Atmosphere during games

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Atmosphere during games

Post by ourla »

Like a lot of things, there is a right way to do this and a wrong way.

You don't want it to be excessively loud. You don't want it be too frequent.

But there are times when a gee up or an icebreaker would be good. And then let it be.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Rugbygramps I mentioned Wasps and Irish because they were two clubs that used the tannoy a lot. You could add Sale and Saracens to the list. Personally I find that rugby is usually exciting and the crowd can generate the noise. Quins, Saints and all Welsh teams sing, at Tigers we are not very good at that but we do have our moments and Gloucester certainly.make themselves heard. In commentary last week Austin advocated music being played during a lul in play when an.injured player (fortunately not serious) was receiving attention, I think that disrespectful and without knowing the extent of injury could be insensitive
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:35 pm Rugbygramps I mentioned Wasps and Irish because they were two clubs that used the tannoy a lot. You could add Sale and Saracens to the list. Personally I find that rugby is usually exciting and the crowd can generate the noise. Quins, Saints and all Welsh teams sing, at Tigers we are not very good at that but we do have our moments and Gloucester certainly.make themselves heard. In commentary last week Austin advocated music being played during a lul in play when an.injured player (fortunately not serious) was receiving attention, I think that disrespectful and without knowing the extent of injury could be insensitive
Very good point. Playing, "When the Saints go marching in" when someone is lying on the field with a ruptured ACL for instance.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:01 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:35 pm Rugbygramps I mentioned Wasps and Irish because they were two clubs that used the tannoy a lot. You could add Sale and Saracens to the list. Personally I find that rugby is usually exciting and the crowd can generate the noise. Quins, Saints and all Welsh teams sing, at Tigers we are not very good at that but we do have our moments and Gloucester certainly.make themselves heard. In commentary last week Austin advocated music being played during a lul in play when an.injured player (fortunately not serious) was receiving attention, I think that disrespectful and without knowing the extent of injury could be insensitive
Very good point. Playing, "When the Saints go marching in" when someone is lying on the field with a ruptured ACL for instance.
"Get up, Stand up" by Bob Marley would be worse..

I actually quite liked what the organisers did at the World Cup in terms of little sound bites such as Freddie Mercury etc, becaue it got he crowd involved without being IMHO OTT.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

They do little bits in the NFL when it comes to third downs etc. Some NFL crowds don't need whipping up, however.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

It would be wrong to go from famine to feast and goes without saying respect for injured players which is exceptional in rugby.

I’ve always liked that instrumental bit from Loose yourself, inoffensive and gets the juices flowing
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think the point would/should be to enhance the atmosphere rather than to (try to) create it.

There are injuries and there are breathers/strapping. It's usually pretty obvious which is which.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

As I use for my signature, from dear old Cockers, if you want entertainment, go to the theatre, rugby players are here to win.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:32 am As I use for my signature, from dear old Cockers, if you want entertainment, go to the theatre, rugby players are here to win.
So you don’t expect to be entertained for however much it is you pay for your ticket
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

There are various opinions of what is entertainment.........the main event is the match itself......some fans enjoy a good old school battle with a low score whilst others want to see free flowing rugby with plenty of tries and winning,
The main priority for all clubs is to get wins and the entertainment factor is the second priority.
Fans can create the atmosphere and I personally have no issue with interludes of music during extended breaks in matches.
Not everyone can be satisfied with what is offered.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:50 am
tigerburnie wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:32 am As I use for my signature, from dear old Cockers, if you want entertainment, go to the theatre, rugby players are here to win.
So you don’t expect to be entertained for however much it is you pay for your ticket
If the game is not the entertainment you are looking for, you are probably watching the wrong sport.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

ourla wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:16 am I think the point would/should be to enhance the atmosphere rather than to (try to) create it.

There are injuries and there are breathers/strapping. It's usually pretty obvious which is which.
Totally agree, which leads on to this point ...

There has to be *someone* with both the awareness of the game situation & the musical creativity to pick the right bits of music at the right time. That seems hard to me, and we're looking to control or even reduce match day costs.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:27 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:50 am
If the game is not the entertainment you are looking for, you are probably watching the wrong sport.
That isn’t what you said

I agree with Tigerbeat that different people look to enhance their enjoyment in different ways but to say as a spectator all,you’re concerned about is winning seems some what short sighted.
Then again it comes from a man who seems to be unable to hold down regular employment for some reason
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

I like it as it is at Welford Road. Other grounds appear to need to force an atmosphere. Maybe it’s because of disparities in crowd sizes.

However I recognise that most of the people around me in the Crumbie have probably put their best years behind them (like me) so if it needs more razzmatazz to keep crowds of 20k+ then I can live with that.

Just not that da*n trumpet fanfare, I beg you.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Do you ever wish you hadn’t started something 😂

The original post was all about a comment that the energy can drop during lulls in the game and can/should anything be done to keep that energy maintained in the crowd. I don’t think the fact that there are drops in energy can be disputed.

We have a huge number of traditionalists on this forum who balk at the idea of anything new and would be more than happy if the game moved back to the pre professional era, in terms of the laws, style of play officiating etc.
The issue comes around that eventually these traditionalists will stop attending due to age or infirmities, and who is going to fill those seats/terrace spots