Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Farrell out of Six nations

Post by Cagey Tiger »

GB72 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:22 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:59 pm Perhaps it's a ploy. Saracens are reported to be trying to cut Itoje's salary in half. What if Itoje became the single marquee player and Farrell's salary was cut only to be made up by a central contract.

Other conspiracy theories are available.
To be fair, I would expect us to be doing similar. It may well be that players like Steward, JVP, Chessum, Martin maybe Watson and even OHC going on to hybrid contracts will be what allows us to afford what we need to spend to retain players like Weisse.

Our problem may well be that we have too many on hybrid contracts meaning a lot of fan favourite, home grown talent is only seen at the club on special occasions. My fear is that hybrid players may be seen for European matches and not a great deal else.
From what I have read, your fear is not going to be the case. The clubs are not going to being paying a fair chunk of the players' hybrid salary without having a major say in when they play.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:27 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:59 pm Perhaps it's a ploy. Saracens are reported to be trying to cut Itoje's salary in half. What if Itoje became the single marquee player and Farrell's salary was cut only to be made up by a central contract.

Other conspiracy theories are available.
To be fair, I would expect us to be doing similar. It may well be that players like Steward, JVP, Chessum, Martin maybe Watson and even OHC going on to hybrid contracts will be what allows us to afford what we need to spend to retain players like Weisse.

Our problem may well be that we have too many on hybrid contracts meaning a lot of fan favourite, home grown talent is only seen at the club on special occasions. My fear is that hybrid players may be seen for European matches and not a great deal else.
From what I have read, your fear is not going to be the case. The clubs are not going to being paying a fair chunk of the players' hybrid salary without having a major say in when they play.
My concern was that the original points mentioned were that the hybrid contracts were to give England a greater level of control over when those contracted players played. The devil will be in the detail when we see what comes out but I still fear a push for longer rest periods that are at set times and longer training camps before internationals. Hope it does not come to that.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

GB72 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:33 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:27 pm

My concern was that the original points mentioned were that the hybrid contracts were to give England a greater level of control over when those contracted players played. The devil will be in the detail when we see what comes out but I still fear a push for longer rest periods that are at set times and longer training camps before internationals. Hope it does not come to that.
When we get players back, we dont usually play them immediately as they have not trained with the side, so ultimately would mean even less appearances for the club.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Imo,and I’m usually wrong on many things haha,but the idea that clubs will have more control with these central contracts seems crazy to me! These are being brought forward to benefit England! I can only think of cricket and it may not be the best examples but who did those contracts benefit?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

So what really is a hybrid contract?
"My fear is that hybrid players may be seen for European matches and not a great deal else." quote.

My neighbour is "hybrid working" 2 days in the office, 2 days at home and one day restoring his vintage car!
He also has a "hybrid car" that works for 2 days and has 2 days back at the dealers and one day in his own garage.
So hybrid rugger players .......... ? :smt017
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The best question to ask ones self regarding the situation is “have the RFU introduced these central contracts to help the clubs?”. Theres your answer
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

My concerns about Faz getting a central contract have to some extent been eased as the contacts don't start till next season and he has only withdrawn from the 6N so will probably have returned to the fold.
Hehehehehehehehe
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Regarding cricket’s central contracts: I doubt those players are seen much at all by their home clubs. Maybe someone with a copy of Wisden can work out the proportion of appearances they made last season?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Lutontiger wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:29 pm Regarding cricket’s central contracts: I doubt those players are seen much at all by their home clubs. Maybe someone with a copy of Wisden can work out the proportion of appearances they made last season?
I can’t see them being that bad surely ,but a part of me is worried that those contracted will only be seen in a few big games,Europe and the playoffs. It will surely be less than now or what’s in it for the RFU?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Lot of conjecture on here I must have missed the bit where the Premiership clubs agreed to centrally contract their players handing control on how often and even what position the player is selected in. Personally.i don't think it would benefit the clubs or England as I think we would reconsider our Academy production line and possibly employ more South African or Argentinian players to replace the unavailable English.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:07 pm Lot of conjecture on here I must have missed the bit where the Premiership clubs agreed to centrally contract their players handing control on how often and even what position the player is selected in. Personally.i don't think it would benefit the clubs or England as I think we would reconsider our Academy production line and possibly employ more South African or Argentinian players to replace the unavailable English.
No one has said that the clubs have agreed to anything,where did you see that?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

What's in it for the RFU? Clubs able to keep the top players playing in tbe Premiership without going bust and leaving England without a meaningful competion for English players. Maybe (although i doubt it) the RFU and PRL are slowly beginning to realise that they both need each other otherwise English rugby will go belly up and quickly.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:54 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:10 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:57 pm

And other people say that statistics can be used, favourably, in any direction to support any (their own) theories.

Statistics alone do not tell a complete story, but a lot of people rely heavily on them in the first instance, without corroboration.
That's probably right in about 63% of circumstances ...
Exaggerations actually went up 97% this year :smt005 :smt023
I've told you a million times...do not exaggerate! (Rik, the Young Ones)
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.