Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Quins (H) - Premiership - Saturday 11th November 2023 KO: 15:05

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

3 away games in the first 4.

Played last season's, champions & runners up.

We've had a tough opening to the season, but with nobody having had a 100% record we are still well in touch.

Home games vs Quins & Saints to come and the artillery to come in...

With Heyes, Martin, JvP & Scott out.

Likely Cracknell out with his failed HIA and Hatherall also probably out.

I'd go something like this:

Brown
Bassett
Kelly
Kata
Hassell-Collins
Shillcock
Youngs
Cronin
Dolly
Cole
Chessum
Henderson
Liebenberg
Reffell
Wiese

Montoya
Whitcombe
Hurd
Wells
Ilione
Whiteley
Pollard
Porter
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Quins (H) - Premiership - Saturday 11th November 2023 KO: 15:05

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I feel given how well Shillcock has played - he doesn’t deserve to be dropped and I’d want him somewhere in the XV. Feel we can still put out a strong team whilst giving Henderson, Liebenberg, Clare etc a rest.

15. Shillcock
14. Kata
13. Porter
12. Kelly
11. OHC
10. Pollard
9. Youngs
8. Wiese
7. Reffell
6. Rogerson
5. Chessum
4. Wells
3. Cole
2. Dolly
1. Cronin

Whitcombe Montoya Hurd Henderson Liebenberg Powell Atkinson Steward
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I would have
Cronin
Claire
Cole
Henderson
Chessum
Liebenberg
Reffell
Wiese
Youngs
Pollard
OHC
Kelly
Kata
Bassett
Steward

Dolly/Montoya
Whitcombe
Heyes
Wells
Hatherall/Rogerson
Whiteley
Shilcock
Porter
A2O
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I wouldn't drop Brown, his contract runs out soon, he's played very well so use him whilst we have got him, give Freddie a good rest, we have cover in Shilcock.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

LE18 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:57 pm I wouldn't drop Brown, his contract runs out soon, he's played very well so use him whilst we have got him, give Freddie a good rest, we have cover in Shilcock.
Got a feeling Brown will be here until the end of the season.
A2O
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

We are second to bottom of the table and we desperately need points or it becomes a season horriblus.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:53 pm We are second to bottom of the table and we desperately need points or it becomes a season horriblus.
Yes,as full bore as possible for me. Even a couple more losses with results going the other way and already the playoffs will look like a mountain to climb
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

LE18 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:57 pm I wouldn't drop Brown, his contract runs out soon, he's played very well so use him whilst we have got him, give Freddie a good rest, we have cover in Shilcock.
Agree about Brown; he was one of the few bright sparks in yesterday's game.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
BG01

Post by BG01 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:53 pm We are second to bottom of the table and we desperately need points or it becomes a season horriblus.
We are actually doing better than last season for the equivalent games. We've just had a bad fixture list for the first few games plus missing 12-14 players.

There's still a core of 5-10 players playing really well (Cronin, Henderson, Liebenberg, Reffell, Rogerson, Hatherell, Shillcock, Brown) over recent games and some others (Wells, Kata, Hurd) showing promise.

No need to start from square one - just need to bring in a bit more quality (Montoya, Cole, Chessum, Wiese, Pollard, Steward) and we'll start to see how good we are.

I think it would be madness to drop Shillcock or Brown from the XV for Quins, they've been great and others will need to earn their spot.
Never believe generalisations
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

BG01 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:58 pm
We are actually doing better than last season for the equivalent games. We've just had a bad fixture list for the first few games plus missing 12-14 players.

There's still a core of 5-10 players playing really well (Cronin, Henderson, Liebenberg, Reffell, Rogerson, Hatherell, Shillcock, Brown) over recent games and some others (Wells, Kata, Hurd) showing promise.

No need to start from square one - just need to bring in a bit more quality (Montoya, Cole, Chessum, Wiese, Pollard, Steward) and we'll start to see how good we are.

I think it would be madness to drop Shillcock or Brown from the XV for Quins, they've been great and others will need to earn their spot.
Earn their spot. Wow a number 10 who’s just won the World Cup needs to earn his spot! Shillcock has done a decent job covering but if these World Cup returnees are back and able to play they all need to be brought in. We’ve lost three games and only won the other with a last kick of the game penalty. We need our top boys back. None of this “earning their spot nonsense”. They were away at the World Cup for a reason.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Brown and Shilcock have been the two most consistent performers so far, but they happen to be positions where we've got seasoned internationals ready to come back in!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree that it would be harsh on Brown,Shilcock etc to be dropped but we have already lost 3 games and can only probably afford to lose a total of 6 games if we are to get top 4. Shilcock is an ideal bench player as he covers 2 positions. It may be that Steward needs more time off anyway so if so keep Brown at 15. Montoya, Pollard, Chessum, Wiese and Martin(if fit) would make a big difference.
A2O
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Full bore for me - the WC players have now had some time off and in some cases were not used a great deal. Whilst not reducing the effect of harder training and being away from the family for some time have on players, it is now time to put out our strongest 23 and develop a winning mentality.
Hehehehehehehehe
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:40 am Agree that it would be harsh on Brown,Shilcock etc to be dropped but we have already lost 3 games and can only probably afford to lose a total of 6 games if we are to get top 4. Shilcock is an ideal bench player as he covers 2 positions. It may be that Steward needs more time off anyway so if so keep Brown at 15. Montoya, Pollard, Chessum, Wiese and Martin(if fit) would make a big difference.
I'm not sure about only 6 losses... That's a 67% win record.

Last year 55% win record got top 4.
A 70% win record got a home semifinal.

With a team less in the league and the same no. of playoff spots available, it suggests a lower win percentage would be required (obviously BP's affect it etc)

I think it likely 10 wins, 8 losses will probably get top 4. 11-7 is almost certain a semifinal IMO

I suspect home semifinal will probably be around the 12-6 win mark.

For reference Playoff position went to these records:

22/23 4th/11teams - 55% win
21/22 4th/13 - 58% win
20/21 4th/12 - 59% win
19/20 4th/12 - 64% win
18/19 4th/12 - 50% win
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Brown before Freddie all day long for me