Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

cheltexile wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:08 pm Think McKellar has to go, abject performance. Same old dross.
Oh dear lord. Let's have yet more upheaval, yes, that'll fix it.

La Rochelle aren't back to back European champions by accident. They have raw power all over the place which we did well to repel for most of the first half.

Our attack coach is not around and hasn't been for some time, for some unknown reason. Nadolo aside as a difference maker we have not had a genuine attacking gameplan for what seems like forever. We started to see some green shoots under Wig last year but again, things changed.

I, for one, expected to come home with nil match points from the fixture. The reality is that in previous seasons we've played against some former European heavyweights who weren't taking the competition that seriously. This year we have the back-to-back champions in our group with a significantly larger cap, 15 internationals in their starting rotation and we could not keep absorbing their power game for 80 minutes.

Our time will come in the Prem, but I can't see an English side winning the Champions Cup for a fair while.

Maybe I'm on my own, but that's how I see it.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

cheltexile wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:08 pm Think McKellar has to go, abject performance. Same old dross.
Disagree.

McKellar sent a rotated side away to the reigning European Champions who were 100% full bore.

Yes there was bad points and issues to address. No hiding from that fact but this is not a point to get rid of him...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

It just shows that under the current structure the top tier French sides and the Irish Provinces are streets ahead of the English, Welsh and Scottish sides in this competition.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:22 pm It just shows that under the current structure the top tier French sides and the Irish Provinces are streets ahead of the English, Welsh and Scottish sides in this competition.
Yep save the fiscal spin off its a waste of time in mho
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

I didn’t expect us to win today but we didn’t perform at all.

My concern is the similarity to Exeter away and the continuous errors in attack. In this regard the lack of development is alarming.

La Rochelle are a quality side but if you look at what we did with the ball then we have every right to ask- why are we making the same errors every week without signs of improvement?

We have every right to demand high standards of Leicester Tigers. I know we have disadvantages outside of our control but our side today had plenty of ability and experience.

That being said, anyone who is asking for the Head Coach to go needs their head looking at. We have been better than at the start of the year but we must develop our game.

Some clarity on what is going on with Dickens would help.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

+1
A2O
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

There are moments when the rigidity of English rugby has me scratching my head...

30 seconds to go in the 1st half, we've just scored to get within 7pts, we claim the kick off and yet we still kick the ball back to them. La Rochelle score.

Second half, they're down to 13 men, we win possession in our own half and we kick the ball back to them. La Rochelle score.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I don't know what's going on with our attack coach but McKeller needs to contact them and if they cannot come back within the next few weeks we need to come to terms with them over their permanent departure and hire someone else.

We don't need expensive backs we just need a plan that is something other that 1 out bosh, kick or Jasper produces some magic.

when we do go wide rarely do we see simple things like dummy runners or some form of shape its route one via the hands before the winger either cuts back inside or kicks down the line
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

We've become too predictable with how we use Kata, too.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:50 pm We've become too predictable with how we use Kata, too.
we need Kata, Jasper and A N Other big ball carrier in a line with a backs move trailing to set our attack going better but far too often we have 1 big carrier option and they can be gang tackled
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:13 pm What did people expect? They are the European champions (and a favourite to retain) with a monster pack and magicians in the backs who targeted this game. And we took an understrength team and a big bag of hope. Blame the RFU and the mismanagement of English rugby - this is what salary cap reductions look like.

But so what? Our prem league place isn’t any worse, I don’t think we played that bad, we get a go at Leinster in front of a home crowd next week, are still in the competition, and the youngsters have just learnt what playing the best feels like.
They were down to 13; at which point whatever skills we had deserted us. Any Tigers team should have gone full throttle to press home the advantage. We didn't. We fell apart. I don't think it's a Corinthian thing that we wait until there's 15 on the pitch to score our next try.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:42 pm There are moments when the rigidity of English rugby has me scratching my head...

30 seconds to go in the 1st half, we've just scored to get within 7pts, we claim the kick off and yet we still kick the ball back to them. La Rochelle score.

Second half, they're down to 13 men, we win possession in our own half and we kick the ball back to them. La Rochelle score.
The problem is the analysts say the statistics are that is the correct thing to do. But the stats are broad and include results from Newcastle at home and La Rochelle away. Those games are different and these stats are about averages.
We need a jackle threat at 7. We have not done well without one. If Tommy isn’t available Emeka needs the game time to het accustomed to the intensity of this level. The others are not replacements for Tommy and never will be, Emeka does have scope to develop.

I suggest no more play station or golf for players until the forwards can accurately do tip on passes and the backs can jackle. Do not need contact but some practice time concentrating on what they get paid to do! Passing drills under pressure would also be useful.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:50 pm Hey,look,La Rochelle more than a half decent side..
Yes there are were issues,but this is far from the end of the world.Learn and improve.No time for castigation or recriminations...
That's the best impersonation of my late Father's Richard Cockerill impersonation I've seen in a long time!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

On a positive note i thought we kept Botega relatively quiet at the breakdown.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:48 pm Deservedly punished for unforgivable errors.

Big wake-up call for how far we've got to go.

No lack of effort, but being given a lesson in being ruthless.
Didnt see it live, just watched recording, all our problems to my mind came from L R power, strength, weight, even their backs, we were out muscled the whole of the game, set piece, rucks, mauls etc putting our backs under terrible pressure. When we did have a bit of momentum, against 13 men, Pollard kicks it dead, :smt017 ,also we were kicking the ball away saying here you are, you are bigger and stronger than us, have another go.
I think todays game shows you have to have loads of big heavy forwards, and some backs, especially with the number of replacements, you just swap 1 for another big guy, if he runs out of steam, who is going to win you the ball and run over you.