innocent. What is the story is, is why has he not come back to work, given several weeks have passed since he was cleared. From what i have been told and what the reaction has been since Radio Leicester went with the story, something does not add up.
I respect your opinion as you will have more knowledge of the events than I but I don't see why think things don't 'add up'. It may be the club feels that Dickens had a duty to tell the club about the investigation before he joined and by not doing so they feel they have a case for dismissal. Or, given he has been unable to work due the ongoing case, he never completed his probationary period and again the club feel they have a case for dismissal. Or, Dickens is unwell as a consequence of the case or from a completely unrelated reason so is unable to return to work. Just a few scenarios but there are so many possibilities all of which could mean the club is prevented either legally or through their duty of care for an employees health and privacy to not be in a position to speak publicly about the situation. Sometimes I think we are all guilty of feeling we are owed far more from the club than we have the right to be given and see issues where there may be nothing. Equally no organisation is perfect and mistakes in PR are made by many - they shouldn't be pilloried if it is the case here. I read comments about Red Bull suggesting their handling of Horner shows how things should be done - If I was Horner I would be livid if I knew I was not guilty of anything that they have released so much information about internal and not criminal matters. They'll look pretty daft he walks out and sues them for breach of privacy and constructive dismissal.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:40 am As we know from the Paddy Jackson incident being cleared doesn’t stop people’s perception of you.
That was a criminal trial. The level of proof is rightly set high for criminal cases with “Beyond reasonable doubt” as the measure. Crimes are tried by courts and decided by a jury in public scrutiny.
His case did not meet the threshold for conviction but the evidence given suggested that his behaviour fell well below the level that most of us would consider remotely acceptable.

I think Northern Ireland is like England with a binary Guilty/Not Guilty verdict. We can only speculate if the option of Not Proven was available.

Civil cases and workplace tribunals generally work on the balance of probabilities.
Last edited by mol2 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:18 am We've had this story on our podcast for a while now - since November - i am glad it is now public knowledge so this may now get resolved either way. For multiple reasons we were never in a position to say anything.

The allegations regarding Dickens probably won't become public for legal reasons however they are not important as they are no longer the story, as he has now been proven innocent. What is the story is, is why has he not come back to work, given several weeks have passed since he was cleared. From what i have been told and what the reaction has been since Radio Leicester went with the story, something does not add up.
Various posters have said that allegations made etc can have a long lasting effect on someone even when the prove to be unfounded. As mentioned above he has been proven not guilty so that is no longer the issue. It would now appear to be a breakdown in communication, which may b caused on Dickens side by the impact of the hearings etc.
I fully respect an individuals right to privacy, imo it has now reached the stage where for both parties it would be better being brought to a close. I hope something more can be done to reach a resolution
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:51 am

Various posters have said that allegations made etc can have a long lasting effect on someone even when the prove to be unfounded. As mentioned above he has been proven not guilty so that is no longer the issue. It would now appear to be a breakdown in communication, which may b caused on Dickens side by the impact of the hearings etc.
I fully respect an individuals right to privacy, imo it has now reached the stage where for both parties it would be better being brought to a close. I hope something more can be done to reach a resolution
I am certain that both sides are trying to achieve this but this is the very reason neither side are in a position to speak about it
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

As I see it there has been a situation which quite rightly has been viewed as confidential by the parties directly concerned. It appears that the situation is now resolved but the emotional consequences of the situation are needing time to get over. Our team whilst not performing as well as we fans would like are not currently doing too badly, in short we are coping with being a coach down. At this stage of the season would we gain by bringing in a temporary coach or actually making a permanent change or are we better to continue as we are plus possibly the gradual reintroduction of our attack coach. Obviously the situation has to be resolved before our next pre-season but maybe we do not need to do anything before then.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

TigerXV wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:56 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:51 am

I am certain that both sides are trying to achieve this but this is the very reason neither side are in a position to speak about it
I am not calling for the allegations to be made public, I don't see why there is any need for that to take place, especially now he has been cleared.

From what I can make out, Leicester have played this pretty well throughout given how sensitive the situation has been. However in recent weeks questions now arise because there are contradictions.

Dickens was cleared weeks ago and from what i have been told wants to return, but hasn't. Tigers according to the story want to bring him back but have not. RFU have cleared him and say he is good to go.

So we have a man who has been cleared weeks ago, that wants to come back to a club that supposedly wants him back but has not done so. That is a contradiction and this is why questions still arise. I wouldn't even rule out the club not being told by the RFU he was good to go.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Certainly I think that we have gone from something being handled well to a less than ideal situation. Vague facts and silence are only going to lead to rumour and that does not help anyone.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

GB72 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:30 am Certainly I think that we have gone from something being handled well to a less than ideal situation. Vague facts and silence are only going to lead to rumour and that does not help anyone.
You say it has been handled well and now less than ideal..........the Club retains its cousel and keeps confidential the situation until it is resolved and announce something when complete......dont see a problem with that approach.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

GB72 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:30 am Certainly I think that we have gone from something being handled well to a less than ideal situation. Vague facts and silence are only going to lead to rumour and that does not help anyone.
Sometimes its best not to say anything as to do so can only encourage further questions and conjecture which doesn't help anyone
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think linking this to Paddy Jackson is completely wrong.

Criminal trial - where need proof beyond doubt.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:47 am I think linking this to Paddy Jackson is completely wrong.

Criminal trial - where need proof beyond doubt.

Agreed very much chalk and cheese
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I think Paddy Jackson is a person who almost uniquely on this Forum wouldn’t be wanted anywhere near a Tigers Squad by anyone.

As for Dickens if he concealed something from Tigers re any disciplinary issues he was already aware of prior to appointment he would have, I presume leave himself wide open to summary dismissal.
If he had advised Tigers you wonder on the decision to hire him in the first place.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:53 pm I think Paddy Jackson is a person who almost uniquely on this Forum wouldn’t be wanted anywhere near a Tigers Squad by anyone.

As for Dickens if he concealed something from Tigers re any disciplinary issues he was already aware of prior to appointment he would have, I presume leave himself wide open to summary dismissal.
If he had advised Tigers you wonder on the decision to hire him in the first place.
It could also be that the disciplinary issue/claim hadn't been made at the point when we appointed him.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.