Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Post by Soggypitch »

Well we're 4 days away from playing the current champions, so we better start thinking about how we are going to win this one!!

I would love to see;

1. Cronin
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Martin
5. Chessum
6. Hanro
7. Reffell
8. Weisse
9. YBY (Whitely if not fit)
10.Pollard
11. OHC
12. Kata
13. Kelly
14. Watson
15. Steward

Obviously depends on the fitness of OHC, Watson and Kata.
A bench of Whitcombe, a hooker(!), Heyes, Wells, Hatherall, Whitely/Powell, Scott and Shillcock.

But very difficult to call not knowing the injury situation in the backs in particular.

I think Sarries will come fully loaded (they rested a few v Falcons), so we need to be on top form to win this!!
Soggypitch
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

That would be a great team, and with possible a fit Scott in for Kelly our strongest available. Let’s hope their all fit, also rumours of JVP being available

As for Sarries I’m sure they will come fully loaded, but may be struggling at prop especially loose head
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Sarries - Premiership - KO 15.05 Saturday Jan 6th

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

If both OHC and Watson are both back fit we 100% need dedicated wing cover on the bench as two coming back from injuries in the same game seems a risk.

Scott if he's back fit would be huge!!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Post by ay2oh »

On this seasons form Kata and Scott are undoubtedly our best 12-13 combo.
A2O
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

I'd like to see see us swap centres over in attack sometimes i.e. get Kata into outside centre then either a miss pass from Pollard or tip on from whoever moves to inside. I know this could only happen off first phase and quick ball but as it is I think defences know that most of the time when Kata is inside centre he will truck it up so even though he takes a couple out they can plan for that.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:13 pm On this seasons form Kata and Scott are undoubtedly our best 12-13 combo.
Personally I'd still go Kelly Scott as the better performing defensive partnership, with Kata coming on against tired legs when his attacking prowess can shine.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Picking on form rather than sentiment Kelly is not a patch on Kata. See your point about using Kata as an impact sub but if you’re already 15 points down when he comes on there’s no logic and it’s not like Kelly’s defence has been very good this season. Give me the attacking prowess of Kata/ Scott
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:46 pm Picking on form rather than sentiment Kelly is not a patch on Kata. See your point about using Kata as an impact sub but if you’re already 15 points down when he comes on there’s no logic and it’s not like Kelly’s defence has been very good this season. Give me the attacking prowess of Kata/ Scott
I don't think Kelly is playing that badly at all now. In fact I think he's doing quite at the moment. He looked rusty in attack but has played defensively well this season.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think Kelly our best option at 12, if we want our backs to perform we need to spread the ball rather than just carry into contact. For me Kata is a great player but at his best on the wing or outside centre.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Don't see how you can leave our top form player out of the squad, bench him for a rest if he needs one, but Mike Brown has to be in the squad.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:26 pm Don't see how you can leave our top form player out of the squad, bench him for a rest if he needs one, but Mike Brown has to be in the squad.
Not sure how you’re saying he’s our best player but that’s your opinion. Other than scrum half 2 bench spots Shilcock who covers 10 and 15, then one of Kelly, Scott, Kata on the bench.
If 2 of our 3 best wings are injured then he starts, but everyone fit he doesn’t make the bench imo
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:56 pm
ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:46 pm Picking on form rather than sentiment Kelly is not a patch on Kata. See your point about using Kata as an impact sub but if you’re already 15 points down when he comes on there’s no logic and it’s not like Kelly’s defence has been very good this season. Give me the attacking prowess of Kata/ Scott
I don't think Kelly is playing that badly at all now. In fact I think he's doing quite at the moment. He looked rusty in attack but has played defensively well this season.
Think he’s been really poor this season and wouldn’t be anywhere near the 23 on current form. Granted he isn’t a 13. Kata / Scott for me. I’d even pick Porter over him who’s more a natural 13 and can cover wing.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:53 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:56 pm
Think he’s been really poor this season and wouldn’t be anywhere near the 23 on current form. Granted he isn’t a 13. Kata / Scott for me. I’d even pick Porter over him who’s more a natural 13 and can cover wing.
Would suggest you rewatch highlights of the Bath game, number of carries made, tackles made, rucks hit. People tend to focus on the odd poor pass
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:34 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:26 pm Don't see how you can leave our top form player out of the squad, bench him for a rest if he needs one, but Mike Brown has to be in the squad.
Not sure how you’re saying he’s our best player but that’s your opinion. Other than scrum half 2 bench spots Shilcock who covers 10 and 15, then one of Kelly, Scott, Kata on the bench.
If 2 of our 3 best wings are injured then he starts, but everyone fit he doesn’t make the bench imo
The boss is about to offer him a new contract as his old one is now finished, he says he is one of the most important players in the squad, but then what does a head coach know eh?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:41 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:34 pm
The boss is about to offer him a new contract as his old one is now finished, he says he is one of the most important players in the squad, but then what does a head coach know eh?
And where in your statement does it say that when the majority of the squad are fit he gets in the match day 23. You can be one of the most important players in a squad without necessarily being in the best match day squad.
As a matter of interest who are you putting him in ahead of, Kata, Kelly, Scott, Steward, OHC, Watson or Shilcock.