New Supporters Forum?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ellie

Re: New Supporters Forum?

Post by Ellie »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:25 pm Any ideas as to whom the club selected to be on this Forum?
I was wondering the same thing, appears to have gone very silent on this. You would’ve expected some of the “new offerings” that Andrea has been emailing about might’ve been discussed with the new forum as it’s supposed to represent a cross section of Tigers supporters.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Agreed, it is not only the overdue re-establishment of the Supporters Forum that needs sorting but the Open Forums where supporters can ask about Club developments, players, coaches and the deterioration of the previously enthusiastic Club Communications team.
Alas they made Gary the MC redundant and the present level of communication is very sadly lacking.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:05 pm Agreed, it is not only the overdue re-establishment of the Supporters Forum that needs sorting but the Open Forums where supporters can ask about Club developments, players, coaches and the deterioration of the previously enthusiastic Club Communications team.
Alas they made Gary the MC redundant and the present level of communication is very sadly lacking.
Ahh ,the old “open” forums with planted and already vetted questions :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:10 pm
AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:05 pm Agreed, it is not only the overdue re-establishment of the Supporters Forum that needs sorting but the Open Forums where supporters can ask about Club developments, players, coaches and the deterioration of the previously enthusiastic Club Communications team.
I can catagorically state that any questions that I and many others about me at those Open Forums were not planted or even vetted but straight out full bore exacting questions..
Having been to several in the past I do wonder if you Scott have ever had the pleasure of attending one or is this your assumptions again? Facts matter.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The questions raised at open forums were definitely not previously vetted nor were the questioners plants. Obviously there were occasions when concerns had been expressed publicly by many and the club knew and were prepared for the question but they did not know who would raise the matter of to where it would lead.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:16 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:10 pm
I can catagorically state that any questions that I and many others about me at those Open Forums were not planted or even vetted but straight out full bore exacting questions..
Having been to several in the past I do wonder if you Scott have ever had the pleasure of attending one or is this your assumptions again? Facts matter.
No chance! When we were going through our embarrassing patch no one ever questioned Simon Cohen's "worldwide" search. No one questioned MoC or Geordie etc. The questions were so soft I would've walked out in disgust if I was there. Absolutely no doubt they were carefully selected,and I didn't need to be there the notes were written up and posted online and I've read through a few of them.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

As we have come to expect Johnthegriff's answer is straight to the point and totally accurate, I too have been to many of these and remember the demanding questions to Simon Cohen , Geordan, Cockers & MOC and these were answered and several supporters added notes on the forum for non attendees. But nothing beats a rumour from those not attending or wanting to walk out!
I have found this note of the 3rd March 2020 forum with Simon Cohen etc, but that I expect will not wash with Scott.
~ Notes from supporters forum March 3, 2020 from SK88 and still on the forum search files.
All notes my own from last night's forum. No quotes are verbatim but if I use quote marks it is near enough.

Headlines for me: No communication from CVC regarding their plans, Cohen against a British & Irish League. Vague on Borthwick start date. Jan McGinty comes across very well, speaks sensibly, looks to bigger position and didn't just say what he thought people wanted to hear. Glynn seems better in this role, spoke well about academy as he did before but doesn't have all the bits he seemed bad at.

Present from club: Geordan Murphy (GM), Jan McGinty (JM), Ged Glynn (GG), Simon Cohen (SC), Andrea Pinchen (AP), Chris Rose (CR).

First question was from Gary Sherrard (club press) about signing of Nadolo.

GM: very exciting player, admired him when he was a player, top international quality but retired from internationals. Can play in a number of positions. We need physicality from our backs other than Manu to break the line.

Supplementary question about Ben & Tom Youngs

GM:"Highly sought players", they were keen to stay and we want to build the team around them.

First question from the floor was bout Brexit and its implications on Kolpack/EU players and quotas.

JM: Quotas under review with RFU & PRL, new regulations being consulted on now. Transition period means no change next season, so looking at season after that. We are expecting a hybrid system between current system and JIFF in France. Expect quotas to end up similar to current split of 70% British players(/employment rights) and 30% foreign.

Question: "JM, what 3 areas have you added value?"

