England A v Portugal - MWWR - 25th February 2024

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: England A v Portugal - MWWR - 25th February 2024

Post by Rugbygramps »

England coaches announced as Skivington, Waldouck and Vesty .
Vesty totally get , but the other 2 is everyone else busy
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:04 pm England coaches announced as Skivington, Waldouck and Vesty .
Well I suspect that a lot of clubs said no.

Very surprised Skivington is free given his team are in the PRC semifinal..
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:19 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:04 pm England coaches announced as Skivington, Waldouck and Vesty .
Well I suspect that a lot of clubs said no.

Very surprised Skivington is free given his team are in the PRC semifinal..
It may be that his assistant coaches run the PRC team and the semi is the week before so squad May only assemble on the 19th. I’m assuming the final is the first weekend in March, and it isn’t outside the bounds of possibility that Gloucester could host the final
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I’ve got two spare tickets for this game due to me being too quick out of the blocks and ordering from the RFU instead of waiting for my own seats. The tickets are in block N of the crumbie stand face value £45 but will accept £30
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Having seen the full England squad I thought I'd propose a couple of Tigers who may get a call up for this and get people's thoughts.

Dan Kelly - given he missed on the senior squad I suspect he may be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Guy Porter - if he's fit he's got to be in the running for the midfield.

Ollie Hassell-Collins - another almost certainly in the mix there

Matt Rogerson - there is a chance he may be drafted in, quite possibly a captain for the squad?

Nic Dolly - If back fit it could be a way of saying he's not being scrapped off from England plans

Jamie Shillcock - surely after his performances this season he'll be in the thinking for this squad?

I just think the likes of Whitcombe, Vanes etc are just a tad too far away at the moment.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:46 am Having seen the full England squad I thought I'd propose a couple of Tigers who may get a call up for this and get people's thoughts.

Dan Kelly - given he missed on the senior squad I suspect he may be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Matt Rogerson - there is a chance he may be drafted in, quite possibly a captain for the squad?

Nic Dolly - If back fit it could be a way of saying he's not being scrapped off from England plans

Jamie Shillcock - surely after his performances this season he'll be in the thinking for this squad?

I just think the likes of Whitcombe, Vanes etc are just a tad too far away at the moment.
You would have thought it would be selected outside the 36 picked by Borthwick. Issue for Tigers players is are we going to release anyone just before the PRC final if we’re in it
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It depends what the point of England A is. I'd imagine Borthwick wanted it back so he could look at players who don't quite make the full squad and promising youngsters.

Kelly and Porter probably fit in with that. Rogerson not so much, but maybe Borthwick will want a few seniors for leadership purposes even if they've no chance of making the main squad.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:46 am Having seen the full England squad I thought I'd propose a couple of Tigers who may get a call up for this and get people's thoughts.

The promotions said a mix of "next in line" players needing to keep fit & up n comers they want to get involved.

So I think Vanes & Ilione are arguably more likely than most of those names who are neither next in line (mostly) nor young bolters.

For instance in the front row if Borthwick holds the entire squad back like he did last year the three just outside the matchday 23 will HAVE to have some game time, and the next in lines might as well be younger thrusters like Whitcombe, Brantingham, Vanes, Riley, Opuku-Fordjour, plus maybe a Painter or Harper.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

The Rugby Paper podcast this week has some interesting thoughts with a Portuguese journalist on the probably strength of the Portugal side being sent, the fact it's outside an international window (so clubs won't have to release players) and that they are likely to be focused on the Rugby Europe Championship
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Only 2 Tigers in initial 27man squad Shilcock and OHC.
Squad assembles at Loughborough on 20th where they will be joined by some members of the senior squad
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:04 am Only 2 Tigers in initial 27man squad Shilcock and OHC.
Squad assembles at Loughborough on 20th where they will be joined by some members of the senior squad
Really good squad that. Shilcock and OHC have to start for me. OHC showing he’s getting back to form against Quins.

Hartley / Ma’asi-White could be something special in the future together.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:27 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:04 am Only 2 Tigers in initial 27man squad Shilcock and OHC.
Really good squad that. Shilcock and OHC have to start for me. OHC showing he’s getting back to form against Quins.

I’m wondering if JVP, Watson, Lawrence could join up
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Have to ask if Radwan has done something to upset the England set up. To get in neither squad when he clearly has the ability on the test scene does seem odd.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:29 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:27 am

I’m wondering if JVP, Watson, Lawrence could join up
Maybe if any are fit. I suspect you could see Hayes sent to the A team if he is not down to start or bench next week.

Is the match being televised? Not seen any mention so guess it is unlikely.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Have to think about Dan Kelly too.

He’s behind Kata at Tigers and when he does play it’s at 13. Feel like if he doesn’t get back in to our starting XV, can see him going to Sale, linking up with Ford.