Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by GB72 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:42 am
Wellscity wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:37 am Does the RFU buy the players, pay their wages and fill the club grounds?. Do they arrange the sponsors on behalf of all the clubs?

If the clubs buy, purchase and insure the players, arrange for sponsors and fill the grounds home and away then why are we suggesting the RFU cannot allow clubs a higher salary cap.
I know some will say that some clubs will fail if they cannot compete in the Premiership or Championship. but the game is apparently more than home leagues.
This may go someway to retain quality players and stop them looking for better salaries in France, Japan and American Football
I don't think anyone is saying the RFU cannot allow a higher salary cap. The suggestion was made that the RFU should fund a higher salary cap, which most think is not possible.

I think the point is that clubs can't afford higher salaries, which is pretty irrefutable IMO.
I agree with this. We can have as higher salary cap as you like but the realistic position is that no clubs can afford it but, in all likelihood, we would lost a club or 2 who threw financial caution to the wind chasing glory. If we lose another club due to mad spending, what do we do. The Premiership is not really viable unless you can recruit in championship clubs, would the URC take us, maybe a few clubs but not many. The game really is walking a tightrope and spending money clubs do not have to try and compete with the bigger budgets in France and Ireland would be suicide.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by voice of the crumbie »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:56 am
Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:42 am
Wellscity wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:37 am Does the RFU buy the players, pay their wages and fill the club grounds?. Do they arrange the sponsors on behalf of all the clubs?

If the clubs buy, purchase and insure the players, arrange for sponsors and fill the grounds home and away then why are we suggesting the RFU cannot allow clubs a higher salary cap.
I know some will say that some clubs will fail if they cannot compete in the Premiership or Championship. but the game is apparently more than home leagues.
This may go someway to retain quality players and stop them looking for better salaries in France, Japan and American Football
I don't think anyone is saying the RFU cannot allow a higher salary cap. The suggestion was made that the RFU should fund a higher salary cap, which most think is not possible.

I think the point is that clubs can't afford higher salaries, which is pretty irrefutable IMO.
I agree with this. We can have as higher salary cap as you like but the realistic position is that no clubs can afford it but, in all likelihood, we would lost a club or 2 who threw financial caution to the wind chasing glory. If we lose another club due to mad spending, what do we do. The Premiership is not really viable unless you can recruit in championship clubs, would the URC take us, maybe a few clubs but not many. The game really is walking a tightrope and spending money clubs do not have to try and compete with the bigger budgets in France and Ireland would be suicide.
I believe it is Premiership Rugby that sets the cap not the RFU.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!