Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bath (H) - Premiership - Sunday 31st December 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:16 pm
sapajo wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:07 am
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:42 am Another good showing from Tom Whiteley. I wasn't convinced by him at the start, but he looks a dependable 3rd choice SH now.

Well if he could improve his box kicking and stop trying to run through brick walls it would help. That said he did very well to get back , catch and run the ball out of touch otherwise it was a nailed on Bath try.
he was missing those gaping holes that Ben and JVP would have been sniping through all game though, needs to be more willing to do that
Different kind of scrum half to Lendrid and JvP. He's not done bad for a third choice SH, IMHO
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:14 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:18 pm Enjoyed that game. 5 points and game effectively won at half time. Allowed rotation to rest players. Though if I was a Bath supporter I’d be livid with that team selection - I get the idea of rotation but talk about surrendering title race momentum.

Only thing to add (except for how on Earth do we replace Jasper!) is I thought Martin alongside Chessum at 4/5 is an obvious but match winning pairing - certainly wouldn’t look out of place in an England team.

Looking ahead into January, Saracens, Leinster La Rochelle and Quins, 3 at home. Wow, simply wow - great time to be a Tigers fan :smt023
I think they could increase interest in the game by awarding extra points for tries scored, games can be almost over at half time but if an extra point/s was on offer for say 6/7 tries or pro rata etc, sides would have something to go for without all the changes and switching off.
Regarding Martin and Chessum at 4 and 5, it was noticeable in the lineout when thrown to number 2 in the line we lost a lot of ball and had to resort to throwing to 4 (Chessum). With Hanro in the side he takes a lot of ball coming forward at 2 in the line, we missed his skills there, Chessum had to take a lot of the calls.
Finally a shout out for Mike Brown, I think he is great, has great experience and a delight to watch, I really hope he has not left us, infact let someone else go but keep him.
With the bonus points, I prefer the French system, bonus point for 3 MORE tries i.e. only one team can get the TBP and you can't get it by halftime and foot off the gas...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:15 pm

Well if he could improve his box kicking and stop trying to run through brick walls it would help. That said he did very well to get back , catch and run the ball out of touch otherwise it was a nailed on Bath try.
he was missing those gaping holes that Ben and JVP would have been sniping through all game though, needs to be more willing to do that
Different kind of scrum half to Lendrid and JvP. He's not done bad for a third choice SH, IMHO
Of the 4 tries scored in open play he provided the correct scoring pass for 2 of them
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I've been very impressed with Whiteley as third choice.

It's a bit odd to complain that he's not as good as Youngs or JVP, that's literally the point of having him.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:43 pm I've been very impressed with Whiteley as third choice.

It's a bit odd to complain that he's not as good as Youngs or JVP, that's literally the point of having him.
And that’s the key he is 3rd choice with lots of premiership experience
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:33 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:14 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:18 pm Enjoyed that game. 5 points and game effectively won at half time. Allowed rotation to rest players. Though if I was a Bath supporter I’d be livid with that team selection - I get the idea of rotation but talk about surrendering title race momentum.

Only thing to add (except for how on Earth do we replace Jasper!) is I thought Martin alongside Chessum at 4/5 is an obvious but match winning pairing - certainly wouldn’t look out of place in an England team.

Looking ahead into January, Saracens, Leinster La Rochelle and Quins, 3 at home. Wow, simply wow - great time to be a Tigers fan :smt023
I think they could increase interest in the game by awarding extra points for tries scored, games can be almost over at half time but if an extra point/s was on offer for say 6/7 tries or pro rata etc, sides would have something to go for without all the changes and switching off.
Regarding Martin and Chessum at 4 and 5, it was noticeable in the lineout when thrown to number 2 in the line we lost a lot of ball and had to resort to throwing to 4 (Chessum). With Hanro in the side he takes a lot of ball coming forward at 2 in the line, we missed his skills there, Chessum had to take a lot of the calls.
Finally a shout out for Mike Brown, I think he is great, has great experience and a delight to watch, I really hope he has not left us, infact let someone else go but keep him.
With the bonus points, I prefer the French system, bonus point for 3 MORE tries i.e. only one team can get the TBP and you can't get it by halftime and foot off the gas...
Yes I would go with that, or similar, anything to keep the game alive.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:15 pm

doesn't have to do it all game its just about keeping the defenders honest, once or twice a half if gaps are like that will be more than enough
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:52 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:43 pm I've been very impressed with Whiteley as third choice.

And that’s the key he is 3rd choice with lots of premiership experience
He made one great cover tackle against Bath and another in a previous game. Just needs to increase the consistency of his box kicks and settle in a bit, as he has got a decent running game in him.

Perfect for a third choice SH to work with Edwards.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I am not convinced over our use of subs?
Why make a tactical substitution using your last sub unless you are behind and need to change something.

This was dome when we had a player down injured and being strapped up.

Then Kata had to come off.

Surely the sensible option is to save your last sub until the last 5 minutes just in case?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:18 pm I am not convinced over our use of subs?
Why make a tactical substitution using your last sub unless you are behind and need to change something.

Surely the sensible option is to save your last sub until the last 5 minutes just in case?
Only 2 backs on the bench, Simmons came off because he was blowing, Whitely because he may be needed v Sarries depending on Lenny and JVP fitness.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:18 pm I am not convinced over our use of subs?

The seriousness of the player being strapped up would have been communicated to the coaches and considered in part of the sub process
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Anyone else amused by the noise from the Bath supporters that the reason they lost was because they sent a weakened team.

We beat them at their place with a hatful of internationals available compared to their one or two.
Now we have a hatful of players injured and some rested we beat them relatively easily. If you ignore their first try and us having to go down to 14 near the end we never really looked challenged.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:30 pm Anyone else amused by the noise from the Bath supporters that the reason they lost was because they sent a weakened team.

We beat them at their place with a hatful of internationals available compared to their one or two.
Now we have a hatful of players injured and some rested we beat them relatively easily. If you ignore their first try and us having to go down to 14 near the end we never really looked challenged.
Apparently tigers thought they had an advantage for that interception try
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:30 pm Anyone else amused by the noise from the Bath supporters that the reason they lost was because they sent a weakened team.

Most of what I've seen on social lays the blame at Sir's door and that Bath were the better side and deserved the win. Each to their own....
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:01 pm

Most of what I've seen on social lays the blame at Sir's door and that Bath were the better side and deserved the win. Each to their own....
Usual deluded scrumpy fuelled nonsense then!

We stopped playing after 50mins so I will concede they were the better side for the final 25-30mins but even then we could and should have scored a few more