Tigers v Stade Francais (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 17th December 2023 - KO:5-30pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Stade Francais (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 17th December 2023 - KO:5-30pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:24 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:21 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:06 pm

Each to their own. Heath was very good but kept getting Martin, Rogerson, and Hatherall confused. Probably the head gear.
Mullins still sets the standard for me
Think he also refers to Vanes as "Alfie" not "Archie" in this clip (just after the minute)
https://twitter.com/TightFive_Rugby/sta ... bBfWw&s=19
I did hear that but thought it was me mishearing as I was listening on my phone on quite a low volume
Definitely said Alfie... the press tomorrow will be talking about Barbeary hat-trick by tomorrow...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Stade Francais (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 17th December 2023 - KO:5-30pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Also want to shout out to Shillcock, nailed EVERY kick, including touchline conversions etc... ok there was one missed kick out of hand. If any of those misses SF kick the 3 and win that game rather than go for a try
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:53 pm Also want to shout out to Shillcock, nailed EVERY kick, including touchline conversions etc... ok there was one missed kick out of hand. If any of those misses SF kick the 3 and win that game rather than go for a try
Shilcock is very much a premiership standard player, and will go down as one of those really canny signings.
The one kick he did miss for touch I’m led to believe are very difficult you almost need to kick the ball back a little.
Surprised they didn’t go for the posts or tap the ball from where it was
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I have been critical of Hanro not talking to the referee enough but I think he did very well with the ref today. Kept of the right side of him. Asked pertinent questions but did not claiming things which were not correct so kept his credibility. A few personal penalties but that is the cost of trying hard sometimes.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Reference to the nicknames post...after that game...

Shilcock...Sir Tain -does not miss.
Wells...Velcro...does not let go
Vanes.....varicos...can't think of anything other than a silly reference to a vein.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Offside wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:02 pm I have been critical of Hanro not talking to the referee enough but I think he did very well with the ref today. Kept of the right side of him. Asked pertinent questions but did not claiming things which were not correct so kept his credibility. A few personal penalties but that is the cost of trying hard sometimes.
:smt038 :smt038
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tykger wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:30 pm Reference to the nicknames post...after that game...

Shilcock...Sir Tain -does not miss.
Wells...Velcro...does not let go
Vanes.....varicos...can't think of anything other than a silly reference to a vein.
Try weather!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Focus on the Prem they said.

Play the B team they said.

What a day!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

ourla wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:11 am Focus on the Prem they said.

Play the B team they said.

What a day!
They (we) were right :smt040 Although I did not expect we would win!

The kids and the fridge players got a go... that showed what they are capable of. Exciting stuff!
Last edited by Pellsey on Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:48 pm
Pellsey wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:46 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:41 pm Why were Stade given an attacking scrum when they threw a second ball on? If the Ref was trying to be fair giving us the scrum would have been fair
Because they were in possession... in this case, sir was 100% correct.

Who threw it in, however, needs to be looked at!
I thought sir was generally pretty good. Couple of slightly odd calls but he got most of it spot on and let the game flow. A picky ref would have made that game incredibly stop start.

Not sure on the TMO.
I agree to some degree. Some of the calls were not just odd, but rediculous to me, but he did let the game flow well. Normally, he is a very good sir. And as you said, to be fair to sir, he sometimes had to listen to some "interesting views" from the TMO. That said, the TMO got some difficult calls right, IMHO.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:58 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:53 pm Also want to shout out to Shillcock, nailed EVERY kick, including touchline conversions etc... ok there was one missed kick out of hand. If any of those misses SF kick the 3 and win that game rather than go for a try
Shilcock is very much a premiership standard player, and will go down as one of those really canny signings.
The one kick he did miss for touch I’m led to believe are very difficult you almost need to kick the ball back a little.
Surprised they didn’t go for the posts or tap the ball from where it was
Completely agree! Shillcock is a really special player. Under the posts is a prime attacking position or a certain 3 points. A maul could have easily been set up with a tap and go, similar to how a line out could have set one up, but in a better position, and without the risk of losing the line out or missing the kick.

Kicking to touch from there accurately is not as easy as it seems - it is a good 25 metres away or so, and you always have the "draw" to be as close to the line as possible! As you said, it is probably better to kick it backwards! I certainly missed some easy kicks in my time! Although you would expect a premiership level 10 to easily manage that.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Great win away in Paris and especially when you look at the team. I always find it odd that the commentators don’t point out the fact we’ve sent a team without the stars and still came a way with the win . They said it was Vanes European debut but not the he was 4th choice and FTT was 5th choice hookers. The depth is incredible!
Fantastic to see big George back and he got through a staggering amount of work. Wells showed what a great club man he is and how valuable he is to us even although if Cam was fit he’d be 4th choice lock.
The back up half backs are the best 2nd string pair we’ve seen in a long time .. I’m a big fan of Shilcock.
I’d like to see more of Hurd and Whitcome. That last scrum once they settled in was immense.
When we look like we are weaker Hanro always stands up and leads like a warrior, and if Young Archie hadn’t got his hatrick on debut MOM could easily have gone to Hanro or George. Surely Hanro now deserves a break .. he’s the bloke who’s got through more work than anyone in the whole club. What a player!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Thought Tom Whiteley had his best game in a Tigers shirt. Skied a couple of box kicks, but other than that he was fantastic. Like a man possessed charging down their kickers!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:16 am Thought Tom Whiteley had his best game in a Tigers shirt. Skied a couple of box kicks, but other than that he was fantastic. Like a man possessed charging down their kickers!
The tackle he forced a knock-on from was huge!!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:16 am Thought Tom Whiteley had his best game in a Tigers shirt. Skied a couple of box kicks, but other than that he was fantastic. Like a man possessed charging down their kickers!
I said it on another thread, that he played like a man who knew an international was coming back for his shirt.