Other matches - 17-19th November 2023

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Other matches - 17-19th November 2023

Post by Tigers86asw »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:52 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:50 pm Ugo Monye racially abused by Exeter supporters as he was leaving the ground today
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67470036
This is appalling, bbc don’t go into details but other sites do. As bad as it gets if proven.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Report I read gave quotes from Monye himself. A man ran through the crowd directly towards him repeatedly shouting the N word directed straight at Ugo.

TBF it not state which team this individual supported, if any.
Think I’m right in saying that some soccer teams have been heavily penalised for similar incidents
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:13 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:52 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:50 pm Ugo Monye racially abused by Exeter supporters as he was leaving the ground today
This is appalling, bbc don’t go into details but other sites do. As bad as it gets if proven.
Is wailing racially abuse, if so there were approx 8 Chief fans doing it at the Ladies game yesterday, 1 wearing some sort of hood with horns and banging his drum.?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:09 pm
Is wailing racially abuse, if so there were approx 8 Chief fans doing it at the Ladies game yesterday, 1 wearing some sort of hood with horns and banging his drum.?
If this person turns out to be from Exeter (could be from Gloucester, not known at present) then it certainly does not paint a great picture with the crowd refusal to give up the stereotypes and 'tomahawk chop'. That may be nowhere near the reality of the situation at all but the insensitivity of that coupled with such a heinous case of racism would not paint the club in a great light.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just seen the try David Williams scored for Nottingham at the weekend. Not sure who put the kick through, May have been Woodward but that and the finish rivals Tyrone Green for Quins the other week
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Police investigating Ugo Monye abuse
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

GB72 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:14 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:09 pm

If this person turns out to be from Exeter (could be from Gloucester, not known at present) then it certainly does not paint a great picture with the crowd refusal to give up the stereotypes and 'tomahawk chop'. That may be nowhere near the reality of the situation at all but the insensitivity of that coupled with such a heinous case of racism would not paint the club in a great light.
Spot on. I think Monye was most aggrieved by the fact no one objected to it when it happened. It’s disgraceful.
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

I can understand nobody challenging the alleged racist. In these days when anyone could be carrying a knife and be prepared to use it, who would want to risk challenging someone who is obviously intent on creating hatred and discord.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

PJM wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:25 pm I can understand nobody challenging the alleged racist. In these days when anyone could be carrying a knife and be prepared to use it, who would want to risk challenging someone who is obviously intent on creating hatred and discord.
Totally this, also could have happened that quickly no one reacted.

Doesn’t excuse the incident though
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:49 am
PJM wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:25 pm I can understand nobody challenging the alleged racist. In these days when anyone could be carrying a knife and be prepared to use it, who would want to risk challenging someone who is obviously intent on creating hatred and discord.
Totally this, also could have happened that quickly no one reacted.

Doesn’t excuse the incident though
I'm not so sure, hundreds or thousands of people there and they all instantly thought "that's not on, but what if he has a knife?"

I don't buy it. To be honest, I reckon if the guy had been wielding a knife, it would have been much more likely that a group of rugby fans would have tackled him.

I'm ashamed that none of those rugby fans around the incident spoke up. It's pretty damning evidence that, for all the banging on about rugby values, the rugby community is no different from the rest of society.

We all look down our noses at the racism in football, particularly in Spain and Eastern Europe, and we all say "thank god we're more civilised in our country" and "we don't have those problems in our sport". Well, guess what, we are not and we do.

We challenge people who talk when the kicker is eyeing up the posts, we constantly challenge whoever the ref is each weekend, we challenge the catering, we challenge players and coaches but... racism? Nah, not worth the risk mate.

Currently, based on the evidence, that is what "rugby values" means.

Not good enough. Not even close to good enough.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

You make good points and without knowing the exact circumstances it is difficult to comment. All we know it was outside the ground and I would imagine some time after the final whistle
Society has ingrained in us a don’t challenge attitude for fear of the unknown.
IMO I think a crowd would have been much more likely to react to someone with a knife as opposed to this incident
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

We can't blame society for how we act, we are society.

We can make excuses or we can make changes.
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

As well as maybe carrying a knife and being a racist he was also likely drunk.

I have a very dear friend who is Sri Lankan by birth. If that sort of abuse was directed at him while I was with him it would be a real test of restraint not to react in some way. Disgusting and despicable behaviour by the culprit!
Give blood, play rugby!!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Dreadful behaviour and easy to make comments on a forum without knowing how each individual would act in the moment, whether he was drunk, carrying a knife, extremely doubtful, or a racist.

I think those of us who were born and bred in Leicester and of a certain age, I’m 61 and was born in a house overlooking Spinney Hill park, take greater exception to this as we were brought up with friends acquaintances of all different races and cultures.
One of my best friends at primary school was of African heritage and went through grammar school with many Asian friends.

This is by no means an excuse, I have found travelling the length and breadth of the country that this understanding is not shared in all areas
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I've witnessed as much racism in Leicester as anywhere else in the country.

We can't just keep pretending that it isn't our problem because we think we're better than that in rugby union or Leicester or however else we try to distance ourselves.

Anything less than "this isn't good enough" simply isn't good enough.