Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I'm a bit intrigued how we approach this game.

Do we given we're all but through to knockouts look to rotate both games, but weeks after we rotate has always been us at our worst.

Do we send the gun side to La Rochelle assuming given their poor start they may focus elsewhere, get the job done this week so we have options vs Leinster.

Do we rotate our away game rest players this week then go full noise vs Leinster and hope that makes us match sharp vs Quins.

Do we go full noise in both these given there's only one prem game till the 6N period where games vanish for a while.

Do we split rotation, i.e. half this week half next week?

I've seen contrasting info about England players availability for Quins, do we go full noise with them in Europe if they are going to be missing vs Quins?

Tbh I don't envy McKellar and wouldn't be unhappy with any approach (or mix of approaches) so long as players buy in to what approach he's going with.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by RunTigerRun »

Personally, go full noise until the break. The only bits of rotation can be on the bench when/if we get some of those injured guys back. For example, if Steward’s arm isn’t quite right but we get one of Bassett, Watson and/or OHC back this weekend then rest Steward vs La Rochelle and bring back one of the others. If we have jvp back then give Whiteley this game off go Youngs and JVP and then JVP and Whiteley vs Leinster. But only if these guys are fully fit and ready. If not then stick with the squad that’s gone the last couple weeks. Maybe rotate within that squad - ie Hatherell to 8 and Jasper on the bench? Wells to start and one of Chessum/Martin to the bench, but no crazy wholesale changes if I was HC.

(Probably good reason I’m not though!!)
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by fentiger »

In his interview on the Radio Leicester podcast McKellar said we will have some of the injured players back for next week.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Full bore for me with only one league game
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:17 am Full bore for me with only one league game
Full bore without taking any risks if that makes any sense!

By that I mean if anyone has a knock or niggle then don’t risk them. Hopefully we have a hooker back fit to ease the burden on Montoya
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:25 am
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:17 am Full bore for me with only one league game

By that I mean if anyone has a knock or niggle then don’t risk them. Hopefully we have a hooker back fit to ease the burden on Montoya
Claire and Dolly definitely not fit so possibly only Vanes
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

:smt023
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Agreed, but I think young Theobald-Thomas is quite a prospect and would be happy to have him start in the "less important" games to give Montoya a rest. With Montoya not playing, however, we are not just missing the world's best hooker, but also his captaincy skills IMHO.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I do agree go as fully loaded as possible and then reevaluate for the Leinster game.
It would be nice to have some of Cole, Liebenberg, Scott , OHC, Watson, back to help keep players fresh, though their replacements have all been playing well imo
Bobmac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Bobmac »

Fully agree full bore this week, then if Leinster win this week they will have qualified so may send a second team which will allow us to rest a few.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Bobmac wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:12 am Fully agree full bore this week, then if Leinster win this week they will have qualified so may send a second team which will allow us to rest a few.
Not sure that Leinster will send a weakened side as the higher they qualify in the rankings, would give them home advantage in the later rounds possibly. Tigers get something from Rochelle and the Leinster match could be vying for top spot and home advantage.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:49 am
Bobmac wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:12 am Fully agree full bore this week, then if Leinster win this week they will have qualified so may send a second team which will allow us to rest a few.
Not sure that Leinster will send a weakened side as the higher they qualify in the rankings, would give them home advantage in the later rounds possibly. Tigers get something from Rochelle and the Leinster match could be vying for top spot and home advantage.
I do agree Tigerbeat. IMO Stade are out of it and with their remaining fixtures Sale will do well to get to 9 points, so the worst we can get in our pool is 4th, but top 2 would be ideal
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If we are all honest ,a weakened Leinster side is still capable of winning at WR. Although we do have to clarify weakened as 4/5 even 6 changes still leaves an international packed team with huge European experience.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

From what I have seen, although Leinster have been winning games, there does not seem to be the air of invincibility of previous years. Any Leinster team will be a formidable challenge but not one that can’t be beaten imo
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

There aren't that many rotations available now with all the injuries!