Harry Simmons

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Harry Simmons

Post by Smudge »

Can anyone enlighten me on what has happened to Harry?
There is a lovely clip on facebook of him stepping defenders and scoring a wonderful try.
A life long Tiger
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Harry Simmonds

Post by ourla »

He pulled out late injured at the weekend.

List is kindly kept by TigerFeetSteve »: viewtopic.php?t=48082
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Harry Simmons

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

He's behind OHC, Watson, Brown and Bassett in the pecking order on the wing, so I imagine his games will be few and far between.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Smudge wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:03 am Can anyone enlighten me on what has happened to Harry?
There is a lovely clip on facebook of him stepping defenders and scoring a wonderful try.
He went off injured in the PRC game vs Ampthill (looked nasty one).

When Jersey Reds collapsed we signed Ben Woollett on a short term deal (widely believed to be an injury replacement for Simmons)

He was due to be back on the bench vs Stade, but once again pulled out injured just this last weekend.

Currently no news if it's a reoccurrence or if this new injury is severe or not. He's had a terrible run of injuries and he looked properly sharp in the Ampthill game especially.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:47 am He's behind OHC, Watson, Brown and Bassett in the pecking order on the wing, so I imagine his games will be few and far between.
I doubt very much Brown will be selected over Simmons on the wing. At fullback sure but not on the wing.

I think Simmons will get game time, his pace is something we lack in the backs and his footwork is sharp. Having played both 9 and 15 coming through the academy (and in the first team) he's got a solid skill base as well.

If he can stay fit Simmons will be a really handy squad player for us this season. He might get a look in for the bench this weekend if fit with OHC out. Being able to inject speed into the side Vs a tiring defence. Otherwise it might not be until we rotate the side around bit he gets game time.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

He had that moment in Europe last season, and is a solid player, but to my memory he's only been selected when we're thin on the ground.

I'd definitely prefer Brown on the wing in a big game.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Yes as much I like Harry as a player I have to agree re Mike Brown
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Dont forget he is an ex SH and could possibly fill in there, when fit, with our injuries, in fact I rated him ahead of Ben White, (but look where he is now).
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

Time to move him on, Injury prone and not going to get the game time. And if he did we have no attack with back play.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

PeteK wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:59 pm Time to move him on, Injury prone and not going to get the game time. And if he did we have no attack with back play.
Eeesh that is a harsh take.

Will Simmons be our first choice winger at any point, probably not, but he is a more than capable squad player? Yes

Not everyone in the squad needs to be an international and Simmons hasn't reached his peak yet at only 26 and the more I see of him the better he can be.

I also wouldn't say he's overly injury prone he's had a couple, but I have no issue when returning from an injury the fact they take a bit of time with any knocks. The fact he's not on the injury list is a sign he's nearly there.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
SASCOkid
Tiger Cub

Post by SASCOkid »

I agree like most players though he needs game time to get to his best.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

SASCOkid wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:46 am I agree like most players though he needs game time to get to his best.
Well with injuries to our three first choice wingers, he now has an opportunity, I'm sure he will take it!
Soggypitch
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I like him,think there’s the X factor in there if he can perfect the nuts and bolts
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:33 am I like him,think there’s the X factor in there if he can perfect the nuts and bolts
One thing this Tigers team does lack in pace and Harry has it in spades!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:33 am I like him,think there’s the X factor in there if he can perfect the nuts and bolts
Agree