England A v Portugal - MWWR - 25th February 2024

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: England A v Portugal - MWWR - 25th February 2024

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:33 am Have to ask if Radwan has done something to upset the England set up. To get in neither squad when he clearly has the ability on the test scene does seem odd.
Does he though. Yes he’s quick and a good finisher but hat the rest of his game like. Not sure you’re picking him ahead o OHC , Murley or Sleightholme
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:42 am Have to think about Dan Kelly too.

He’s behind Kata at Tigers and when he does play it’s at 13. Feel like if he doesn’t get back in to our starting XV, can see him going to Sale, linking up with Ford.
I think he’s finding some real form at present and is our first name at centre either 12 or 13. Certainly wouldn’t put him behind Kata
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:34 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:29 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:27 am

Really good squad that. Shilcock and OHC have to start for me. OHC showing he’s getting back to form against Quins.

Hartley / Ma’asi-White could be something special in the future together.
I’m wondering if JVP, Watson, Lawrence could join up
Maybe if any are fit. I suspect you could see Hayes sent to the A team if he is not down to start or bench next week.

Is the match being televised? Not seen any mention so guess it is unlikely.
France v Italy is the Sunday afternoon game so I guess it won’t be on terrestrial maybe TNT will pick it up.
Very unlikely Heyes gets sent down, they will need 3 of each front row position right up till kick off in case anyone goes lame
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

:smt053
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:44 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:33 am Have to ask if Radwan has done something to upset the England set up. To get in neither squad when he clearly has the ability on the test scene does seem odd.
Does he though. Yes he’s quick and a good finisher but hat the rest of his game like. Not sure you’re picking him ahead o OHC , Murley or Sleightholme
I’d personally have him above Murley and Sleightholme. He’s got that x-factor which the others don’t.

Just thinking about the backs, I would’ve had Warr, Kelly, Joseph, Radwan and Carpenter in there.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:11 am :smt053
I’d personally have him above Murley and Sleightholme. He’s got that x-factor which the others don’t.

Just thinking about the backs, I would’ve had Warr, Kelly, Joseph, Radwan and Carpenter in there.
I don’t disagree but next level up he is going to have less space and I’m not sure the rest of his game is up to scratch.
2 other considerations could be that he is playing in that Newcastle side, though both Pepper and Blamire are included, and what’s his record like not playing on an artificial surface, is there a big discrepancy
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

The squad is top heavy with forwards which makes me think some of the returning injured senior backs could drop down.
IMO you can’t argue with any of the 11 backs selected
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:25 am The squad is top heavy with forwards which makes me think some of the returning injured senior backs could drop down.
Not sure how I would feel if, for example, JVP and Watson ended up running out for England A as opposed to us (you would assume that they would have to be ready to return now to make it worth joining the A team squad at the weekend).
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:28 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:25 am The squad is top heavy with forwards which makes me think some of the returning injured senior backs could drop down.
Not sure how I would feel if, for example, JVP and Watson ended up running out for England A as opposed to us (you would assume that they would have to be ready to return now to make it worth joining the A team squad at the weekend).
They are talking about from the 20th. TBH as long as there injuries are totally clear for me the more match time they get the better. We will hopefully be in the PRC final, around March 1st, which Watson is ineligible for, then nothing till Gloucester. If JVP gets some rugby to aid his return to full match fitness so much the better, and at the moment I can’t see him getting past Mitchell and Care without some time under his belt.
TBH I don’t really get this don’t play for them if you can’t play for us argument, let them get back out on the pitch
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I would guess that they've prioritised players who don't have PRC games. I might be wrong though.

The thing with Radwan is that X factor alone doesn't cut it at international level. You need strong and consistent basics first, the X factor is a bonus. That's why Lynagh, Radway, that Exeter full back whose name I've suddenly forgotten don't get a look in, but players like Steward and Dan Cole are there every time.

Cheslin Kolbe, for example, isn't an international player because of his X factor, he's there because his work rate, kicking, defence, positioning etc are all exceptional.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:40 am
GB72 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:28 am
They are talking about from the 20th. TBH as long as there injuries are totally clear for me the more match time they get the better. We will hopefully be in the PRC final, around March 1st, which Watson is ineligible for, then nothing till Gloucester. If JVP gets some rugby to aid his return to full match fitness so much the better, and at the moment I can’t see him getting past Mitchell and Care without some time under his belt.
TBH I don’t really get this don’t play for them if you can’t play for us argument, let them get back out on the pitch
Exactly, get them on the pitch but if they are fit, would like to see them (if eligible) play for us on Sunday and then head over to train with England on Tuesday .
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:41 am I would guess that they've prioritised players who don't have PRC games. I might be wrong though.

The thing with Radwan is that X factor alone doesn't cut it at international level. You need strong and consistent basics first, the X factor is a bonus. That's why Lynagh, Radway, that Exeter full back whose name I've suddenly forgotten don't get a look in, but players like Steward and Dan Cole are there every time.

Cheslin Kolbe, for example, isn't an international player because of his X factor, he's there because his work rate, kicking, defence, positioning etc are all exceptional.
I think it’s Hodge you are thinking about who is in the A squad, and Exeter have a few in there even though they play Gloucester in the other semi.
Kolbe excellent example of the X factor player as is the young French wing
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Questionable work-rate at times too. Can go missing. That won't sit well with SB. I think it was Saints v Falcons a few weeks ago. IIRC he ended up off his wing and breaking down the left. They were turned over and he sauntered/jogged back towards his (right) wing. Saints then break and he's not in a position to cover as he'd shown no effort to get back across. Contrast this to the way DK gets himself into position defensively when he's playing 13.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ewels, Heyes, Randall, Ojomoh, and Muir joining up with the A squad
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status ... VsuyQ&s=19

Heyes at 3
Shillcock on th bench

(Interestingly Atkinson who we let go because he fell behind Shillcock for us is starting 10)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Strong back row that