Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

The RFU

Post by tigerburnie »

The press seem to be on to something, the Times running a similar story
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... remiership
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: The RFU

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Interesting reading. There's even a quote from Tigers former CEO Simon Cohen.

Personally I have much sympathy with what the Championship Clubs are saying about a closed shop Premiership. Let's have promotion and relegation. In particular I'm against the notion of the likes of Wasps or London Irish being parachuted straight back into the Championship. Once they sort their finances out they should start at the bottom and work their way back up as others have had to do.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:17 am Interesting reading. There's even a quote from Tigers former CEO Simon Cohen.

Personally I have much sympathy with what the Championship Clubs are saying about a closed shop Premiership. Let's have promotion and relegation. In particular I'm against the notion of the likes of Wasps or London Irish being parachuted straight back into the Championship. Once they sort their finances out they should start at the bottom and work their way back up as others have had to do.
Agree with all of that.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The RFU have never properly accepted that rugby is professional and that it isn't in charge of the leagues. It doesn't bring enough money to the table to do so. It could bring more but hasn't. A few Autumn Internationals aside, Twickenham is little used. It hasn't actively pursued the 6N for maximising the income generated for the English game and the Premiership that produces its players.

It still thinks it controls the England players by restricting them from playing overseas. The reality is players can ply their trade wherever they like and the lure of regular club money in France is greater than the national side. Honour doesn't pay the bills unless you are one of the lucky few who get regular England games and remain injury free.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

It would be ironic (and grossly unfair) for any of the current Championship clubs to not get a place in a new 'Premiership 2', when the rules also effectively block most of them from getting out of the league through promotion.