Atmosphere during games

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Atmosphere during games

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:59 am Do you ever wish you hadn’t started something 😂

The original post was all about a comment that the energy can drop during lulls in the game and can/should anything be done to keep that energy maintained in the crowd. I don’t think the fact that there are drops in energy can be disputed.

We have a huge number of traditionalists on this forum who balk at the idea of anything new and would be more than happy if the game moved back to the pre professional era, in terms of the laws, style of play officiating etc.
The issue comes around that eventually these traditionalists will stop attending due to age or infirmities, and who is going to fill those seats/terrace spots
There is a good chance the game will cease to be fully professional anyway, at least at "Club" level, if it doesn't sort its finances out.
As for atmosphere get the crowd going pre match, the game itself should maintain that level for me personally.
My personal view on professional rugby is I am still not convinced what you see at "3pm" on a Saturday is, allowing for the money invested, that much better than what we saw previously.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:40 am
ourla wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:16 am I think the point would/should be to enhance the atmosphere rather than to (try to) create it.

There are injuries and there are breathers/strapping. It's usually pretty obvious which is which.
Totally agree, which leads on to this point ...

There has to be *someone* with both the awareness of the game situation & the musical creativity to pick the right bits of music at the right time. That seems hard to me, and we're looking to control or even reduce match day costs.
It's a bit chicken and egg though isn't it.

If you cut a lot of corners in regard of your "match day experience" and therefore it's not much of an experience then where do you end up.

That said, of course, you can't polish a turd. Doesn't matter how much effort you put into hosting a tiddlywinks match, it's still just a tiddlywinks match.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:45 am
tigerburnie wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:27 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:50 am

So you don’t expect to be entertained for however much it is you pay for your ticket
If the game is not the entertainment you are looking for, you are probably watching the wrong sport.
That isn’t what you said

I agree with Tigerbeat that different people look to enhance their enjoyment in different ways but to say as a spectator all,you’re concerned about is winning seems some what short sighted.
Then again it comes from a man who seems to be unable to hold down regular employment for some reason
I will take a 0-3 win tomorrow over a 100-99 loss any day of the year, I enjoy an open running game as much as anyone, but appreciate a dog fight too. Having played in the pack in all positions except hooker, I enjoy the technicalities of a forward dominated game, and when the opportunity arises, then the ball presented to the backs to finish off the move is a thing to behold. Do I prefer to see a running backs try or a rolling maul or push over try by the pack, probably the last one.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:59 am Do you ever wish you hadn’t started something 😂

The original post was all about a comment that the energy can drop during lulls in the game and can/should anything be done to keep that energy maintained in the crowd. I don’t think the fact that there are drops in energy can be disputed.

We have a huge number of traditionalists on this forum who balk at the idea of anything new and would be more than happy if the game moved back to the pre professional era, in terms of the laws, style of play officiating etc.
The issue comes around that eventually these traditionalists will stop attending due to age or infirmities, and who is going to fill those seats/terrace spots
Your last 2 sentences discribe me perfectly. I'm old, I would baulk at loud music/tannoy blasts, Im Ok with a bit of Sweet Caroline, but hate the Saints Walking In.

When we were over at Clermont, they played Take Me Home, which we tried to adopt, we should try again, it's inoffensive and gentle, oldies in the Crumbie will know the original from John Denver and soon adopt to this latest Take me Home to Welford Road. (don't know how Matteo Woods fits though) :smt052

Good luck to all those youngsters queueing to take my place, I hope they get to enjoy their style of an event, but sadly I probably wont be there.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Music before and after a game ok. Half-time entertainment ok, I am not sure what music during the match brings to the game unless it is spontaneously from the supporters, if we want to entertain new young audiences we could try running with the ball instead of kicking possession away or is that too radical.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:47 pm Music before and after a game ok. Half-time entertainment ok, I am not sure what music during the match brings to the game unless it is spontaneously from the supporters, if we want to entertain new young audiences we could try running with the ball instead of kicking possession away or is that too radical.
I don’t know where is the nearest rugby league team.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

LE18 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:07 pm

Your last 2 sentences discribe me perfectly. I'm old, I would baulk at loud music/tannoy blasts, Im Ok with a bit of Sweet Caroline, but hate the Saints Walking In.

When we were over at Clermont, they played Take Me Home, which we tried to adopt, we should try again, it's inoffensive and gentle, oldies in the Crumbie will know the original from John Denver and soon adopt to this latest Take me Home to Welford Road. (don't know how Matteo Woods fits though) :smt052

Good luck to all those youngsters queueing to take my place, I hope they get to enjoy their style of an event, but sadly I probably wont be there.
the singing at the Clermont game United a large group of fans in hostile territory ! I was there and it was amazing and a privilege to be part of ! Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it ! It’s a very different experience to sitting in the crumbie shouting “Tigers” to an irregular beat against a vocally orchestrated partisan opposition. …Tigers fans took over the Clermont stadium with their voice and performance that day ! Sadly we came home and it was cancelled
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

I love you, TIGERS
And if it's quite all right
I need you, TIGERS
To warm these lonely nights
I love you, TIGERS
Trust in me when I say
I LOVE YOU TIGERS
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

It’s a start ?
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

They play it . We sing it. We only need to remember one word.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:56 pm Look at The Hundred in cricket: good attendances in the first season but now the big crowds are missing!
Amazing what happens when you stop giving loads of free tickets away! Also see: "The Hundred(TM) has been great for the women's game!" No, the complete coincidence because of covid forcing you to play the games as double-headers in the first season was good for the women's game

Back on topic though, whatever happened to the Crumbly Stand "rumbling" their feet on the wooden floor before the players came out - made a hell of a noise!

Did ST holders there get a memo to stop doing it because the players were fed up of picking woodworm out of their hair as they ran onto the pitch or something? One season it just seemed to... stop?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

KiwiTig wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:04 pm

the singing at the Clermont game United a large group of fans in hostile territory ! I was there and it was amazing and a privilege to be part of ! Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it ! It’s a very different experience to sitting in the crumbie shouting “Tigers” to an irregular beat against a vocally orchestrated partisan opposition. …Tigers fans took over the Clermont stadium with their voice and performance that day ! Sadly we came home and it was cancelled
I think being at Clermont and singing that afternoon was probably one of the highlights of my supporting days, the win being another.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Apparently the noise of the crumbie crowd inside the changing rooms is a major factor why the stand is still there as it inspires so much …can anyone else confirm this ?
Last edited by KiwiTig on Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

LE18 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:09 pm
KiwiTig wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:04 pm

Great to hear that ..I would love to know how many people on this forum actually go home and away …seeing is believing

I think being at Clermont and singing that afternoon was probably one of the highlights of my supporting days, the win being another.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

KiwiTig wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:15 pm Apparently the noise of the crumbie crowd inside the changing rooms is a major factor why the stand is still there as it inspires so much …can anyone else confirm this ?
That and because it hasn’t caught fire yet