European and South African teams in Champions' Cup 2023/24

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: European and South African teams in Champions' Cup 2023/24

Post by Old Hob »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:31 pm And let's stop being selfish from a fans point of view and think about the players. I know you get this playing Leinster or maybe a top French club away from home but for some that will never get an international cap playing a gun SA side away from home in one of the worlds most famous stadiums could be one of the pinnacles of their playing career. They're here to stay,they've made the URC a better competition already and been in 2 finals winning one so time to stop moaning and just accept it and get on with it.
We know you are an SA fanboy but you have closed your eyes to the reality. Thinking about the players? Extra travel, extra time away from home. The expense, the wear and tear. No, the game is not worth the candle.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:01 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:31 pm And let's stop being selfish from a fans point of view and think about the players. I know you get this playing Leinster or maybe a top French club away from home but for some that will never get an international cap playing a gun SA side away from home in one of the worlds most famous stadiums could be one of the pinnacles of their playing career. They're here to stay,they've made the URC a better competition already and been in 2 finals winning one so time to stop moaning and just accept it and get on with it.
We know you are an SA fanboy but you have closed your eyes to the reality. Thinking about the players? Extra travel, extra time away from home. The expense, the wear and tear. No, the game is not worth the candle.
I take it you want to do away with summer international tours too then after a long ,hard season?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

You're probably both right - some players will love the challenge of facing the Saffa sides, others would prefer not to have the time away.

I'd imagine most would be the former, I'm not sure many 20-somethings would resent a work trip to South Africa with a further opportunity to exhibit their skills.

And those with families? Most people I know with young families are quite happy to have a few days break every now and then!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:36 pm You're probably both right - some players will love the challenge of facing the Saffa sides, others would prefer not to have the time away.

I'd imagine most would be the former, I'm not sure many 20-somethings would resent a work trip to South Africa with a further opportunity to exhibit their skills.

And those with families? Most people I know with young families are quite happy to have a few days break every now and then!
I'm sure that every player fancies playing against SA sides, BUT in the closed season when touring teams can stay for days/weeks etc, weekly commuting on long haul is not good for anyones health or finances.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

There is a huge difference between flying in and out to play 1 game w I thin a few days, and flying in to play 3 games and moving between SA provinces, or even a longer tour
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:06 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:36 pm You're probably both right - some players will love the challenge of facing the Saffa sides, others would prefer not to have the time away.

I'm sure that every player fancies playing against SA sides, BUT in the closed season when touring teams can stay for days/weeks etc, weekly commuting on long haul is not good for anyones health or finances.
I think most players would be happy travelling to South Africa once or twice a year - no one is suggesting weekly - and I don't see how it affects players finances or damages their health.

I've known many people who have had to travel abroad for work for a few days at a time, and they've all enjoyed it.

But what do I know? You'd have to ask the players...
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:44 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:06 pm

I think most players would be happy travelling to South Africa once or twice a year - no one is suggesting weekly - and I don't see how it affects players finances or damages their health.

I've known many people who have had to travel abroad for work for a few days at a time, and they've all enjoyed it.

But what do I know? You'd have to ask the players...
Re: Finances. My post was badly worded; the finance I was thinking about was the clubs' and the spectators.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I believe that the Clubs are re-imbursed for the additional costs going to SA. It is the fans that are out of pocket.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Spectators can choose to go or not, same with any away fixture. No one is "out of pocket".
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

So the fans don’t matter?
Many of us have followed Tigers all round the British Isles and occasionally to France, but a travelling to South Africa to watch a game is impractical and for most excluded by cost.

The attending fans are a key part of the game. Save the big away trips for international tours.

It’s not great for the players. Travelling up to 20 hours each way to play in the heat of the summer and get home again nor the next weekend with recovery and training to fit in.
In the end it’s hardly surprising teams send a Weakened shed squad. Hardly great TV and not ideal for the next weekend’s match
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

mol2 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:33 am So the fans don’t matter?
Many of us have followed Tigers all round the British Isles and occasionally to France, but a travelling to South Africa to watch a game is impractical and for most excluded by cost.

The attending fans are a key part of the game. Save the big away trips for international tours.

It’s not great for the players. Travelling up to 20 hours each way to play in the heat of the summer and get home again nor the next weekend with recovery and training to fit in.
In the end it’s hardly surprising teams send a Weakened shed squad. Hardly great TV and not ideal for the next weekend’s match
A Lot of this I agree with. The atmosphere at a ground and the feeling at the match is made up by having 2 sets of supporters. Now, I am sure that the distance is mitigated for our home matches by the quote large SA ex pat community in the UK. I am not sure the same applies to our matches in SA.

In all honesty, I feel nothing when it comes to matches involving SA teams. There is no history, no rivalry, do not know many of the players and it is just not appealing to me. That, I appreciate, is a personal opinion and not one everyone will feel.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Young Vanes has made the MidiOlympique European Champions' XV of the weekend, yet he must be behind Montoya, Claire and Dolly in the pecking order.

If other clubs are in need of a hooker, let's not be surprised if they come calling to prise Vanes away from Tigers to give him valuable game time.
Last edited by Robespierre on Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper in excretia
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Yorkshire man
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkshire man »

Regarding costs and travel issues I have just read an article about Newcastle Falcons who having travelled to South Africa for a game, which isn't ideal with their financial problems, had their return flight I think from Cape Town cancelled, and have eventually returned home two days late having had to take three separate flights to get back. They now have to train and prepare for a game on Friday night which doesn't give them much chance of success.

I hate to throw this secondary issue into the pot but aren't we all being asked to reduce our air miles to help the environment?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer