Central contracts

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Central contracts

Post by Old Hob »

It seems Maro Itoje can remain at Saracens as the RFU has given him a £150,000 contract. It still won't bridge the gap of the 50% cut in his salary but, apparently, it's enough.

I can't help thinking that Saracens have breached the salary cap - again; and this time with the connivance of HQ.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Central contracts

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:48 am It seems Maro Itoje can remain at Saracens as the RFU has given him a £150,000 contract. It still won't bridge the gap of the 50% cut in his salary but, apparently, it's enough.

I can't help thinking that Saracens have breached the salary cap - again; and this time with the connivance of HQ.
And if it was a central contract for Ellis Genge or Marcus Smith would you think the same about those clubs.

As was discussed on this forum a couple of months back central contracts are coming in one form or another like it or not
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean I suspect we will be getting a few central contracts
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

As long as it is divided equally is all we can ask 🤞
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:59 am I mean I suspect we will be getting a few central contracts
3 or 4 I would suspect.

Imo we want to see the best English players playing for English clubs. If this helps then so be it
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:02 pm As long as it is divided equally is all we can ask 🤞
How can you do that. If one club has 5 of Englands best players they get 5 central contracts, if a club doesn’t have any they don’t get any. You can’t dictate who England pick, or what club a player plays for
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:06 pmYou can’t dictate ............what club a player plays for
That might yet be a side effect of central contracts.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:06 pm
fentiger wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:02 pm As long as it is divided equally is all we can ask 🤞
How can you do that. If one club has 5 of Englands best players they get 5 central contracts, if a club doesn’t have any they don’t get any. You can’t dictate who England pick, or what club a player plays for
OK, maybe I phrased it wrongly..... surely if one club gets £150k for a players contract that's £150k more they have left for others. But if another club only gets £100k.... Maybe all central contracts need to be worth the same amount and if the respective clubs feel the need to top up they can? I just don't think it's going to be seen to be fair and it's likely to introduce other issues, my opinion!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:14 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:06 pmYou can’t dictate ............what club a player plays for
That might yet be a side effect of central contracts.
And it might not be nobody knows. I’m sure Steward would be delighted to be told he has to play for Newcastle or he isn’t getting a central contract.

Without the World Cup they are going to struggle to fill all the weekend in the season, they’re struggling now. It is nothing like cricket, you might find players miss 2 or 3 extra games a season
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:18 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:06 pm
OK, maybe I phrased it wrongly..... surely if one club gets £150k for a players contract that's £150k more they have left for others. But if another club only gets £100k.... Maybe all central contracts need to be worth the same amount and if the respective clubs feel the need to top up they can? I just don't think it's going to be seen to be fair and it's likely to introduce other issues, my opinion!
I don’t see why, unless you’re a fan, being fair comes into it. Surely you want the best players at your club.
I do agree that all contracts should be of the same value
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

At present the money from the RFU for access to England players is split equally between the PRL clubs, so a club with no internationals gets the same money as one that provides 8, this could not continue ie the money is for salary subsidy you would think.
The whisper I heard is the two sides are almost at war over the proposals.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:32 pm At present the money from the RFU for access to England players is split equally between the PRL clubs, so a club with no internationals gets the same money as one that provides 8, this could not continue ie the money is for salary subsidy you would think.
The whisper I heard is the two sides are almost at war over the proposals.
I would imagine so. Both sides will be wanting their pound of flesh
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The favouritism in these contract picks is gonna be unprecedented!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Imagine folk thinking that the RFU are implementing these contracts to benefit the clubs!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:10 pm Imagine folk thinking that the RFU are implementing these contracts to benefit the clubs!
Yeah, I imagine there are still some gullible enough to think that! Mind those flying pigs :smt044 :smt044