Tigers v Newcastle Falcons (H) - Premiership - Sunday 3rd December 2023 - KO: 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle Falcons (H) - Premiership - Sunday 3rd December 2023 - KO: 3-00pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’m in awe of anyone that went to watch rugby in that yesterday let alone play in it.
The attendance figures will include season ticket holders, but the weather was bound to have an effect. There were noticeable gaps at the Stonex too
Tykger

Re: Tigers v Newcastle Falcons (H) - Premiership - Sunday 3rd December 2023 - KO: 3-00pm

Post by Tykger »

sapajo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:25 pm About 10000 going on what I could see on the TV coverage if that :smt017
Cheers
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:25 pm About 10000 going on what I could see on the TV coverage if that :smt017
Would have thought nearer to 15000, that big stand holds over 10000 so even half full there’s still over 5000 in
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:20 am First back rower since Back to get a hattrick - well done Reffell.

As for supporters not wanting to turn out at 3 on a Sunday. Really!?
100% for the guys I know who didn't turn out it was the weather that was their issues, had it not been on the TV a couple extra may have gone but I know plenty who if there is bad forecast they tend not to go...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
bendy

Post by bendy »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:59 am I noticed a few more blasts of smoke on the water during breaks in play to gee the crowd up. Were there any objections?
It's obviously a new initiative - the second consecutive game they've played this after a try. I don't mind it at all, and I've certainly not heard any objections.

I'm not sure it's necessarily designed to "gee the crowd up" during "breaks in play" however, as arguably the point immediately after a try is when the crowd are already at their most 'up'.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

bendy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:50 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:59 am I noticed a few more blasts of smoke on the water during breaks in play to gee the crowd up. Were there any objections?
It's obviously a new initiative - the second consecutive game they've played this after a try. I don't mind it at all, and I've certainly not heard any objections.

I'm not sure it's necessarily designed to "gee the crowd up" during "breaks in play" however, as arguably the point immediately after a try is when the crowd are already at their most 'up'.
I do agree so used more as a celebration good to hear
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

The atmosphere was very flat and the sounds bites were a welcome intervention for me
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:15 pm
ourla wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:20 am First back rower since Back to get a hattrick - well done Reffell.

As for supporters not wanting to turn out at 3 on a Sunday. Really!?
100% for the guys I know who didn't turn out it was the weather that was their issues, had it not been on the TV a couple extra may have gone but I know plenty who if there is bad forecast they tend not to go...
Thks for your sympathetic reasoning TFS, my wife and I would have been there but sadly due to severe colds we decided not to go, couldn't risk pneumonia again.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Weather influences people's decisions more than just about anything.

Fewer people leave their houses when it's dark/cold/windy/raining/snowing/icy.

You're always going to have low turn outs when the media is full of weather warnings and it's -2 or whatever outside.

That said, for the less regular fan, Sundays can be less appealing, as can Fridays.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

And people say the game has gone soft.

Seems to me the supporters have gone soft.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

doesn't really matter how many show up its how many seats are sold that makes the club money
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

ourla wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:37 pm And people say the game has gone soft.

Seems to me the supporters have gone soft.
In the current weather conditions a 4hr drive is likely to turn into a 6hr one; the trains being all ahoo doesn't help either.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Sorry but if we don’t get down and support the Tigers it’s no use moaning in a couple of years when the club is in serious danger of going the same way as Wasps, Irish, Worcester and Jersey Reds. Tom and Scott cannot keep bailing the squad out. Those who support from far away cannot be expected to travel on Sundays in awful weather but we need bums on seats. All clubs do.
For those old fashioned types like me yesterday’s game was a brilliant wet weather performance.
Come on Tigers. And well done City and their great supporters at West Brom.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

There were also mixed messages from EMR
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:47 pm Sorry but if we don’t get down and support the Tigers it’s no use moaning in a couple of years when the club is in serious danger of going the same way as Wasps, Irish, Worcester and Jersey Reds. Tom and Scott cannot keep bailing the squad out. Those who support from far away cannot be expected to travel on Sundays in awful weather but we need bums on seats. All clubs do.
For those old fashioned types like me yesterday’s game was a brilliant wet weather performance.
Come on Tigers. And well done City and their great supporters at West Brom.
As season ticket holders, the club get our money regardless of whether we turn up or not. As for food and beer, these are contracted out so I doubt if club get any matchday return, probably only the annual contract sum?
The club really needs to sell loads of tickets etc to the casual supporter, or visiting supporters, those rely on travel and weather forecasts etc.