Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Wayne Barnes

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:02 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:42 pm
mol2 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:36 pm The daft thing is the final decision to send the player off in the final wasn’t Barnes, so why he got the abuse shows the ignorance of the abuser.
I read a comment from I think Steve Hansen saying the TMO should be banned. It wasn’t even his decision it was sent to the review hub
Think it was the TMO that pointed out the head clashes...........no TMO and it would not even have been an issue.
If you mean no TMO completely that’s correct, as it’s part of the role to check things in the background. I think Hansen was referring to Foley in particular.
At the end of the day everyone in the rugby world thinks it was the correct decision unless you’re a kiwi
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:14 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:02 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:42 pm

I read a comment from I think Steve Hansen saying the TMO should be banned. It wasn’t even his decision it was sent to the review hub
Think it was the TMO that pointed out the head clashes...........no TMO and it would not even have been an issue.

If you mean no TMO completely that’s correct, as it’s part of the role to check things in the background. I think Hansen was referring to Foley in particular.
At the end of the day everyone in the rugby world thinks it was the correct decision unless you’re a kiwi
I thought he implied getting rid of the TMO as a whole.......however, I thought that Foley had a reasonable game and picked out things against both sides....
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

There are stories circulating that there was a crucial wrong decision in the WC final. Something discussed on here - how many phases can the TMO go back.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/rugbyle ... 384c&ei=51
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

There are plenty of amusing rugby anecdotes in Wayne Barnes’s highly readable new autobiography Throwing the Book. Not least the time, early in his top-level refereeing career, when he had to sin-bin England’s World Cup-winning captain Martin Johnson for an illegal smash on London Irish’s Delon Armitage. Johnno, having regained his feet, fixed the youthful official with his best death stare and said: “That’s the only :censored: decision you’ve got right so far.”
Semper in excretia
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:32 am There are plenty of amusing rugby anecdotes in Wayne Barnes’s highly readable new autobiography Throwing the Book. Not least the time, early in his top-level refereeing career, when he had to sin-bin England’s World Cup-winning captain Martin Johnson for an illegal smash on London Irish’s Delon Armitage. Johnno, having regained his feet, fixed the youthful official with his best death stare and said: “That’s the only :censored: decision you’ve got right so far.”
Hilarious and I can so imagine him saying that!! :smt003 :smt003
Soggypitch
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:33 pm There are stories circulating that there was a crucial wrong decision in the WC final. Something discussed on here - how many phases can the TMO go back.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/rugbyle ... 384c&ei=51
I just adds to the narrative that NZRU is trying to run WR, be it the media or it's disciplinary processes (how they wish they'd been successful in forcing the 20 minute red card on the global game).

I'd be interested to know who is leaking this information, and what their motives are.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:32 am There are plenty of amusing rugby anecdotes in Wayne Barnes’s highly readable new autobiography Throwing the Book. Not least the time, early in his top-level refereeing career, when he had to sin-bin England’s World Cup-winning captain Martin Johnson for an illegal smash on London Irish’s Delon Armitage. Johnno, having regained his feet, fixed the youthful official with his best death stare and said: “That’s the only :censored: decision you’ve got right so far.”
That’s funny
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Another article on the BBC about death threats to Tom Foley. NZRU should be coming out and publicly condemning this but their silence makes them complicit. They should be ashamed of themselves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-67546611

Unless I'm wrong and they have come out and said something...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/TightFive_Rugby/sta ... U3Ihg&s=19

Foley gives up International refereeing because of threats post being the TMO in the final...

#RugbyValues in full force
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Beat me to it TFS. What is going on with our game ?
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

This is just horrendous. That a sir feels the need to do this is absolutely astonishing to me in rugby.

NZRFU really need to sort themselves out.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:39 pm Beat me to it TFS. What is going on with our game ?
It's not solely a rugby thing. It's everything.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ourla wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:48 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:39 pm Beat me to it TFS. What is going on with our game ?
You are correct. It’s the times that we live in.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:01 pm
ourla wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:48 pm
You are correct. It’s the times that we live in.
I'd like something to be done about it mind. Difficult as it is to solve we should try.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Respect for referees is disappearing fast.

Man City's Haaland's tirade of abuse against the ref this weekend is nothing short of unforgiveable, but this has existed in football for so many years that FIFA seem to accept it and don't in any way punish the players who choose to overstep the mark.

Referees are human, so they make mistakes, and without referees there wouldn't be any games.
Semper in excretia