Tigers v Gloucester (A) - Premiership - Saturday 25th November 2023 - KO: 14:30

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Gloucester (A) - Premiership - Saturday 25th November 2023 - KO: 14:30

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:43 pm Whilst I endorse the need to protect the players thought the Chessum yellow card was a joke. No danger whatsoever to the Gloucester player and don’t know where this will all end.
If the officials are going to be consistent we now should expect yellow cards for it every week.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Gloucester (A) - Premiership - Saturday 25th November 2023 - KO: 14:30

Post by ourla »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:43 pm Whilst I endorse the need to protect the players thought the Chessum yellow card was a joke. No danger whatsoever to the Gloucester player and don’t know where this will all end.
I thought it was a dumb thing to do and he was lucky he didn't make eye contact.

And it won't end. Players will always do dumb things occasionally.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It's worth bearing in mind if Gloucester's lad (young, so not having a go at him) had a better day off the kicking tee we might have been struggling and may have put us under more pressure. I don't feel we have confidence running through our veins right now.

Hopefully that confidence will build, a few things are slotting into place - Kata has mentioned being one of them.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

ourla wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:32 pm It's worth bearing in mind if Gloucester's lad (young, so not having a go at him) had a better day off the kicking tee we might have been struggling and may have put us under more pressure. I don't feel we have confidence running through our veins right now.

Hopefully that confidence will build, a few things are slotting into place - Kata has mentioned being one of them.
I agree. We just need to get our centres back in form and in the right combinations......to me Kata is better off the bench. I think Kelly just needs some more game time and confidence to get his proper A game back.
Soggypitch
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Handré's post-match comments on TNT were fascinating... he suggested the players are aware that the attacking game hasn't got going yet, and that DMK is encouraging them to be more expansive, but its taking the players a while to move on from the Borthwick/WW style. Particularly if it works, as it did at Kingsholm.

I imagine none of that is helped by Dickens' unfortunate absence.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:32 pm It's worth bearing in mind if Gloucester's lad (young, so not having a go at him) had a better day off the kicking tee we might have been struggling and may have put us under more pressure. I don't feel we have confidence running through our veins right now.

Your right we are lacking confidence and had their 10 converted more penalties it would have put us under pressure. For me our problems are that we keep giving away far to may stupid penalties allowing teams to pressure us on the scoreboard and we are struggling and poor in converting attacking opportunities when in the red zone. Our forwards were to easily repelled from close range by Gloucester and we must take every opportunity to come back with points. Continuing to squander them is at the root of our lack of confidence
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’m not sure it’s lack of confidence more lack of familiarity with game play, and players coming back from different styles.
It will come and when it clicks we should be seeing more tries like OHC 2nd one.

Reference the line outs all teams are getting better at defending the rolling maul, on the one that worked the power from Cole and Montoya was there to see and Martins return will make a difference here
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Yeah, agree gramps.

I really do hope we regain some continuity of coaches/squad.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:59 am
If the officials are going to be consistent we now should expect yellow cards for it every week.
Officials are not consistant though!

It was a pure accident with absolutely no malace, danger, nor force. The moment Chessum realised where his had was, he moved it. Nothing to see, not even a penalty. Anything else is just rediculous, IMHO.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Pellsey wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:30 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:59 am
Officials are not consistant though!

It was a pure accident with absolutely no malace, danger, nor force. The moment Chessum realised where his had was, he moved it. Nothing to see, not even a penalty. Anything else is just rediculous, IMHO.
Going to disagree with you. He is upright and has his arm around the Gloucester players neck initially, penalty on its own, then his arm and hand slide up accidentally, unless he thought the Gloucester player was a foot taller he must have realised where his hand was. Yellow card was the right call imo and they will look at it to make sure there is no eye contact.
Had it been the other way round fans on here would have been yelling for a card
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

It’s official the game has gone soft. Thankfully we don’t have players rolling around on the floor yet.
A2O
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

He diid realise where his hand was! That is why he moved it! Maybe it looked worse in slow motion.

But if we don't want the game to become silly soft, such things (without any malice or danger), especially if the player realises and takes action immediately, should not be penalised. In my humble opinion, of course.

This happened to me a lot when I played, probably every game, and it never crossed my mind that this would or should be penalised, nor did I think it dangerous. Obviously contact, especially with force to the eye, is seriously dangerous and should be stamped out (apologies bad pun), but there is a huge difference if this is essentially just accidentally touching the face with a straight hand.

I personally would not be asking for a penalty if it were the other way around, let alone a card. The game is getting too soft IMHO.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:05 pm It’s official the game has gone soft. Thankfully we don’t have players rolling around on the floor yet.
Apart from Nic White?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I agree that the game has gone soft but under the current laws they were the correct decisions.

Accidental isn’t really an excuse imo. Barton didn’t mean to clash heads with Pollard, it was an accident but he drew blood and as things stand it was a yellow.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Pellsey wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:23 pm
ay2oh wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:05 pm It’s official the game has gone soft. Thankfully we don’t have players rolling around on the floor yet.
Apart from Nic White?
He should have been banned for that piece of play acting