Tigers v Newcastle Falcons (H) - Premiership - Sunday 3rd December 2023 - KO: 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle Falcons (H) - Premiership - Sunday 3rd December 2023 - KO: 3-00pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Snowdrop wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:37 pm
Pellsey wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:01 pm Completely agree with all. She is certainly one of the best sirs out there and I would definitely favour her to some others....
One of the best refs at WR in a while. I believe she would be referred to as Ma'am. This being the formal way to refer to a lady in authority (as practised in the Military).
I thought you were in rugby still supposed to refer to them as sir? ie prevent that split second delay in players working out what title to use
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle Falcons (H) - Premiership - Sunday 3rd December 2023 - KO: 3-00pm

Post by mightymouse »

Good result, good ref, miserable weather. I don’t blame people not turning out .. I’m still trying to get warm!! I’m sorry to say it though, the other major factor was it was a Sunday night .. people just don’t want to watch rugby live in a Sunday night .. the sport is killing itself .. death by a thousand cuts and that’s one of them!
As for the poor women who played afterwards I can only imagine that they were watched by one man and a dog!! They deserve better! Ie a curtain raiser earlier on a Saturday afternoon.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:02 am
Snowdrop wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:37 pm
Pellsey wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:01 pm Completely agree with all. She is certainly one of the best sirs out there and I would definitely favour her to some others....
One of the best refs at WR in a while. I believe she would be referred to as Ma'am. This being the formal way to refer to a lady in authority (as practised in the Military).
I thought you were in rugby still supposed to refer to them as sir? ie prevent that split second delay in players working out what title to use
I'm sure I remember her giving an interview after being the first female ref in the prem, a Quins match IIRC, and she said she didn't care which term is used, as long as it's done with respect.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Sara Cox had an excellent game. Aside from the first seven or eight minutes, when we couldn't get out of our own half, we were also excellent. Played the conditions perfectly. Having Brown and Steward in the back three worked exceptionally well. Hopefully DMC gets his wish and keeps Brown around for a little while longer.

It does underline though, how much we rely on Montoya, Wiese and Pollard. If we'd have played Newcastle during the World Cup period I do think we'd have struggled.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

mightymouse wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:12 am Good result, good ref, miserable weather. I don’t blame people not turning out .. I’m still trying to get warm!! I’m sorry to say it though, the other major factor was it was a Sunday night .. people just don’t want to watch rugby live in a Sunday night .. the sport is killing itself .. death by a thousand cuts and that’s one of them!
As for the poor women who played afterwards I can only imagine that they were watched by one man and a dog!! They deserve better! Ie a curtain raiser earlier on a Saturday afternoon.
My thoughts exactly….makes no sense to have the women play after the men, especially on a Sunday evening
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:14 am It does underline though, how much we rely on Montoya, Wiese and Pollard. If we'd have played Newcastle during the World Cup period I do think we'd have struggled.
We did play them in the World Cup period. They picked their full strength team (minus their World Cup stars who they rely on) and we won 60-7.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

When we beat them 60-7 they fielded 13 of the same 23 who played yesterday plus Orlando and Pepper. We didn't struggle then in the absence of our World Cup players. Isn't thinking that we would have done just following the pre-conceived script? Our squad does have depth and, given time for the new coaching regime to bed in and the involvement of our previously absent stars, we will be challenging top four come the business end of the season.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:14 am Sara Cox had an excellent game. Aside from the first seven or eight minutes, when we couldn't get out of our own half, we were also excellent. Played the conditions perfectly. Having Brown and Steward in the back three worked exceptionally well. Hopefully DMC gets his wish and keeps Brown around for a little while longer.

It does underline though, how much we rely on Montoya, Wiese and Pollard. If we'd have played Newcastle during the World Cup period I do think we'd have struggled.
Tommy Reffell also slots into that group of players, absolute monster at the breakdown and picking up some important try’s. Could argue he is the inform 7 in the world currently.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

The whole squad were great yesterday. The players who make huge differences and had superb games yesterday were Reffell and Wells.
It might not have shown on TV but watching at Welford Road Wells was immense in the line out, rucks and mauls and his tackling was outstanding.
As for the crowd, as I’ve said it’s the mindset of rugby fans: City would still get sell outs on a Sunday afternoon.
Hopefully the women’s team will build a good core support by playing at 2 or 3pm at the weekend.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

baz1664 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:08 am Tommy Reffell also slots into that group of players, absolute monster at the breakdown and picking up some important try’s. Could argue he is the inform 7 in the world currently.
Interesting to hear McKellar's comments during the match about Tommy and comparing him to Pocock :smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fentiger wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:23 am
baz1664 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:08 am Tommy Reffell also slots into that group of players, absolute monster at the breakdown and picking up some important try’s. Could argue he is the inform 7 in the world currently.
Interesting to hear McKellar's comments during the match about Tommy and comparing him to Pocock :smt023
He’s not there yet,but certainly on his way!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

First back rower since Back to get a hattrick - well done Reffell.

As for supporters not wanting to turn out at 3 on a Sunday. Really!?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I noticed a few more blasts of smoke on the water during breaks in play to gee the crowd up. Were there any objections?
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

ourla wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:20 am First back rower since Back to get a hattrick - well done Reffell.

As for supporters not wanting to turn out at 3 on a Sunday. Really!?
What were the attendance figures for yesterday out of interest?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

About 10000 going on what I could see on the TV coverage if that :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity