Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

New Supporters Forum?

Post by ourla »

Anyone else got the email?

We are going to be "re-shaped" apparently...
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: New Supporters Forum?

Post by speedski »

Yes, got it, and its not the same as this forum...
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

speedski wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:11 am Yes, got it, and its not the same as this forum...
Oh, so what is it then?
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

ourla wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:38 pm
speedski wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:11 am Yes, got it, and its not the same as this forum...
Oh, so what is it then?
I believe they get a cross section of supporters and have meeting where thy can have feedback with the club and air views about issues and sneek peek or the strips and i think views on designs etc and just a mouth piece for connecting the club with its supporters directly.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Ah cool when I think of supporters forum I think of this place.

But, yeah, I'm a bit dumb, they meant the face to face meet up.

Good stuff - hopefully.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Since the club became a PLC there has been a non Board discussion body, originally the Members Association made up of many of the old committee. David Clayton changed that for a Forum that reflected all aspects of the clubs support. Of late that changed and it did ceased to be truly representative of the support base
Personally I thought it was handled badly at the last on line Teams meeting where people that have been freely giving time to help the club were just discarded. However if the new format returns to being truly representative of the current support that can only be a good thing
My concern is that in chasing the young opinion they may just forget and upset the older fan.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:45 pm Since the club became a PLC there has been a non Board discussion body, originally the Members Association made up of many of the old committee. David Clayton changed that for a Forum that reflected all aspects of the clubs support. Of late that changed and it did ceased to be truly representative of the support base
Personally I thought it was handled badly at the last on line Teams meeting where people that have been freely giving time to help the club were just discarded. However if the new format returns to being truly representative of the current support that can only be a good thing
My concern is that in chasing the young opinion they may just forget and upset the older fan.
Or be inclusive of old and young?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

As I said if the new format returns to being truly representative of all aspects of Tigers support that is a good thing. I wait to see it in action.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:45 pm Since the club became a PLC there has been a non Board discussion body, originally the Members Association made up of many of the old committee. David Clayton changed that for a Forum that reflected all aspects of the clubs support. Of late that changed and it did ceased to be truly representative of the support base
Given what I've heard of the fans forum over recent years, it badly needs an overhaul. I'm sure the club will be looking for a decent cross section across a broad range of supporter attributes, from die hard ST holders to longer distance occasional visitors of all ages and demographics. And hopefully the "kit sneak peek" (which seemed to be why some wanted to be part of it!) and other trivia will be removed from the agenda, which will be allowed to focus on what actually matters and makes a difference to the club. And removing the dead wood. I've long believed it really needs to be much more focused and probably no more than 10-20 people to be effective. Anything else becomes a meeting, where people will be hard pressed to actually express a coherent view.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Well in "recent years" there have been 2 meetings in the past 4 years, so I think the functionality of it is entirely down to the club.

As was the membership, this has always been entirely at the club's discretion. Some people seem to have a funny perception of who was a contributing member despite having literally no idea who used to go. People travelling long distances was not unusual in the slightest, with members from Lincolnshire, Mansfield, Wolverhampton regular attenders over the years. Obviously as a representative group about 80% of the people were local.

Things like a preview of the kit were a once a season perk for giving up several hours of your time on what was previously a regular basis. Unfortunately some people viewed that as the sole reason for attending, seemingly, and liked to play up the "behind closed doors element" for their ego of what was essentially a long term focus group around the general supporter experience. Those elements had already gone pre-covid as people didn't keep them confidential anymore.

The "new" group reads more like a return to the group from 15 years ago & I'd encourage people to apply, but be warned it can be quite boring & keep notes if you want to keep track of what's been promised/delivered.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Hot Charlie what you describe is pretty much what David Clayton's original forum had evolved to, after starting too big it gradually reduced to about 35 members with a regular attendance of 25 to 30 then the club decided to increase the numbers accepting anyone many of whom did not understand the concept of "confidential" and the club seemed to forget that this was a discussion group. It maybe that I was better known than some other member of the forum but several.people came to me with problems which I referred to David who would either answer himself or would direct me to the relevant member of staff. The answers was not always what the initiator wanted to hear but they at least got an answer.
If the new forum returns to the original then I will be happy, but if the guy not previously seen who spoke at our last face to face meeting is anything to go by his suggestion seemed to be that he and a few friends would set the agenda for future meetings, the forum rejected that and now they are disbanded with no thanks for past service.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

That’s interesting. I think hopefully a balance will be struck in having a proper constructive forum and then the “members events” where a larger crowd can maybe have an enjoyable evening and gain some insight into stuff.

Confidentiality though. Quite. What confidentiality!

As for the other guy, I think I know who you mean, and yes, bargepole springs to mind.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I used to attend the supporters forum pre covid. At first it was a symbiotic relationship with the club sharing information with the forum and the forum providing feedback to the club. Post the sacking of Cockers this relationship became one sided as the Club shared less and less with the forum.

Many forum members had done so for many years and they all deserve a big thank you for representing us.

I am looking forward to the return of the so called members evenings.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Any ideas as to whom the club selected to be on this Forum?