Zero Hours Contracts

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

manxleigh

Zero Hours Contracts

Post by manxleigh »

There are a few jobs being posted by the club (ever hopeful they will want someone to run all their education and community work).

What concerns me is the prevalence of zero hours contracts.

Given the cost of living crisis and economic state of the country, I would really hope these would be be phased out. They have received such bad press through the likes of Amazon etc. Surely, given the fact the club knows how many home fixtures there will be etc, they can guarantee hours?
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Zero Hours Contracts

Post by GB72 »

manxleigh wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:25 am There are a few jobs being posted by the club (ever hopeful they will want someone to run all their education and community work).

What concerns me is the prevalence of zero hours contracts.

Given the cost of living crisis and economic state of the country, I would really hope these would be be phased out. They have received such bad press through the likes of Amazon etc. Surely, given the fact the club knows how many home fixtures there will be etc, they can guarantee hours?
I think what they have to have is enough people to cover all of the shifts on all of the positions and so you need more people available than there are actual positions to ensure full staffing.
manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

100% understand that.

Just don't think they should be offering zero hours, they should be guaranteeing a certain number.
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

manxleigh wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:40 am 100% understand that.

Just don't think they should be offering zero hours, they should be guaranteeing a certain number.
Why, with many of the positions that require the use of zero hours contracts, the availability issue goes both ways in that there are often people who are also not available and may prove never to be available for the required shifts.

Zero Hours contracts do have very bad press as they are used incorrectly but there are simply some forms of employment when this is the only type of contract that works. In the old days you would have used an employment agency who would have a list of people with, for example, bar experience who they would call in for each job. Under that the staff earned less as the agency took a cut, the employer would also pay a fee to the agency and to most parties lost out. Zero hours contracts simply allow the club to maintain a list of people who may be interested in available shifts with no commitment on either side
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

GB72 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:49 am
manxleigh wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:40 am 100% understand that.

Why, with many of the positions that require the use of zero hours contracts, the availability issue goes both ways in that there are often people who are also not available and may prove never to be available for the required shifts.

Zero Hours contracts do have very bad press as they are used incorrectly but there are simply some forms of employment when this is the only type of contract that works. In the old days you would have used an employment agency who would have a list of people with, for example, bar experience who they would call in for each job. Under that the staff earned less as the agency took a cut, the employer would also pay a fee to the agency and to most parties lost out. Zero hours contracts simply allow the club to maintain a list of people who may be interested in available shifts with no commitment on either side
Exactly right - they are an excellent tool for both sides when not abused - hospitality does not survive without them unless we all want to pay a lot more....
Less is more....
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Modern slavery, the lowest way to pay people, might suit students topping up their grants, but a poor way to treat people, leaves them dis owned, then folk complain about poor service from employees who are treated badly and don't feel any connection to the job.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Do we really expect Tigers to put bar staff on permanent contracts for 15 or so Saturday afternoons.

Not sure it would be a practical option.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Some people are not able to work regular hours for various reasons and if the employer/employee agree to work to suit both parties then I don’t see a problem. I know a number of semi retired people who think this arrangement is great.
A2O
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

For the hours that are being offered in the roles, unless are a significant numbers of hours every week, the Zero hours contract is quite appropriate for casual staff.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Rugby takes place on Friday nights or at a possible 4 or 5 times over Saturday and Sunday it would be impossible for Tigers to give permanent contracts in advance for matchday staff.
My grandaughter hoping to be a professional footballer has three (at least) zero hours contracts with various jobs enabling her to make training and matches as required whilst still earming a small wage.
A Labour Government introduced zero hours contracts to increase rights for casual employees, these contracts work well for a lot of people and businesses it would be a mistake to end them.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Not everyone wants guaranteed hours. It works both ways and if the employer has to offer a certain number of hours every week, the employee has to be available for that number of hours too. Doesn't work for most students, for a start.

Zero hour contracts work very well for many people. If you want guaranteed hours as a cleaner, receptionist or bar person there are plenty of jobs out there that will suit. Some people would rather have flexibility.

How would it even be possible to offer guaranteed minimum hours contracts when some weeks there will be no work to do? What would the Casual Ticketing Staff or Matchday Staff do all summer if they were guaranteed 20 hours a week? :smt017

Just because the Daily Mail said something is "bad", it doesn't mean it actually is...

Zero hour contracts = modern slavery? Seriously? To be honest that claim is quite offensive and insensitive to people who have been victims of actual slavery, modern or otherwise.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:11 pm Some people are not able to work regular hours for various reasons and if the employer/employee agree to work to suit both parties then I don’t see a problem. I know a number of semi retired people who think this arrangement is great.
Spot on/. Only people who are happy with zero hours would/will apply.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

I would say that it will depend on how these Zero hour contracts are worded, If its you must be available to "Us" at each time we call on you (reagardless of day/hour) then it could be an issue with the employee, having to be available to work for "X" (Company) at anytime.
If however its worded you must be available to work for "Us" on the days of week/times etc specified in the contract then that would be normal.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm For the hours that are being offered in the roles, unless are a significant numbers of hours every week, the Zero hours contract is quite appropriate for casual staff.
Absolutely and the security industry would collaspe without zero hours, many people use this as a second income, others works for multiple venues and agencies so zero hours is much better for them
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We are going back to the days where people stand at the mill gates and the gaffer says "who will work all day for a pound" to the gathered peasants and a man says "I'll do it for 75 pence as I'm desperate. "Jobs yours" says the gaffer, "have you got any kids who will work for a bowl gruel"?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.