Tigers v Stade Francais (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 17th December 2023 - KO:5-30pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Stade Francais (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 17th December 2023 - KO:5-30pm

Post by RunTigerRun »

No6_Flanker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:53 am Anyone else think that Brown’s yellow card was a ridiculous call? There was no line break on, as it was around the fringes of the ruck, so should only have been a penalty. Not to mention that he is actually trying to play the ball in the SH’s hands before the pass is made.
Penalty only would have been reasonable imo but the yellow was a tad harsh. I thought yellows were only if it stopped a line break - and pt if only a clear scoring chance prevented?) anyways, we held out so fair play Tigers.

Sir had a pretty good game I thought, even though I disagreed with the Atkinson card and Brown’s, his explanations for the calls were very clear and he seemed to have the respect of the captains. He spoke in English and French and worked with his team efficiently. He was confident to back his decisions (re TMO wanting to give Charlie a red - ridiculous!!). I think sir has a big future if his reffereeing performances continue like this. 👏🏻
Tigerbeat

Re: Tigers v Stade Francais (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 17th December 2023 - KO:5-30pm

Post by Tigerbeat »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:06 am
No6_Flanker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:53 am Anyone else think that Brown’s yellow card was a ridiculous call? There was no line break on, as it was around the fringes of the ruck, so should only have been a penalty. Not to mention that he is actually trying to play the ball in the SH’s hands before the pass is made.
Penalty only would have been reasonable imo but the yellow was a tad harsh. I thought yellows were only if it stopped a line break - and pt if only a clear scoring chance prevented?) anyways, we held out so fair play Tigers.
Brown was deemed to knock it on deliberately and also in the red zone, cynical foul play.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Browns was 50/50 for me.
I thought he handled the Atkinson card really well. For me it was a card as Atkinson was out of control and took the player out. TMO was pushing for head contact but Sir was very clear and indicated on his body where he felt the majority of the force went. Excellent officiating imo
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

No6_Flanker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 am Agree with that pecking order: JVP, Youngs, Whiteley, Edwards is pretty decent. Not sure we would need Powell next season (if he isn’t already contracted)?
Agree. With Ollie Allan in the dev squad and already playing BUCS with Loughborough and some game time in Nat 2 this year (I think), I don’t think Powell is needed.

Youngs now retiring from international rugby saves us from losing 2 9s at the start of the year and AIs and 6N. The only caveat is if Youngs decides to retire full stop… but then I’d want to look for a stronger 2/3 choice Wigglesworth kinda player to back up JVP, compete with Whiteley and help develop Edwards/Allan. For me Powell is too hot and cold and lacks the control for a Tigers game plan.

Nice bloke I’m sure but not quite what we need. A Nic White style player on the other hand..!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:08 am
Brown was deemed to knock it on deliberately and also in the red zone, cynical foul play.
It was roughly 15-20m out though and centre field with cover… I get the premise but find it hard to see the ‘punishment as reflective’.

It’s like the Jonny May red a few years ago for 2 ‘deliberate knock ons’… I know the law states as much but seems ridiculous as a punishment imo.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

To me it was a little harsh. As you said there was certainly no line break.

I looked at it again and I am not even sure given the angle on the screen that it even touched his hands... it looked like brown actually hit the hand or arm of the scrum half, hence the ball going that way, but I certainly could be wrong here.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:16 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:08 am

It was roughly 15-20m out though and centre field with cover… I get the premise but find it hard to see the ‘punishment as reflective’.

It’s like the Jonny May red a few years ago for 2 ‘deliberate knock ons’… I know the law states as much but seems ridiculous as a punishment imo.
I actually gave up on rugby short term after that. It was sooo rediculous.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:58 am
Pellsey wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:23 am
Pellsey wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:46 pm

Because they were in possession... in this case, sir was 100% correct.

