Scrum Cap trial

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Scrum Cap trial

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not sure if other posters picked up on the comment that Max Lahiffe was trialling a new type of head gear last night on behalf of Bristol bears.
I didn’t hear them go into detail but it looked similar to Magnito’s cap in the X Men films, and could possibly have made up of lots of air pockets which help spread out the force from any collisions, though that is guess work
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Scrum Cap trial

Post by fentiger »

Pity it's already too late for Lahiff :smt044
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:59 pm Not sure if other posters picked up on the comment that Max Lahiffe was trialling a new type of head gear last night on behalf of Bristol bears.
I didn’t hear them go into detail but it looked similar to Magnito’s cap in the X Men films, and could possibly have made up of lots of air pockets which help spread out the force from any collisions, though that is guess work
I heard it but not any details. I wonder if it will be like a cricket helmet, 1 blow on it and it has to be changed/checked for damage like popping a bubble on bubble wrap but stronger. ?
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:49 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:59 pm Not sure if other posters picked up on the comment that Max Lahiffe was trialling a new type of head gear last night on behalf of Bristol bears.
I heard it but not any details. I wonder if it will be like a cricket helmet, 1 blow on it and it has to be changed/checked for damage like popping a bubble on bubble wrap but stronger. ?
This is the only one signed on by World Rugby to be used at all levels, is this it?
https://www.n-pro.com/pages/research-and-development
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

PeteK wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:08 am
This is the only one signed on by World Rugby to be used at all levels, is this it?
I would imagine so with them saying he was carrying out the trial on behalf of Bristol. Without a picture I can’t be certain
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

was it from this company (based in Leicestershire)?

https://www.hedkayse.com/collections/he ... headguards

seems a step forward in technology

this is an article about the company in the Guardian from last month
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... akthrough
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerXV wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:18 pm was it from this company (based in Leicestershire)?

https://www.hedkayse.com/collections/he ... headguards

seems a step forward in technology

this is an article about the company in the Guardian from last month
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... akthrough
Yes that’s the one I remember the K. It was a fetching magenta colour
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don't quite get the helmet checking in cricket for every minor blow to the head. Largely just a bit of a loud bang from inside.

Most of the time it's a glancing blow off a hard shell (that can't be used in rugby) As someone who played cricket in the pre-helmet era I was much more concerned about my teeth than being hit on the top of the head.

The blows from knees and the like in rugby are more concussive and need something to absorb the energy without injuring others.
Last edited by mol2 on Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashleytiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ashleytiger »

Isn't that one worn by Gregory Alldritt of La Rochelle?
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Tim Stimson was on Radio 4’s Today programme this morning, promoting it.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:14 am

I would imagine so with them saying he was carrying out the trial on behalf of Bristol. Without a picture I can’t be certain
That isn't it.

This is the current wording on the Hedkayse website, and hence why Lahiff had "permission" to wear it:
The Hedkayse Headguard is currently being sold for training only. Match play permission pending acceptance onto World Rugby Law 4 Headguard Trial
The other interesting bit is that the materials used for their products come with the disclaimer of "no degredation over 50 impacts", so implies it has a useful-lifespan. How that's measured or recorded is a completely different matter, which opens other questions.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Yes it was the Hedkayse one as I mentioned above. It will be interesting to see if any Tigers trial it with it being Leicestershire company, though we don’t have many scrum cap wearers. Martin, Rogerson, Hatherall, Cracknell, FTT, though that’s 5 which is more than I thought
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:10 pm Yes it was the Hedkayse one as I mentioned above. It will be interesting to see if any Tigers trial it with it being Leicestershire company, though we don’t have many scrum cap wearers. Martin, Rogerson, Hatherall, Cracknell, FTT, though that’s 5 which is more than I thought
Coincidentally, I don't think I'd ever seen Lahiff regularly wearing a scrum cap!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:59 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:10 pm Yes it was the Hedkayse one as I mentioned above. It will be interesting to see if any Tigers trial it with it being Leicestershire company, though we don’t have many scrum cap wearers. Martin, Rogerson, Hatherall, Cracknell, FTT, though that’s 5 which is more than I thought
Coincidentally, I don't think I'd ever seen Lahiff regularly wearing a scrum cap!
Nor have I, he obviously volunteered and also has a podcast to publicise I think
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think you could probably double that number starting with Wells.............