Tigers v Bath (H) - Premiership - Sunday 31st December 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grannyman

Re: Tigers v Bath (H) - Premiership - Sunday 31st December 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by Grannyman »

5 points and nothing for Bath, however I expected better against their u19’s.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Top 4 still on…..just!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Retiredseven
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Retiredseven »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:19 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:17 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:15 pm Not going to lie... Kata going off when we'd run out of subs is concerning....

How many fit centres do we have?

Kelly Cokanasiga next week?
I saw he came off but didn’t realise it was injury related
Yeah Simmons came off for Shillcock and Whiteley for Powell (all the forwards subs had been used to).

I'm hoping maybe precautionary given we'd won but even so you don't voluntarily go to 14...
I just heard McKellar on the radio. Sounds purely precautionary and like he voluntarily went down to fourteen...

In fairness could be a good call... with the games coming up we will need Kata.. he has been a great signing so far in my mind.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Happy New Year to all the grouches on here.
5 point win secured against the top of the table club inside the 1st half, in poor weather conditions. Second half a number of replacements made to key players to save legs for key games coming up. Tigers 5 points Bath none.

I am at a loss to know what some posters expect the coaches to do. Reffell coming off for instance, made perfect sense, he had one turnover the time he was on, save him for Sarries.

Tigerbeat saying JVP back next week, didn’t hear that as switched off at final whistle. Lenny confirmed as a dead leg so hopefully both back next week, along with Scott, and at least one of the wingers, though Simmons and Brown did ok
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Grannyman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:42 pm 5 points and nothing for Bath, however I expected better against their u19’s.
The pack was pretty experienced, the backline full of age grade internationals. They rested some of the big names but it wasn't as weakened aside as many made out.

1 Juan Schoeman, 2 Hame Faiva, 3 Will Stuart, 4 Quinn Roux, 5 Josh McNally, 6 GJ van Velze ©, 7 Chris Cloete, 8 Jaco Coetzee

Don't think any of them are under 25. I suspect Will Stuart is the youngest at 27.

We completely took them apart in the first 40 and I think they only looked like scoring points from that intercept. We took our foot off the gas in the second half and the lack of ab openside after Reffell went off hurt us badly. Cracknell is a handy player but he looked rusty and isn't an openside like Reffell and Ilione.

Bath were able to throw caution to the wind in the second half given the scoreline. The more Ojomoh was on the ball the better they looked.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Grannyman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:42 pm 5 points and nothing for Bath, however I expected better against their u19’s.
Does that include their 34 year old skipper and Italian test hooker
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Retiredseven wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:51 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:19 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:17 pm

I saw he came off but didn’t realise it was injury related
Yeah Simmons came off for Shillcock and Whiteley for Powell (all the forwards subs had been used to).

I'm hoping maybe precautionary given we'd won but even so you don't voluntarily go to 14...
I just heard McKellar on the radio. Sounds purely precautionary and like he voluntarily went down to fourteen...

In fairness could be a good call... with the games coming up we will need Kata.. he has been a great signing so far in my mind.
Totally agree nothing to be gained by keeping him on, and even if we had had a 5/3 split on the bench we may well have used them all by then
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

One of the great interviews post match by Chessum !! Just a young man enjoying the game, loving playing with his mates, downing a pint and looking forward to celebrating New Years Eve with Freddie Steward and others by the sound of it. Massive test next week now vs a Sarries team who will go full beans I suspect. Not sure what we’re supposed to do if Bath don’t select players….nothing we could do. 5 points, thank you very much.
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

A comfortable bonus point victory in tricky conditions and hopefully with no injuries is all we could hope for. Next week will be a proper test followed by an even bigger one away at Quinns. 8 points or more from them two games and we will certainly be in the play off mix.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I see I was charged £17.70 for two pints of Tiger which seems a bit steep to me - does this seem correct? I didn't ask for a receipt so my fault.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Kata looked to be walking around quite freely post match, so hopefully precautionary.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:16 pm I see I was charged £17.70 for two pints of Tiger which seems a bit steep to me - does this seem correct? I didn't ask for a receipt so my fault.
was it pints of wine? The government say you can have these now...
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:16 pm I see I was charged £17.70 for two pints of Tiger which seems a bit steep to me - does this seem correct? I didn't ask for a receipt so my fault.
Bovril now £3.30 when it used to be £2 or so, so I could believe £8.85 for a pint! :smt003
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:25 pm
Bovril now £3.30 when it used to be £2 or so, so I could believe £8.85 for a pint! :smt003
No idea. Plus £5.25 for a large sausage roll, it makes my monthly TNT subscription seem good value!
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:02 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:34 pm We definitely seemed to have slacked off - we’ve been pretty poor in the 2nd half and lost control of the game
What did I tell you? Pressure needed keeping on, that was a 50 pointer gone missing particularly as they were down to fourteen for a quarter of the game. After the try in the first few minutes of the 2nd half we didn't score again. We still need to be sharper, some of the passing was woeful, and and and... Ok I'll celebrate the win but next Saturday will provide a clearer picture of where we really are.
You didn’t tell me anything - you just disagreed that we dominated the first half…… which the stats clearly showed we did. Possession , territory and the scoreboard confirmed that. I agree we should have put 50 points on them although in the cold light of the aftermath not sure what that achieves against Bath seconds. I think after a scratchy 10 minutes after the penalty try/second yellow the game was clearly won and the benches were emptied and the game went nowhere which is a fan is disappointing but as a coach it’s probably job done.