Harry Simmons

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Harry Simmons

Post by Tiglon »

I'm not sure it's particularly outrageous to say Anthony Watson is a very good rugby player. :smt017
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:34 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:27 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:22 am Thought Simmons played very well. Tackled hard, chased kicks well and popped up looking for the ball in attack. Had a few nice darts where he used his pace and footwork. If he can stay fit, he will be in and around the team for a while to come. Seems well thought of and DMK spoke about his point of difference well in the BBC RL interview postgame.

With Watson around to learn off I think Simmons will learn a lot. A Simmons, OHC and Steward back 3 has a really nice balance for long term future imo. (Not discounting the likes of Watson at his best being one of the 1st names on the team sheet, Bassett being a classy operator and Brown performing well when called upon).
Dont want to be a Watson basher but whats he done lately for Tigers and England? Yes a couple of years ago he was great but we havent seen much of him due to injury and therefore I cant see where all this praise is coming from at the moment. :smt017
Very similar to the Manu situation, players being judged on what they once achieved rather than their current situation which seems to be injured more often than not
Very much agree and folk want to let a very fit Mike Brown go, I think Tigers really do need to take a very careful look at some of our players form/potential and consider who should be leaving us.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:38 pm I'm not sure it's particularly outrageous to say Anthony Watson is a very good rugby player. :smt017
You can be the best player in the world but if you miss 50% of the fixtures and take time to bed in each time, your usefulness reduces
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:43 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:38 pm I'm not sure it's particularly outrageous to say Anthony Watson is a very good rugby player. :smt017
You can be the best player in the world but if you miss 50% of the fixtures and take time to bed in each time, your usefulness reduces
I think that's stating the obvious, isn't it?

And where's the logic in praising Simmons after one game back from yet another injury, but arguing that Watson deserves no praise because he's injured a lot?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think posters need to get the view on Brown accurate. If it was an unlimited budget it’s a no brainier, but it isn’t.
Common consensus is that his contract ran out yesterday, so if he’s staying an extension is required which could be related to Charlie Atkinsons early departure
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:46 pm

And where's the logic in praising Simmons after one game back from yet another injury, but arguing that Watson deserves no praise because he's injured a lot?
The logic, which I know you see is praising him for his performance yesterday after a lengthy injury spell, making over 50 yards and beating 6 defenders, it’s already been pointed out that he needs to stay fit.
As and when Watson plays and performs well, he will I’m sure receive praise. Surely you see the logic in that
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

He was a very good player, I would very much like to see it very soon, if not, why are we keeping him, perhaps no one else wanted him mainly based on his injury record.? I'm also not sure how/why currently he is straight back into England consideration, there are potentially some very fit young wingers out there!
I just wish he would do it for us and very soon.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Re Watson, I’m not sure he is straight back into England squad. Personally there are a number I would pick ahead of Freeman, Radwan, Roebuck, his one saving grace maybe that other contenders, Murley for instance, also seem to pick up injuries
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:50 pm

The logic, which I know you see is praising him for his performance yesterday after a lengthy injury spell, making over 50 yards and beating 6 defenders, it’s already been pointed out that he needs to stay fit.
As and when Watson plays and performs well, he will I’m sure receive praise. Surely you see the logic in that
You didn't see Watson play well in any of his 16 matches last season? Or in either of his appearances this season?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:08 pm

You didn't see Watson play well in any of his 16 matches last season? Or in either of his appearances this season?
No body is saying that, we are talking about the present time where after being out for 7 months he is on the injury list again. He is either very unlucky or injury prone.
As for the games this season I confess I didn’t see the Exeter game, but he was distinctly average against Stade
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:18 pm

No body is saying that, we are talking about the present time where after being out for 7 months he is on the injury list again. He is either very unlucky or injury prone.
As for the games this season I confess I didn’t see the Exeter game, but he was distinctly average against Stade
I still don't think it's outrageous to say Anthony Watson is a very good rugby player...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:15 pm

I still don't think it's outrageous to say Anthony Watson is a very good rugby player...
And I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with you, it’s more his availability that’s in question, or more the lack of it
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:19 pm

And I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with you, it’s more his availability that’s in question, or more the lack of it
You do seem to be disagreeing with me a bit.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:29 pm

Just for you and because there is nothing on the telly. I’ll explain. Anthony Watson was indeed a very good rugby player and has proved so on numerous occasions. When he is fit again and has a run of games he may well prove to be one again. Until that happens no one can say for certain what he currently is, other than unlucky with injuries
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:34 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:29 pm

Just for you and because there is nothing on the telly. I’ll explain. Anthony Watson was indeed a very good rugby player and has proved so on numerous occasions. When he is fit again and has a run of games he may well prove to be one again. Until that happens no one can say for certain what he currently is, other than unlucky with injuries
I think you're getting a bit too Schrodinger for a rugby forum. If you follow your logic then you could say the same about any rugby player when they aren't actually playing. For example, George Martin was a very good rugby player last Saturday, and may well prove to be one again this Saturday. Until that happens no one can say for certain what he currently is, I mean he may well have turned into a cat since we last saw him, until proven how do we know?

Or alternatively, we can say with a pretty high degree of certainty that George Martin is not a cat and Anthony Watson is a very good rugby player. We can't be 100% sure, but 99.9999% is probably close enough, right?