Farrell out of Six nations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Farrell out of Six nations

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Owen Farrell is stepping back from international rugby for the Six nations to concentrate on his and his families mental well-being

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67569874
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Farrell out of Six nations

Post by Old Hob »

He does get a lot of stick much of which is far worse than is on this site, I believe.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:17 pm Owen Farrell is stepping back from international rugby for the 6N to concentrate on his and his families mental well-being
I see that as very sensible thinking. If the selectors will not give people the time off they want or need via rotation then it is time for the players to do it themselves. It is early in a world cup cycle, a tournament out is not going to put his place at risk and he feels he needs some time out of the England spotlight so good on him for doing it.

Personally I think that for the first 2 years of a world cup cycle, players should only play 6 nations or autumn internationals. You would then have 2 squads gaining match experience and the stars form each can then form one team for the 2 years building up to the tournament. Better player welfare, more players with top level, match day experience, more opportunity to try new players, it is a win, win and as long as you do not put all of the top names in one squad, you should still be competitive.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

What a great opportunity to play some expansive rugby and develop a new FH.

Just for a bit of fun imagine a back line of JVP, Shillcock, OHC, Kelly, Porter, Watson, Steward. :smt048
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:28 pm What a great opportunity to play some expansive rugby and develop a new FH.

Just for a bit of fun imagine a back line of JVP, Shillcock, OHC, Kelly, Porter, Watson, Steward. :smt048
You have obviously not watched Saracens play over the last season and a half. England’s problem is the coach not the players.

I agree it’s a very sensible decision and one that others may follow.
I understand that people do not like his personality, but as someone who was discussed over the weekend as having the capability of getting 150 caps, as well as being his country’s leading points scorer and leading points scorer at RWC imo he deserves more credit on the pitch.
It will be interesting to see where Borthwick goes as he learns nothing replacing him with Ford and Tuilagi needs retiring
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Credit to him for making the call.

Probably not a bad thing for England to try different options at the very start of a new cycle.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

A good call from Farrell - health and family first.

Many may not like or appreciate the man (our perception) or the player.
How many would , if fit ,have him in their side though ?
His record speaks for itself , in many ways.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:00 pm A good call from Farrell - health and family first.

Many may not like or appreciate the man (our perception) or the player.
How many would , if fit ,have him in their side though ?
His record speaks for itself , in many ways.
I've been a critic in the past, although I wonder how much of that criticism has been caused by my perception of him being skewed due to playing in certain 'systems'. He is, undoubtedly, a world class player who would make his way into almost any team.
Wish him and his family all the best :smt023
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I can only wish him well
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Hope he and his family are well. The impact that a decision such as this can have, positively, on mens mental health could be very significant.

I don’t like how he behaves on the field at times but quite frankly that is irrelevant compared to an issue such as this.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Tigers86asw wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:39 pm Hope he and his family are well. The impact that a decision such as this can have, positively, on mens mental health could be very significant.

I don’t like how he behaves on the field at times but quite frankly that is irrelevant compared to an issue such as this.
I couldn’t agree more
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not a fan of his but I wish him all the best. Some things are bigger than rugby
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It may be it is a way of retiring from international rugby without closing the option to return or forcing the coach to move on by dropping you.

Equally the demands on him as captain are great her than any other player.

Playing at club level in a dominant team is a world away from the tight confines of international rugby so the way Sarries play may not be a comparison to how he or any other fly half could do.

Overall this may give Borthwick the option to evolve his side in a way that isn’t built around Farrell.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Try and get his stuff together playing for a club where he feels loved … whilst negotiating his Rugby League career with Wigan? 😂
Also being serious and slightly cynical but possibly true… he has just agreed a deal with Sarries where he is the sole marquee player. Everyone thought this was was odd versus Otoje … but if he has promised not to play for England for couple of years that makes him more valuable to them, so he therefore gets the bigger 💵 💰
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I don't read this as him saying he has mental health problems, just that he wants a bit of a break from the pressure and exposure of international rugby.

I'm sure he's fine and I hope he enjoys a well earned rest from England duties.