JM: Having a fresh set of eyes on current players a big advantage, viewed club as a "sleeping giant" with small tweaks needed to get to very top. His three ways were:

How do you get better back ups so you don't miss the England players that are away for 40% of the season, want to get to the situation where they aren't automatic returnees because others are pushing them for place.

Need to increase the physicality to break teams down. Looking for power on 1 wing and pace on the other. Nadolo part of that,

Improve the basics to get into position to score tries in the first place. Signing of Steve Borthwick considered key here to improve details and basics.

We then had a presentation from GG about the academy. Many ways to judge an academy, results obviously are good but also how many players you produce. Said there were recently published figures showing we had most in Prem at one club or another. 56% of squad from academy.

We have 8 Development Player Pathway Centres across area (Norfolk, Notts, Lincs, Derby, Staffordshire (old school staffs too so all the way around the top of Birmingham) and obvs Leicester). Schools and clubs nominate into them 200+ each centre. Whittle down to academy groups of 20ish each age group. Players funnelled to 6 "good to great" private schools + Brooksby in Melton (this is why it looks a narrow base of schools picked from).

Main challenge has been bridging gap between academy & first team. This is main focus area now. 7 players moving from academy to development in the summer. 18 players over last couple of years, all go out of loan to get minutes. Said all had 1,000 + minutes on pitch at various levels this year. Presentation listed them and where they had been but too quick to note. Need co-operation from clubs, Jonny McPhillips not getting minutes at Doncaster so moved him to Notts. Leeds under Phil Davies upping training, so 3 guys there doing "S&C block" to get ready before going back.

Games scouted in person and on video, form filled in. Very detailed, transition coaches use it to help coach and develop the players.

Q: Is it sensible to try and develop players from Wales given competition from their home region?

GG: There will always been competition for the good players. Competition for Greg Bateman, kept him, competition for Jonah Holmes, kept him. Reffell under contract. "We'll see what happens with Costelow".

Q: When Steve Borthwick comes are you still going to pick the team?

GM: I will still have overall responsibility to pick the team but SB will run the rugby operation, training sessions etc, this is what he has been doing for England and where both see his strengths. Thinks it will work well.

Q: Where are we with sale of the club?

SC: We had a strategic review, sale process on going. "Always going to take time as not as simple as selling to highest bidder". More changes to the board to come, another person appointed today. Also blames promotion & relegation for slow sales process.

Q: To AP, what three things do you want to develop with new owners? (this was from same man that asked earlier 3 things question, like it was a job interview!)

AP: no.1 a women's team, trying to find and work with sponsors to develop this at the moment, 2 to "enhance the offer" to fans fight against Wasps free tickets, they don't work just undermine the value of a ticket. 3) bring the retail offering in house.

Q; Any plans for Coronoa virus and Castres QF?

SC: Like Boris Johnson we have plans but aren't going to tell you, not appropriate to speculate publicly, obviously will follow government advice if they ban large gatherings.

Q: Any plans for more inclusions days?

CR: Agree it was great, don't want to over promise and under deliver, so nothing firm to announce here. Learning what worked, what didn't. "Want to be the best at everything we do" that includes inclusion events as much as anything else.

Further question on women's game and relationship with Loughborough:

CR: Looking to build it from bottom up, not just pinch pro team from Loughborough. Looking to develop wider women's game in city/county which is more our area than Loughborough's.

GG: relationship with Loughborough really strong, hoping another 7 (same as above? not mentioned) players from development squad go there for uni next season. Lots of behind the scenes people went there (S&C, analysis etc) for both first team and academy.

Sarcastic question about cashless stadium, how is it going?

CR: very pleased with how cashless has gone and how levy are doing as new caterers this year. Quality & service better. Pint glass deposit return an issue we need to resolve.

Q: Jonny May is the best wing we've ever had (and we've had a lot of good ones), is he staying?

All: ......

GM: (joking) How dare you, I used to play wing here too you know! Seriously though, difficult to retain England players in salary cap, spoke earlier about improving depth in replacements for internationals and missing for so long. Great player, cannot comment further on pending contracts as not fair to talk further here. Will speak to him again when back from England.

Gary interjected and ask JM about how his role works with this:

JM: What used to be seasonal is now year round with different tournaments ending and starting at different times, take the contact with agents off Geordan as it is very full on all the time. Filters players available to GM to make decisions.

