New Supporters Forum?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: New Supporters Forum?

Post by johnthegriff »

To me it was a clear statement that we plan on spending up to the cap but not over it. It was pointed out that some players previously on Academy contracts had enhanced their value and would require substantial increases to retain them. There was no mention made of Marquee players and of course our club like all other clubs is waiting for the RFU England contract announcement and to.learn just who it affects.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Surely "spending to the cap" just means we have the finances to do that as opposed to saying we can only afford or choose to spend £5.5m or £6m.

I mean expect we will always have some wiggle room right. You can't spend exactly £6.4m.

And we presumably will spend what we will feel we need to - so it might be £5.8, it might be £6.2. It's like a speed limit - it's not a target.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:29 am As someone who as at the Access All Areas event with McKellar and Wilkes, they were specifically asked to confirm that we will be spending up to the cap. It was quickly confirmed as yes we will be. However I am dubious given the signings announced and who is leaving, unless we have a raft of re-signings all done which need to be announced and will then take us up to the cap. That I suspect is a possibility given Andrea's comments on retention being so important.
Hasn’t it been confirmed that signs are not fully done.

You also need to factor that we will also need to make renewals next season, and some pretty big players potentially up for renewal next season
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:58 am
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:29 am As someone who as at the Access All Areas event with McKellar and Wilkes, they were specifically asked to confirm that we will be spending up to the cap. It was quickly confirmed as yes we will be. However I am dubious given the signings announced and who is leaving, unless we have a raft of re-signings all done which need to be announced and will then take us up to the cap. That I suspect is a possibility given Andrea's comments on retention being so important.

You also need to factor that we will also need to make renewals next season, and some pretty big players potentially up for renewal next season
Even if you were to allow for future signings, we're only looking at one or two more. So once you look at who is leaving, who we're bringing in and the £1m cap increase it is hard to see that we are spending up to the increased cap.

I have zero issue in us not spending up to the cap and creating headroom for retentions, that is a smart strategy and one i think most of us would endorse. What I do have an issue with is that they were asked a specific and direct question - "Are you going to spend up to the cap next season" and they answered yes. I do not feel comfortable that they answered a big question like that so definitely, if indeed that is not the case.

It is not a big deal, i appreciate, but it sits uncomfortably with me.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean we have potentially to re-sign the likes of at least
Steward
Montoya
Whitcombe
Cole
Chessum
Henderson
Kelly

And thats not factoring in also senior academy players on top of that who might step up to senior academy.

I feel the whole cap conversation is something that will be clearer come the actual start of season because historically have we gone an off season without signing someone late?
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

That is why A) i said have no issues with keeping plenty of headroom back for re-signings and B) i said originally that we may already have some more re-signings to announce.
SETiger
Tiger Cub

Post by SETiger »

I assume that it's no more than a case of knowing that there will be injuries to cover, squad members who don't work out and get traded, and just knowing that there'll be business done in the market after the season starts. So maybe they don't know how they'll spend up to the cap, but they know with 95% certainty that they will - enough to justify a definitive "yes" answer.

Did they get asked if they would spend up to the cap, in addition to a designated marquee player? Because that probably is more significant than a bit of cap headroom.

I could also imagine a bit of freedom in choosing the marquee player in such a way as to get the total cap spending on the rest of the squad as close to the limit as possible (if it was me, and after the last couple of fines, I wouldn't be cutting it so fine though).
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Judging the cap is a fine science, incorporating allowances for England qualified players hoping no-one decides to play for another country and RFU payment for those selected for England, not known at contract decision time. As someone else suggested there needs to be a bit of wriggle toom incase adjustments have to be made during the season. But broadly speaking we were assured that the club would be spending upto the cap and with a smile, not over it.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:22 am
RagingBull wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:58 am

Even if you were to allow for future signings, we're only looking at one or two more. So once you look at who is leaving, who we're bringing in and the £1m cap increase it is hard to see that we are spending up to the increased cap.

I have zero issue in us not spending up to the cap and creating headroom for retentions, that is a smart strategy and one i think most of us would endorse. What I do have an issue with is that they were asked a specific and direct question - "Are you going to spend up to the cap next season" and they answered yes. I do not feel comfortable that they answered a big question like that so definitely, if indeed that is not the case.

It is not a big deal, i appreciate, but it sits uncomfortably with me.
Sounds like you believe there is a lack of honesty? As you are well connected I’m guessing you know stuff?