Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Wayne Barnes

Post by Rugbygramps »

https://www.world.rugby/news/891175/rec ... lar-career

Seeing on social media that Wayne has hung up his whistle completely.

One of the top 5 refs of all time, and the abuse from coaches players and NZRFU is shameful after the final, let alone death threats and threats of violence.

Good luck Wayne in your retirement let’s hope all that knowledge and experience can be put to good use
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Wayne Barnes

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Shocking. Fantastic official. I hope he stays involved in some capacity
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Absolutely an utter disgrace how Barnes has been treated and a number of the other refs.

Whilst teams like S Africa continue to employ the likes of Erasmus, there is no hope for referees. Eventually the game will die if no refs to officiate, wouldn't blame them if they went on strike to be honest!!
Soggypitch
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Barnes said: “Over the past 20 years, I have been in the middle of some of the greatest rugby matches in history. I have seen some of the world’s best players and worked with some of the finest coaches the game has ever produced. Last Saturday, I was privileged to referee the Rugby World Cup final between two of the most iconic teams in sport; the All Blacks and the Springboks. People often say you will know when it is the right time to retire, and this is clearly the right time for me and for my family.

"My children have missed out on time with their dad for far too long and I am now looking forward to family weekends, sports matches, school assemblies and birthday parties.

"My wife, Polly, has sacrificed more than anyone so that I have been able to achieve some of my personal goals. While I have been away most weekends and for decent chunks of the year, she has had to juggle being an amazing mum with two active children, along with holding down a hugely successful career of her own.

"I will continue to advocate for referees and work closely with the International Rugby Match Officials association to ensure match officials across the globe not only have a collective voice but also the appropriate support network for them and their families, particularly as online abuse and threats have become far too regular for all of those involved in the game.

"I am extremely proud that my career has spanned five Rugby World Cups, 26 Six Nations matches, three European Champions Cup finals and 10 Premiership Finals, and I’m grateful for all of those who have helped me along the way, in particular, Chris White, Tony Spreadbury, Brian Campsall, Nigel Yates and Phil Keith-Roach.

"It's been an incredible journey.”
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

One of the things that is often pointed out on this forum is the laxer standards of the refs in New Zealand in particular. If they actually played to the laws as written rather than what they’re old players think and say they would have a better understanding.
Justin Marshall is the worst culprit
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

All refs suffer from fans not agreeing with this decision or that decision but the level of abuse that some have to suffer from the professional in the game at times, is unacceptable and I really hope that world rugby comes down heavily on them. Most people I know would say Barnes is the best of the lot - he handled every decision in the final clearly and concisely and communicated with the captains and the players the reasons for his decision. Does he get everything right without help - NO - but he has always done it honestly and without favour. The abuse his family has received is totally unacceptable and I hope the authorities track them down and ban them from our game for life.

I do hope that when he comes to WR next we are given the opportunity to show our thanks to him and his family.
Hehehehehehehehe
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

As trendy says fans disagreeing with refs is part of the game.
But this is the 2nd time threats etc have been made against Wayne.
I’ve said before, and there are culprits on here but if fans actually enjoyed the rugby rather than feeling the need to examine every decision in detail, and being the first thing they comment on, it would be better imo
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Best referee of his generation. A legal brain with superb empathy and people management skills proved a winning formulae for a referee.

As for the personal abuse he’s got sadly it’s a wider society issue. I don’t know what the answer is.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:27 pm Best referee of his generation. A legal brain with superb empathy and people management skills proved a winning formulae for a referee.

As for the personal abuse he’s got sadly it’s a wider society issue. I don’t know what the answer is.
Unfortunately it’s keyboard warrior syndrome, I’ll admit I’ve been guilty of it myself on occasion.
I’ve questioned a chap on instagram today who was suggesting he has been told to retire following the final
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I think that Wayne was going to retire earlier but was missing the biggest game from his career, a World Cup Final. Now that he has achieved that he can go back to his Barrister day job and spend more time with the kids who, if I am right, are about 8/9 years old.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:07 pm I think that Wayne was going to retire earlier but was missing the biggest game from his career, a World Cup Final. Now that he has achieved that he can go back to his Barrister day job and spend more time with the kids who, if I am right, are about 8/9 years old.
Yes you’re correct re his kids. As he mentions he will still be involved and I’m sure TV companies would like his services
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:31 pm

I do hope that when he comes to WR next we are given the opportunity to show our thanks to him and his family.
I think "completely" means just that. Unless he comes as part of a TV outfit we won't be seeing him again.
The AB's whinging goes on and on. They've sent a load of things to world rugby questioning the decisions in the final. I understand that they hurt and that they want clarity. They could seek clarity more privately and this just reeks of sour grapes.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

happy retirement Mr Barnes.

Luke Pearce now the undisputed best ref in England?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:32 pm happy retirement Mr Barnes.

Luke Pearce now the undisputed best ref in England?
Controversial I know, but Dickson had a decent World Cup
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

So sad to hear Wayne has retired, best ref around by miles. Another great ref lost to the game. We dont always agree with every decision a ref makes and I hate to see, especially on this forum, every decision called out, it might be wrong, or right, but its annoying to me to see Tiger fans doing this. There is no way refs should be called out as being the worst ref in the world etc, if they didn't do it, and i know they are doing it to the best of their ability, there would be no game.
So sad that there is abuse and especially to Wayne. Best wishes to him and his family.