Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Innovation or return of the good old days

Post by Rugbygramps »

Excellent points Tiglon.
I was thinking about the maul law I quoted earlier. If I understand it correctly maul shouldn’t be called until a 2nd player from the team in possession binds on. So would I be right in saying that 3, 4 or 5 defensive players could latch on without it ever being a maul
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:23 pm Excellent points Tiglon.
I was thinking about the maul law I quoted earlier. If I understand it correctly maul shouldn’t be called until a 2nd player from the team in possession binds on. So would I be right in saying that 3, 4 or 5 defensive players could latch on without it ever being a maul
That's how I understand it, yes. The danger for the attacking team is that if they leave the ball carrier with 2/3/4 tacklers, to avoid the maul, he may get driven back a long way.

I honestly think it should be refereed out of the game. It's boring to watch, and it encourages the ball carrier to stay lower and the tacklers to go higher.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

northerntiger wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:10 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:13 pm
mightymouse wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:51 am just add everyone releasing the ball immediately on the floor and only competing with the feet in a ruck and then we really will have returned to utopia 😄
You can have a couple too :smt015 :smt015
Even better, let’s return to muddy, error strewn 9-6 matches
Probably better the a 35-33 game of uncoordinated pass the handbag with forward passes and offsides galore, never mind the obligatory 15 minute debate on whether there was head contact and was their mitigation.

Harrumph
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:08 pm
sk 88 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:04 pm Sorry for having my own opinion. Would a quiet message board without dissenting opinions.
I don’t disagree and of course you have your own valid opinion.

My question above still stands why not enjoy the smart piece of play instead of questioning what happened, and why question the officials and the TMO review.

That’s my opinion which I’m not sorry for having
I think expecting the rules of the game to be followed is a pretty banal opinion. Didn't consider it one of my more controversial ones to be honest.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Correct, you see it quite a lot in sevens (well, maybe not "quite a lot" but "on occasion") the attacking players don't join in so it remains a sort of nothing in the laws*. The original player in possession is then squirming to get to ground, or get the ball loose for a pass, while the defenders usually try and march them into touch.

*It isn't a tackle as the ball carrier isn't brought to ground, it isn't a maul, it obviously isn't a ruck. So it's sort just a free for all.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sk 88 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:08 pm
Correct, you see it quite a lot in sevens (well, maybe not "quite a lot" but "on occasion") the attacking players don't join in so it remains a sort of nothing in the laws*. The original player in possession is then squirming to get to ground, or get the ball loose for a pass, while the defenders usually try and march them into touch.

*It isn't a tackle as the ball carrier isn't brought to ground, it isn't a maul, it obviously isn't a ruck. So it's sort just a free for all.
I thought from an ealier poster quoting the Law that a maul is ether 1 v 2 or 2 v 1 or more, ie min 3. :smt017
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:23 pm
sk 88 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:08 pm

I thought from an ealier poster quoting the Law that a maul is ether 1 v 2 or 2 v 1 or more, ie min 3. :smt017
Has to be the ball carrier, one or more tacklers, and at least one other player from the ball carrier's team.