Q: What lessons have we learned from Mauger & Cockerill, how are you sure this won't happen again it looks the same from the outside?

SC: In theory that should have worked (SK note: what an odd defensive way to start but whevs). Waffled on for a while. Dynamics are very important, benefit of Steve being here not in NZ is that they have had lots of meetings, lots of discussions face to face to discuss ideas, playing, training, signings etc. Won't know until tested under pressure but very confident it will work.

GM (off mic but very loud): Also Cockers is mental.

Question about coaching this season:
GM: Talked about DNA and attitudes a lot. How we want to play, resilience under pressure.

End of part 1.

Beginning of part 2:

SC: Question for you here, would you rather come top 6 of win challenge cup? I voted for Challenge Cup, room was 60/40 in favour of top 6.

Q: Do you have plans for a full time accessibility person?

AP: No, can achieve goals through foundation (separate thing) and cover it within current people.

Question about Rugbypass documentary, podcasts of former players (e.g. Hamilton & Goode), any plans to produce more of this content oursevles?

GS: Yes but have to push at an open door, doing things when effectively bottom just invites abuse and jokes and takes away from what you want to achieve. We have ideas to develop for future.

Q: Since the Wasps game they've scored 97 points we've scored 17, why aren't our backs functioning?

GM: I won't make excuses but we're missing 4 players to England, we've had injuries like Taute and Reid and the weather has been poor. But I'm not making any excuses. (this answer was serious, and I don't think he realised that he had ONLY made a list of excuses to the question).

Q: how do you manage access to social media, some posts are vile?

GM: Hard, players want to go and read about themselves and get ego boost but then get the bad opinions too. I did it as player, would read the papers. Even then senior players said not to do it. When internet and social kicked off I was older and not as bothered. Part of wider problem of always accessible, similar to bullying of children in that it's always there. Have to deal with weekly now just how it is.

Q: What did strategic review say? What would an outright owner look like if needed? What are CVC's plans?

SC: Last part first, very little communication from CVC regarding their ideas about the league and developing revenue streams, no idea of their plans. Mentioned B&I League as an idea in media and that Tigers would be against it as traditional rivals very important. More waffle on promotion and relegation. Want an owner who would "uphold and enhance values", gave examples of Fenway group (Liverpool & Boston Red Sox) and King Power as people who try to grow from current traditions and bases.

Q: When is the hotel going to be finished and what impact on revenues/ opportunities does it give us?

SC: 18 month build (I make that Sept 2021) we get a ground rent but not massive revenues as we did not put much in to build it. Chance to buy it back in future if money there, so potential for significant reviews. Main thing is opportunity, will have direct link into stand from hotel, makes conferencing packages and match day packages very attractive. Also if we didn't build there a massive student block would have come right up to boundary.

Q: Any further fall out from the salary cap?

SC: Doubt it in terms of fines. Can't see anyone elses squad as outrageous, under stands how you can get an administrative breach gave example of contractually paying for flights budget £2k, player gets injured and goes home for Christmas and it costs £10k for him and partner. Conundrum for Bristol as players will want Prem wages as they renew now they are Prem players. Thought the process for second salary cap breach was very dodgy and that the Prem needs better regulations around these areas.

Q: Last year we won twice in the league away, at Newc & at Twickenham. This year it is no league away wins. What happens when we play away?

GM: Concerning, trying different things to change it. Can't put finger on why so poor.

Q: When is Borthwick starting?

SC: A very long winded answer that did not give a start date or particular hint at one.

Question on retail offering:

CR: Selected Samuari based on quality and delivery, corona virus willing happy this will be delivered on time. Want to get people back into shop/online and buying quality goods not having to return stuff because it is rubbish and not lasting. Don't expect loads of things at once but we are aiming for choice and to try things and expand popular ranges.

Q: What are our ambitions for the season?

GM: Europe been kind, Prem not good enough. Thinks we can win 6 from last 8 in the league. Climb the table and get people looking over their shoulder. Really focused on 3 in a row home games Bath, Castres, Irish. Wants 3 wins from those. Eventually said top 6 is the target.

Q: Why do we box kick so much?

