Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Post by Ian Cant »

Freddie was injured after the fall to the ground when tipped up by the onrushing Sarries player. He was really wincing as he got up and those around me ( myself included) were surprised when he carried on. Think he then struggled to tackle and Mike Brown seemed worried about him all through the first half.
Terrific win and lm hoping, depending on who is selected for England, to travel to Quins to cheer the lads on to another great performance.
The next two weeks in Europe will be interesting but if we pick up more injuries we will struggle!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Post by kk20gb30 »

Now much warmer than the afternoon spent at Welford Road... Massive performance from the forwards,Kata too very impressive.
Good performance,good result and good momentum starting to build.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:13 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:00 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:54 pm I like Oz, especially as I know the affection he has for Tigers but he doesn't let that interfere in doing his job, Rugby would be far better if someone like him was in a key position of the running of the game, the man talks a lot of sense
Sarcasm just doesn't print....does it? 🤣🤣
wasn't sarcasm I don't want him to be a one eyed Tigers fan I want him to be neutral, it seems some people can't cope with that.

I suspect that his being paired with Dayglo over Kay was to do with people complaining that a commentary team of a Tigers fan and 2 legendary Tigers players was a little biased but can't they use Flats instead of Dayglo?
I find him irritating. I think he goes beyond the neutral. Whether this is by design or is unconscious. I can't say.

Pundit, I believe means "Wise man". Most of the irritating yatter we get from Austin and the like would negate that definition.

I've said many times, just give me a little red button to turn the commentary off. Just let me watch it as if I was there.

My commentary may be one eyed but I'm comfortable in my own skin. Just as I would be on the terrace or in the stand.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:08 pm

I would have thought hands in the scrum on your own line while going backwards at a rate of knots is as clear a yellow card as is possible, but apparently not. Did Sarries ever get put on a warning for all the scrum penalties? I didn't see one, but I muted the commentary for obvious reasons and may have missed it.
He did put them on a warning to be fair, after the 4th infringement.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Defence in the first 5-10 mins of the 2nd half won that game. Absolutely immense - 3 errors handed Saracens territory but we fronted up and despite a couple of dubious decisions from sir - we kept them out and continued breakdown and scrum pressure won us the game. We definitely left a BP out there due to handling errors in the red zone which seemed to coincide with taking our best player off after 56 mins (???) and bringing on someone who hasn’t played for 6+ weeks. Sir had a poor game - we got away with a few dodgy turnovers (supporting own body weight) but the try that wasn’t was poor decision making (conclusive evidence that it wasn’t 🤷🏻‍♂️) and the two quick decisions or lack of towards the end of the 1st half where Saracens went off feet at the ruck and then caused Whitely to knock on against a player on the wrong side was laughable. I take full responsibility as I said to my old man on the terrace before the match that Pearce is the best referee we have. We were both very grateful that we didn’t need to listen to Dayglo.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:15 pm Freddie was injured after the fall to the ground when tipped up by the onrushing Sarries player. He was really wincing as he got up and those around me ( myself included) were surprised when he carried on. Think he then struggled to tackle and Mike Brown seemed worried about him all through the first half.
Terrific win and lm hoping, depending on who is selected for England, to travel to Quins to cheer the lads on to another great performance.
The next two weeks in Europe will be interesting but if we pick up more injuries we will struggle!
Just watching it back at the moment and yes, he did take a bang in the aerial shot from Cinti but the one that seems to have caused the real damage was when Fred chased his own kick and tackles Farrell. He then went into touch shortly after and I think it was Whitely who was on his shoulder calling attention to Steward.

EDIT: he seemed to get up ok from that but it was a hit from Cinti in the ruck in the 16th minute following the turnover in their half and kick into our 22.

A friend stayed around for the second game and said Freddie was in a sling.
Last edited by longlivethecrumbie on Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Couldn't get to the game so had to watch it on TV and I have to say what a great win and just a pity we let them get anywhere near us. We should certainly have a good look at their set move for their try as it nearly worked twice for them. It was a thing of attacking beauty and I would not have noticed it unless I had been listening to the commentary, they certainly liked it so well done OZ and co. Injuries permitting would go with the same XV to start next week when I will be there. I know that if some of our returnees are fit it will be hard not to have them in the starting XV but IDMcKWT.
Last edited by trendylfj on Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hehehehehehehehe
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:52 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:33 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:24 pm

Healey's constant :censored: and playing TMO does my head in :smt011
Was Healey genuinely arguing it shouldn't have been a card? I'm not sure how it's even a question, or why someone with Healey's rugby experience needs to have it explained to him.
his point was Jasper had run 5m, that's the rule for returning kicks not so sure it applies to offside from a quick tap penalty
I think that's just a case of Austin opening his mouth without having a clue what he's talking about.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Still far from the perfect in many regards, particularly with the ball, but I'd argue that's as close an 80 minute performance as we've had for some time. The boys were dialed in and focused from gun to tape. When we can combine that grit and grunt with some slicker attack, we're gonna be a proper force, I reckon.

Good timing from the likes of Heyes and Kelly to put in a strong showing ahead of 6N selection. Twice DK showed impressive wheels to beat the cover, and I thought he was very hard done by with the held up call.

Bit concerned about Freddie though, who was nursing his left arm ever since that chase back in the first half.
Bptiger25

Post by Bptiger25 »

Great win , forwards were awesome and kata was too. But the one thing that annoys me is when we get close to there line we have no play other than hit it up throw the pigs , would love to see backs a bit deeper and play out the back , but it’s great to beat sarries
Bptiger25

Post by Bptiger25 »

Just on Jasper , gee I would love to see the club try and keep him , he will be near impossible to replace , is it a done deal he is gone , and if so any news on who we may be chasing.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

A word on Cronin...

Seemed to have gone of the boil in the first few months of the season and struggled to nail down the #1 shirt, but he's been a man possessed for the last two games!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Bptiger25 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:28 am Just on Jasper , gee I would love to see the club try and keep him , he will be near impossible to replace , is it a done deal he is gone , and if so any news on who we may be chasing.
Club have confirmed he's definitely going, Japan sounds the inevitable destination.

Wainwright is one person we're rumored in discussion with, but that may not be to replace Wiese.

There's a rumour started that because Evan Roos follows James Whitcombe on Instagram he now seem to be the favourite for Jasper's replacement.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

This is not me forgetting about Weise straight away but imo Roos has more potential than Jasper. That would be an incredible signing!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Bptiger25

Post by Bptiger25 »

Thanks guys for ur information , we don’t get any info down under