Who threw it in, however, needs to be looked at!
I've just had another look. It looked like the ball boys were asking for somebody in the croud to give them the ball. The person in the crowd seemed to "overthrow" and the ball ended up on the pitch...
That’s what it looked like on the telly. As the ref said it was a unique situation and had anything amounted from it, it would have been really unfortunate as we were on the verge of turning the ball over
Absolutely, and sir handled it well, IMHO.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

No6_Flanker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 am Agree with that pecking order: JVP, Youngs, Whiteley, Edwards is pretty decent. Not sure we would need Powell next season (if he isn’t already contracted)?
Powell was a useful pickup in the light of LI demise. We had just found out both Youngs and JvP were likely to be in the England squad so with 2 of them missing another head who McKellar had worked with in the past would have been useful.

He was useful, that performance vs Newcastle in the PRC had people legitimately saying he could challenge (but probably not quite make it) Youngs and JvP for a place in a full strength 23. What he is though is a 100% a confidence player, unfortunately that Bristol game followed by the drop and pen he gave away vs Bath probably shot his confidence.

That said for me whether we keep him next year depends entirely on what Youngs chooses to do. If Ben wants to retire I would keep Powell for the right price, he does offer something a bit different to the 9's we have and if Youngs retired I think keeping him around to help Allan and Edwards would be good.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I wonder what effect this result might have on our overall season.

I remember the year before last when we won the Prem there were a couple of games like this one that you felt built that belief that money and having a stellar squad can't buy. Might need another statement win before that really takes hold but...
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Another shout out to Harry Wells.

Love that bloke.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:43 am
YoWaGoWan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:37 am
fentiger wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:54 pm Side note: how much better to have Nick Heath commentating, actually telling Barclay to be quiet so we could hear the ref!
So many of the other commentators now seem to have their own agendas, Mullins in particular has, IMO, gone right down hill, regularly making gaffs!
It was always going to be better,there was no Me Me Healey involved :smt041
Mullins is always better without Kay and Healey as he feels less need to have matey chats
Really enjoyed the commentary team - always feel dismayed when I hear Mullins on the mic. Mullins seems to think he is more important than the game he's commentating on with a pre-thought list of players he wants to big up and no ability to actually commentate on the game as it unfolds and the players that make it happen in that game. Also good to have a comms team not trying to pick up on every possibly debatable ref decision and simply running with the decisions as they are made.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Pellsey wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:23 am
Pellsey wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:46 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:41 pm Why were Stade given an attacking scrum when they threw a second ball on? If the Ref was trying to be fair giving us the scrum would have been fair
Because they were in possession... in this case, sir was 100% correct.

Who threw it in, however, needs to be looked at!
I've just had another look. It looked like the ball boys were asking for somebody in the croud to give them the ball. The person in the crowd seemed to "overthrow" and the ball ended up on the pitch...
It was a fair old throw from the stands. Hooker in the making maybe and the overthrowing can easily be sorted with some ladder training.

Still buzzing from that win, real Tigers grit showed there, great to see. Referee let a lot of things go i thought, Stade scrum illegal the whole game, even the replacements were consistently at an angle like the front row they replaced !! They tried their best to influence the assistants and the referee to give "something", but fair play he held strong in that regard. One of the great Tigers wins that.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I know Lenny has retired from internationals, so I would assume there is a fair chance of a complete retirement at the end of this season. Just a guess.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerXV wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:16 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:43 am
YoWaGoWan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:37 am
It was always going to be better,there was no Me Me Healey involved :smt041
Mullins is always better without Kay and Healey as he feels less need to have matey chats
Really enjoyed the commentary team - always feel dismayed when I hear Mullins on the mic. Mullins seems to think he is more important than the game he's commentating on with a pre-thought list of players he wants to big up and no ability to actually commentate on the game as it unfolds and the players that make it happen in that game. Also good to have a comms team not trying to pick up on every possibly debatable ref decision and simply running with the decisions as they are made.
We all have styles we favour. Personally I don’t need someone telling me what’s going on in the game I can see that myself, I do however enjoy some banter as background noise, which others will find distracting