Tigers v Saints (H) - Premiership - Saturday 18th November 2023 - KO: 15:05

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Lutontiger

Re: Tigers v Saints (H) - Premiership - Saturday 18th November 2023 - KO: 15:05

Post by Lutontiger »

Just SO relieved we won, and without any serious injuries. The team did very well against powerful opposition and confounded some people’s expectations, thankfully. Onwards and upwards!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:36 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:12 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:02 pm

TNT could offer ref mic as a red button option, BBC with their live football used to offer 5Live commentary that way
I've been asking fot this for years! Just watch it like you were there......but with sir's voice. No commentary. No pundits.

Ironic, isn't it, that pundit means wise man?
its having 2 analysts with the lead, they both need to add their POV so its almost constant, it doesn't overly bother me though
Me and the old man used to watch games on telly together because he was too frail to go to WR.. We had each other for conversation. We didn't want the jabber of the wise men. We were wise enough!

Wise as newts on occasions. I miss those times. The current wittering I find intolerable. The Quins v Sarries game was even worse.

Benaud once said if ypu can add something to a scene then say something if not wind your neck in.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Main thing was the win - job done and congratulations to the team. Reffell was MoM for me and made the difference with some turnovers at crucial moments. Pack as a whole did well and beat them up - especially in the scrum.

Considering how much we denominated the first half and in the scrum on another day we would’ve got TBP. But considering where this team is presently some things just didn’t click.
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:04 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:19 pm Remy time.

Main worry (For me) is the lack of attacking ability in the backs. It's all a bit one two bump! Forwards look good, capable and balanced.

On this afternoon's commentary, was it not a bit "Saints this Saints that Saints the other." There was a team in green on the pitch, wasn't there? Who won?

The number of times the Mrs said "Belt up Austin!" And it wasn't road safety advice
Youngs was shocking today, inaccurate passing, clueless decision making and just a lack of ability to get the backs moving. We have a world class fly half and a scrum half who has is going down hill rapidly.
I agree and Porter was even worse. If he wasn’t butchering overlaps he was running into contact and turning over the ball or making the wrong decision in defence.

A game to forget from him.

Some standout players for me were chessum, and the back row in particular looked a lot better.

A good game for Clare who rarely gets a mention but a few throws aside, had a solid game.

Pollard is a genuine worldly of a fly half, shows it every week, rarely below an 8/10 performer.

Overall delighted with the win, I’d have taken 1pt win so to deny them the BP even better.

We need to kick on from here
Louis

Post by Louis »

On a day that's been...challenging, I'm going to say I am very happy with a local derby win.

Re: commentary, I heard Austin err, Ben correct him, and Austin acknowledge it! I must have been high. That or some of us have matured...

Nah.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Much improved on last week. We battered them at the breakdown and the scrum. Great to see. Lineout was better but needs more work.

The attack showed glimpses of improvement but there needs to be more. Porter was really poor at 13 unfortunately which didn't help.

Most importantly we dominated the game, won and sent Saints home with nothing.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Wonder whether we could see a revert to Kelly/Scott in midfield and Kata to the wing for the next game?

Backline of:

Youngs, Pollard, OHC, Kelly, Scott, Kata, Steward

It could have a nice balance and if Kata came off the wing looking for work like Nadolo used to then it could add something. Then with Shillcock on the bench could see one of Kelly, Scott, Kata replaced in the 2nd half and Steward to wing and Shillcock to 15 for a different approach?

I could be wrong but IMO would be worth a look vs Gloucester.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:31 pm Wonder whether we could see a revert to Kelly/Scott in midfield and Kata to the wing for the next game?

Backline of:

It could have a nice balance and if Kata came off the wing looking for work like Nadolo used to then it could add something. Then with Shillcock on the bench could see one of Kelly, Scott, Kata replaced in the 2nd half and Steward to wing and Shillcock to 15 for a different approach?

Don't disagree, but would like to see JVP back and firing at his best. I'm really puzzled by Porter; trying too hard or not getting the memo? I can't decide.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:31 pm Wonder whether we could see a revert to Kelly/Scott in midfield and Kata to the wing for the next game?

Backline of:

Glaws have got a lot of pace in the backline and some creative players at 10/12/15. Moving Kata to the bench and using him as an impact option might be the best bet. If he comes out of the line looking for a big hit then Glaws will punish us, thankfully Kata doesn't over read as much as Manu used to but he did a couple of times today.

I thought the back three looked decent today, I'd like to see them play again to try and build some fluency in that unit. Going back to the Kelly/Scott centre combo makes sense as well whilst we are working on our attack. Glaws can tire in games and our pack should be able to exert plenty of pressure on theirs to help with that.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:57 pm

Backline of:

Don't disagree, but would like to see JVP back and firing at his best. I'm really puzzled by Porter; trying too hard or not getting the memo? I can't decide.
We won't be seeing JVP this side of Christmas.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Yeh pretty much agree re JVP-would suggest mid Jan
Wellscity
Tiger Cub

Post by Wellscity »

That's more Tigerish.
Some dog in the fight that's been absent .
Pluses - Controlled the scrum, Lineout was more effective .Game control more effective , Penalty count down.
Minuses - Defence a bit creaky at time. Attack could be better ( still time to perfect ) , the odd player still a little off form

All in all a good day at the office = Onwards and upwards

Come on the Womens team.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

IMO posters are being overly quick to drop Bassett who really has done nothing wrong and shows when he gets the ball how physical he can be.

Fitness permitting, and someone having a word with Lenny about his pass and silly little kick through I would like to see against Gloucester, Youngs, Pollard, OHC, Kelly, Scott, Bassett, Steward, with Whitely Shilcock and Kata on the bench
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:31 am IMO posters are being overly quick to drop Bassett who really has done nothing wrong and shows when he gets the ball how physical he can be.

Fitness permitting, and someone having a word with Lenny about his pass and silly little kick through I would like to see against Gloucester, Youngs, Pollard, OHC, Kelly, Scott, Bassett, Steward, with Whitely Shilcock and Kata on the bench
Nothing against Bassett and agree he’s been consistently going about his business. Just think when players come back for he’ll be struggling for the game time. Having Kata on the wing gives a power option from the off, then having Bassett on the bench to bring on for him around the 60min mark as we seem to be doing now seems a smart move.

I see what others are saying re Kata and defence so wouldn’t be adverse to swapping Bassett and Kata round (ie Bassett at 14 and Kata 23). Just think we have to use the width and get the ball to players in space - look what kata did in space vs Quins compared to the tight carries vs Saints. Yes he still made a bit of ground and tied in defenders but imo his best impact is in the wide channels against outside shoulders. He can use his pace power and looking for an offload to better use there imo.

Why for me Manu was never a 12 and always looked better at 13 when he had space to run in/at. Same with Ollie Lawrence at Bath.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Have to consider the surface next week re Pollard.
To win is not as important as playing with style!