Return of Champions Cup - Tigers v Stormers - Sunday 10th December 2023

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Return of Champions Cup - Tigers v Stormers - Sunday 10th December 2023

Post by Rugbygramps »

Quote from Stormers coach John Dobson “ Does it make sense to send a Willemse or a Fourie via Mogadishu to Leicester on a Sunday”

Would indicate he may we be considering sending a B team
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Return of Champions Cup - Tigers v Stormers - Sunday 10th December 2023

Post by Robespierre »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:45 pm Quote from Stormers coach John Dobson “ Does it make sense to send a Willemse or a Fourie via Mogadishu to Leicester on a Sunday”

Does it make sense to have included South African teams in the European Champions' Cup?
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:52 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:45 pm Quote from Stormers coach John Dobson “ Does it make sense to send a Willemse or a Fourie via Mogadishu to Leicester on a Sunday”

Does it make sense to have included South African teams in the European Champions' Cup?
Well not for me no, others will disagree.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The French have been sending B teams away themselves in both European Cups at times too so.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:53 pm

Well not for me no, others will disagree.
Not for me, either.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The past couple of seasons we've only been sending B teams to away Euro games as well.

To be honest, the whole format feels a bit broken - lots of mismatches due to ever-growing budget differences and the above. In the past it was possibly my favourite competition, almost every game felt like a test match. Now it's a run through of training matches until the competition really starts when it's just a handful of French teams plus Leinster left.

This used to be the most exciting part of the season, it felt like a step up in intensity when the Heineken Cup matches appeared on the horizon - now it feels like a bit of a break and a rest for the first XV.

It doesn't help that I've grown bored of the format changes in recent years, and I just cannot be bothered to even try to figure out the group stage structure.

I think the competition has lost any sense of consistency and clarity, it's now just a bit confused from a viewers point of view.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Agree, the format doesn’t work and it’s glamour is gone. Dare I say it’s all a bit pointless when only the French and Ireland… sorry Leinster… end up in the final.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

It’s a good point well made that I would expect us to send a shadow side to Paris as the following fixtures v Exeter and Bath are imo more important.
The difference for me is that is a coaching decision as opposed to the effect 2 long haul flights in a week could have on players
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:32 pm It’s a good point well made that I would expect us to send a shadow side to Paris as the following fixtures v Exeter and Bath are imo more important.
The difference for me is that is a coaching decision as opposed to the effect 2 long haul flights in a week could have on players
Exactly!
Semper in excretia
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Let’s face it, Rugby is pretty impenetrable to the average sports fan and the way the Champions Cup is set up doesn’t help matters.

At the risk of going off topic, the sport is destined to fail if the powers that be can’t find a way to make competitions understandable and like football, have the best players available for clubs throughout the season.

Until then no casual observer is going to sit down on a weekend and engage with the sport as none of it makes sense. If you were starting the sport from scratch there is no way you’d even consider the structure we have got now.

It fosters a close knit group as we are all “in on it” and get it but when you try and explain why it makes you sound borderline insane. That in turn makes growing the global fan base very difficult when you tune in to watch a game that should be good but half the best players aren’t playing.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:23 pm Let’s face it, Rugby is pretty impenetrable to the average sports fan and the way the Champions Cup is set up doesn’t help matters.

At the risk of going off topic, the sport is destined to fail if the powers that be can’t find a way to make competitions understandable and like football, have the best players available for clubs throughout the season.

Until then no casual observer is going to sit down on a weekend and engage with the sport as none of it makes sense. If you were starting the sport from scratch there is no way you’d even consider the structure we have got now.

It fosters a close knit group as we are all “in on it” and get it but when you try and explain why it makes you sound borderline insane. That in turn makes growing the global fan base very difficult when you tune in to watch a game that should be good but half the best players aren’t playing.
A big step towards this has come through the recent demise of the failed 3. Silver lining?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I’m in favour of the SA teams ,long may it continue. They’ve certainly spiced up the URC!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

As I understand it the South African sides in the URC, will fly up and play 3 games against Celtic opposition whilst here, thus minimising the travelling, my apologies if this isn’t always correct.

The issue with the way European rugby games are currently structured is that there are 2 blocks of 2 games one home and away, so for the Stormers squad for example, playing on Sunday they will have a 15/20 hour journey on Wednesday/ Thursday, and then after the game the return journey on the Monday.
It is a lot of travelling in a short space of time and I can’t imagine they will be flying business class
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:18 pm The past couple of seasons we've only been sending B teams to away Euro games as well.

To be honest, the whole format feels a bit broken - lots of mismatches due to ever-growing budget differences and the above. In the past it was possibly my favourite competition, almost every game felt like a test match. Now it's a run through of training matches until the competition really starts when it's just a handful of French teams plus Leinster left.

This used to be the most exciting part of the season, it felt like a step up in intensity when the Heineken Cup matches appeared on the horizon - now it feels like a bit of a break and a rest for the first XV.

It doesn't help that I've grown bored of the format changes in recent years, and I just cannot be bothered to even try to figure out the group stage structure.

I think the competition has lost any sense of consistency and clarity, it's now just a bit confused from a viewers point of view.
Totally agree with everything you have said here.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Plus another one, Tiglon. Dead right.