Atmosphere during games

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Atmosphere during games

Post by Rugbygramps »

Healey made the point during commentary yesterday that during breaks in play, for injuries etc the atmosphere in the ground and as a result the energy, noticeably dropped, which doesn’t help the team.
His suggestion was that during such breaks the club should try something to help maintain the the atmosphere through music or similar, which it was noticeable that they did at Quins.

Nick Mullins countered saying that the old wrinkleys wouldn’t be happy, but Healey countered with if you want to attract newer younger spectators things need to change.

What are posters opinions, would you be happy for music to be played, for example, during breaks in play to maintain the energy, or shouldn’t it be considered under any circumstances
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Atmosphere during games

Post by ay2oh »

My wife and I commented that due to the stop start nature of the game due to injuries, TMO, scrum re- sets etc it takes the excitement away.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:44 am My wife and I commented that due to the stop start nature of the game due to injuries, TMO, scrum re- sets etc it takes the excitement away.
It was certainly noticeable on tv how quiet it was during such breaks, compared to how loud it can be
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

People won't like it, and TBH I'm not overly keen, but even the great noise at welford road has always only ever been sporadic. A bit of music or some "olays" or such like could be good.

I don't often say this but Healy is right, clubs need to attract young fans to keep the game going, the wrinklys won't like it, but harsh as it sounds, they're not the future.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Very disrespectful
A2O
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I think it’s a great idea and one part of the evolution of the game that it needs to make to be more entertaining and engaging with its audience.
For example, a loud bass drum sound or a pulse as we wait for the scrum would allow the crowd to interact and build suspense and anticipation
Playing “knock on wood” every time there’s a knock on …just catchy sound bites that would allow the crowd to join in with in the same way we already jeer our opponents as they attempt to catch a high ball
I really like the idea
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:31 am Very disrespectful
Sorry if you feel that way. But its just my opinion, you're more than entitled to disagree. At 47 I've seen enough to know that the kids are future. We need to get them watching in the stands regularly. If that means a few gimmicks and putting a few noses out of joint, then so be it.

Also, I I yo used the term wrinkleys, as that's what Nick Mullins was quoted as saying.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I was very pleased to hear the return of welcome to the jungle and then Lose Yourself before the players took to the field albeit condensed timewise but it did what it always has building up the pre match tension. Also we had the introduction of a brief sample of smoke on the water ending with a tigers roar post each Tigers try. So I feel that this will help with the atmosphere. As for the scrum resets and other timewasting on the pitch that is up to the governing bodies to sort out.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

ads wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:56 am
Sorry if you feel that way. But its just my opinion, you're more than entitled to disagree. At 47 I've seen enough to know that the kids are future. We need to get them watching in the stands regularly. If that means a few gimmicks and putting a few noses out of joint, then so be it.

Also, I I yo used the term wrinkleys, as that's what Nick Mullins was quoted as saying.
I'm pretty sure he was being ironic ads!

I'm not sure about lots of extra music.......but if it was introduced as an experiment, I would approach with an open mind (despite being a near wrinklie at 60 :smt001 ).

But Sapajo is right with regard to the scrum resets, the ref needs to play on much more often and give more free kicks not penalties unless they are 100% sure of the offender. And the winner of the free kick can't just opt for another scrum! Also I think the clock should be stopped the moment a scrum is reset and not started again until the ball is put in the next time.

Back to music, I really miss The Black Eyed Peas and REM after the final whistle, please bring them back!!!
Soggypitch
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Mullins was being ironic, his quote was something like “You’ll have the Wrinkleys throwing their Whiskey, or whatever they are drinking, at the telly”
Imo we are getting a little off topic concentrating on scrum resets, though some thing definitely needs doing, as there are plenty of other breaks where the energy drops.
As a wrinkley in his 62nd year I personally wouldn’t mind some light dimming and music to build excitement at certain times
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

They do this at HQ and it's very annoying. Can't hear yourself think never mind what your neighbour is saying. It is a nonsense to try to keep tension up for 80 minutes; I actually don't think it's possible or desirable. Surely part of any game experience is the ebb and flow and it is up to us in the crowd to stir ourselves to support the team? Finally, let me say that silence can be as full of tension/excitement as any noise
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not so much the noise more the energy that a home team can generate from the crowd , and can it affect performance if the crowd energy drops.

Old Hob you make some valid points. However your user name and some of you rhetoric do back up Healeys point especially if the game is looking to grow its fan base
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Soggypitch wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 am
ads wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:56 am

I'm pretty sure he was being ironic ads!

I'm not sure about lots of extra music.......but if it was introduced as an experiment, I would approach with an open mind (despite being a near wrinklie at 60 :smt001 ).

But Sapajo is right with regard to the scrum resets, the ref needs to play on much more often and give more free kicks not penalties unless they are 100% sure of the offender. And the winner of the free kick can't just opt for another scrum! Also I think the clock should be stopped the moment a scrum is reset and not started again until the ball is put in the next time.

Back to music, I really miss The Black Eyed Peas and REM after the final whistle, please bring them back!!!
Agreed it is time to also bring back the Black Eyed Peas and REM after the final whistle :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm not a fan of music during matches, I find it quite irritating. Nevertheless, I would be happy for it to be done if it did boost attendances and revenues - however, I'm not at all convinced that it will make any difference. Plenty of other clubs play loads of music, and still never sell out their tiny stadiums.

It's very easy for wrinklies (like Healey) to say "music will bring the kids in" but I suspect many of them have no actual clue as to what will work. There's a reason they're commentators and not marketing gurus.

I was reading something about Courtney Lawes claiming that the key to rugby union being more popular is to have a North v South match once a year. Right, ok Courtney.

Not sure why we are entertaining marketing ideas from players and has-been players. Get some real marketing professionals in and listen to them instead.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We could have canned laughter for when the opposition drop the ball or their kicker misses a conversion..............................yes I am being sarcastic.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.