Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Scrum Cap trial

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:37 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:10 pm Yes it was the Hedkayse one as I mentioned above. It will be interesting to see if any Tigers trial it with it being Leicestershire company, though we don’t have many scrum cap wearers. Martin, Rogerson, Hatherall, Cracknell, FTT, though that’s 5 which is more than I thought
I think you could probably double that number starting with Wells.............
Yes I realised I’d forgotten Wells. Can’t think of many others who wear them regularly. A lot of players just don’t find the comfortable
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Doesn’t Nic Dolly wear one?
On the radio broadcast, Tim Stimson said his son wears the new trial one.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

My son fractured his skull in the frontal sinus above his eye playing rugby so I got him a couple of these before he started playing again:
https://gamebreaker.com/sports/flagfootball/
They use D3O which is a UK invented foam used in armour. My phone case is made from it too. They has been some research done on them in the USA linked on their site.
He found them too thick and hot and others took the :censored: so he went back to playing in an old Kooga scrum cap instead once I was not there to force him to wear it!
World Rugby have standards but limit the maximum rather than the minimum thickness! It is 12mm which probably is not sufficient.
https://www.world.rugby/the-game/facili ... s/headgear
Considering what could be done and what people can get used to over time mandating head gear to a specific at younger ages and bringing it through over time with good design and specification seems sensible. Horse riding events do this routinely up to Elite level. Some other options such as Air Jackets are optional.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

D 30 is the material used by people like Belstaff for elbow protection etc in motorbike jackets ..
I know people who were looking at it for another application and having seen it I would not have thought it suitable for headgear. However I think there is a lot of work that could be done on a whole series of other materials that men more suitable.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Years and years ago I went to a game fair and there was a stall selling a substance to put on a gun butt which nullified recoil. They showed its strength by inviting people to put their hand under a block of it then whacking the block with a hammer. Didn't feel a thing. I have no idea what the stuff was called but wonder if this is what has morphed into D 30. Basically, it has the same impact resistance as human flesh and muscle which is the best thing to bump into in a collision (avoiding bony bits). If anyone has any info on this, I would be delighted to hear from them.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I've got a variety of mountain bike pads that are D30, knee & elbow mainly, but it's used a lot for that sort of thing. Fortunatley I haven't had to test them out recently though!
It doesn't get used in bike helmets and obviously hard head gear for rugby wouldn't be great anyway....