Tigers v Quins (H) - Premiership - Saturday 11th November 2023 KO: 15:05

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Quins (H) - Premiership - Saturday 11th November 2023 KO: 15:05

Post by fentiger »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:15 pm Every season has its difficulties...
The World Cup and all it brings/brought though did not suddenly appear from nowhere....
and whilst much of what you say has substance neither is it 'the way, the truth and the light'..
Again I would say, Simply use you eyes and tell me what you see and not what you either want or believe...
No, the world cup didn't appear from nowhere, but what did was losing pretty well all our coaching team... we could have coped better losing half the players and no coaches!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Agree to the above...
We have in fact more or less lost both however.
To me though ,that cannot or must not detract from under performance.
Is this not so ?
Have we performed to our 'supposed' ability or expectations during this period ?
Simple enough question , even without the excuses (if that's what you want to call them ).
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Things are not clicking. Some players do not seem to have a left and a fight hand. Some is rust, some is new things to think about whilst running in new patterns and some is now probably trying too hard and not relaxing into the flow. DM has a good pedigree and win record previously. We do need to be patient. SB had a bad development season, a title winning season and then we dipped form. The salary cap levels the playing field a lot. Sarries shows well what a stable coaching set up can bring, regardless of other issues. Lets support and see what the season brings. More change would not be positive.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

PeteK wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:51 am Im just seeing this as due to no relegation its going to be another Borthwick season, treat it as a long preseason trying combos etc and push for next year.
I must admit only having been a Tigers season ticket holder for 12 years I have yet again a feeling of we have been in this position (new coach, first season, struggling) many times before. I truly wish that we now have more stability both on and off the pitch as we have suffered as a result. Its no coincidence that the likes of Salarycens and Chiefs do so well given the longevity of their head coaches.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Never will stop supporting..
but don't believe in blind faith...
It's simple ..say what you see...

and of course hope that a rubber mask is at no time removed to reveal Matt O'Connor standing there.... :smt001
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:58 pm Never will stop supporting..
but don't believe in blind faith...
It's simple ..say what you see...

and of course hope that a rubber mask is at no time removed to reveal Matt O'Connor standing there.... :smt001
That would be a super shrink wrap mask... :smt040 :smt046 :smt043
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:14 pm Fans asked for a more expansive game, but call "sack the coach" when it doesn't instantly click?
what more expansive game? We have one tactic, kick, if we'd seen a more expansive game it would be easier to wait and hear the same old tired excuses
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:56 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:14 pm Fans asked for a more expansive game, but call "sack the coach" when it doesn't instantly click?
what more expansive game? We have one tactic, kick, if we'd seen a more expansive game it would be easier to wait and hear the same old tired excuses
It was fairly obvious when watching the game that we were more expansive in our attack. Lots more attacking shapes, variation and willingness to get wider compared to previous weeks.

The statistics also back this up - we made more carries than Quins, made more metres than Quins, made more passes than Quins, made double the amount of offloads than Quins, beat more defenders than Quins as well as kicked the same amount as Quins who are seen as one of the most attacking teams in the league.

We also had greater ruck success than Quins, won more rucks than Quins, and won more turnovers compared to Quins.

Our issue is that we dropped the ball at crucial times, costing us in defence and attack, as well as not being secure enough in our line out.

For all the noise on here, the statistics show that Saturday was nowhere near the disaster some like to portray. Raging Bull is also correct in that we lost 80% of our first team, with a new coaching side coming it. It's a pretty clear and obvious mitigation, unless you have an agenda.

Quite clearly results need to improve and sharpish, as do the performances but a bit of balance and perspective needs to be brought in here.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Being brutally honest in all the years I've supported Leicester (and on here) the only thing I have called for is Winning Rugby
It matters not how....one point more than the opposition.Beginning.Middle .End.
This was how I was taught.This was how I played (semi pro , by the way) and this is how it will always be.
You get no points for style.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:28 pm
It was fairly obvious when watching the game that we were more expansive in our attack. Lots more attacking shapes, variation and willingness to get wider compared to previous weeks.

The statistics also back this up - we made more carries than Quins, made more metres than Quins, made more passes than Quins, made double the amount of offloads than Quins, beat more defenders than Quins as well as kicked the same amount as Quins who are seen as one of the most attacking teams in the league.

We also had greater ruck success than Quins, won more rucks than Quins, and won more turnovers compared to Quins.

Our issue is that we dropped the ball at crucial times, costing us in defence and attack, as well as not being secure enough in our line out.

For all the noise on here, the statistics show that Saturday was nowhere near the disaster some like to portray. Raging Bull is also correct in that we lost 80% of our first team, with a new coaching side coming it. It's a pretty clear and obvious mitigation, unless you have an agenda.

Quite clearly results need to improve and sharpish, as do the performances but a bit of balance and perspective needs to be brought in here.
Great post.

I feel everytime we lose there's an outcry about the kicking irrespective of what the kicking strategy is. Playing from our own half actually cost us a little bit at the weekend.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:58 pm Being brutally honest in all the years I've supported Leicester (and on here) the only thing I have called for is Winning Rugby
It matters not how....one point more than the opposition.Beginning.Middle .End.
This was how I was taught.This was how I played (semi pro , by the way) and this is how it will always be.
You get no points for style.
What’s it like in your little world. My wife will tell you nobody hates losing more than me but life is not that simple. Whilst I would love for Tigers to win every game they play you need to be realistic. We have a new coach and have played 4 games whilst missing 13 of our best 23 players. Even on Saturday we were still missing Montoya, Martin, Reffell , OHC , JVP . Really don’t know what you expect and as a semi pro and assuming you still made mistakes.
A2O
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Advertising that you played Semi-pro as a means to demonstrate you have greater knowledge is cute, except for that fact you're advertising that you never made it as a professional player, meaning you have the same rugby experience as pretty much everyone on here. It certainly is not relevant to the point of the discussion.

I think everyone on here is in agreement that results need to improve and quickly, however calling for the coach's head when he has had most of his full squad with him for just a week is a fairly off the wall overreaction. Unfortunately McKellar has not been blessed with the gift of time, so we need to start improving quickly otherwise the season will get away with us. Which is a shame as we saw in the Quins game that we really are not far off clicking and doing some damage in this league.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:08 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:28 pm

Great post.

I feel everytime we lose there's an outcry about the kicking irrespective of what the kicking strategy is. Playing from our own half actually cost us a little bit at the weekend.
The irony is that Kelly dropped the ball trying to get the ball wide to a 3 man overlap. If he had ignored it and booted the ball down the field, many people on here would be up in arms but we would have gone in at HT in front and probably have won the game.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:42 pm We can't catch!
I refer the honourable ladies and gentlemen to the reply I gave earlier.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

'Offside' and 'Sapajo' make very valid points about Saracens and their coaching team. It's also true that they keep the same core of senior players season after season. Whereas we lose players like Genge, Moroni, Ford and Potter and seem to have to start again with a largely fresh team every season.
Ancient Mariner