GM: Good tactic, gave conservative justification of it and said stats back up to do it loads. Have to build wins and confidence, at the moment if we tried things and they failed heads go down and things pile up.

There were other questions but these were the ones with answers I wrote down and thought interesting.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Like I said,nothing questions. Was Mr. Cohen ever pulled on his “no stone left unturned Worldwide” search that all of a sudden morphed into a “has to have domestic experience” search? Er,nope!
Was the board ever pulled on why when they said that Murphy would get the job on merit that he got the job coming off a horrendous run? Er,nope!
Was the board ever asked who was turned down in our search for a new coach or if indeed we really interviewed anyone else at all when we ended up with MOC? Not that I’m aware of but happy to be proved wrong if anyone did have the testicular fortitude at the time to ask these very pertinent questions!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Murphy got the job after O'Connor was sacked following the debacle at Exeter. By the following season it was known that Borthwick would be joining us after the World Cup so Murphy continued with a squad minus all its international players. The search to replace Cocker and Mage was a couple of years previous to the meeting Wormus refers to so maybe time for questions on that was past. I am not sure the decision to appoint MOC was Simon Cohen's I think it was based on Matt's record when Head Coach under Cocker. We all agree that with hindsight it was a disaster, at the time I had my doubts particularly as I have often said we should not have sacked Cocker.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Ellie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:41 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:25 pm Any ideas as to whom the club selected to be on this Forum?
I was wondering the same thing, appears to have gone very silent on this. You would’ve expected some of the “new offerings” that Andrea has been emailing about might’ve been discussed with the new forum as it’s supposed to represent a cross section of Tigers supporters.
Back to my original question, Who has been selected for this forum? Anyone know please?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:52 pm Murphy got the job after O'Connor was sacked following the debacle at Exeter. By the following season it was known that Borthwick would be joining us after the World Cup so Murphy continued with a squad minus all its international players. The search to replace Cocker and Mage was a couple of years previous to the meeting Wormus refers to so maybe time for questions on that was past. I am not sure the decision to appoint MOC was Simon Cohen's I think it was based on Matt's record when Head Coach under Cocker. We all agree that with hindsight it was a disaster, at the time I had my doubts particularly as I have often said we should not have sacked Cocker.
GM didn't get the job immediately iirc,wasn't he caretaker coach and it was said he would be getting the main role depending on his results? Well they were dire! And he was still given the gig FT. Regardless,none of the difficult questions I posted,and more,were ever asked at these forums.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

If you had got off your backside and attended the Forum you could have asked them. Your problem seems to be that nobody asked the questions that you wanted answers to, the people there got answers to the questions asked, maybe not the answers they wanted but an answer never the less. I don't suppose there were many answers to questions that no one asked.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:03 pm If you had got off your backside and attended the Forum you could have asked them. Your problem seems to be that nobody asked the questions that you wanted answers to, the people there got answers to the questions asked, maybe not the answers they wanted but an answer never the less. I don't suppose there were many answers to questions that no one asked.
My problem is that no one asked any pressing questions at all! And we ALL wanted answers to the questions I put across,all we all should have because they were questions that needed and deserved answering at that time. And to be there surrounded by those who could've answered those questions and not ask them shows a lack of bottle to me!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:27 pm The questions raised at open forums were definitely not previously vetted nor were the questioners plants. Obviously there were occasions when concerns had been expressed publicly by many and the club knew and were prepared for the question but they did not know who would raise the matter of to where it would lead.
How many microphones were available to ask questions?

Answer = 1

How did supporters get to ask questions?

Answer = by possession of the microphone

Who possessed the sole microphone?

Answer = Gary Sherrard

So who controlled who got to ask questions?

Answer = Gary Sherrard
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

sapajo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:32 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:27 pm The questions raised at open forums were definitely not previously vetted nor were the questioners plants. Obviously there were occasions when concerns had been expressed publicly by many and the club knew and were prepared for the question but they did not know who would raise the matter of to where it would lead.
How many microphones were available to ask questions?

Answer = 1

How did supporters get to ask questions?

Answer = by possession of the microphone

Who possessed the sole microphone?

Answer = Gary Sherrard

So who controlled who got to ask questions?

Answer = Gary Sherrard
Everybody in the room was given the opportunity to ask questions and I do not recall anyone being ignored....
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk