Poms lose world whinger title!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Poms lose world whinger title!

Post by jgriffin »

Kiwi complaints about reffing of final not just in social media but now official!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... C5Lqx_pDlv
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Poms lose world whinger title!

Post by Soggypitch »

Yes the way refs are being treated at present is a disgrace. If it were just the odd occasion or person (eg Erasmus), then I would be more optimistic for the future.

But when just about every team/country is doing it, what is the eventual outcome? No refs means no rugby, really wouldn't blame them if they went on strike, given how the top refs in particular are having every decision they make questioned/undermined.

To be fair England are one of the very few that don't moan, we had probably the worst decision of the WC when Curry was sent off v Argentina, but I don't recollect SB complaining (I'm sure he did in private, but therein lies the difference).

Even the South Sea Islanders have been complaining about unconscious bias.........I genuinely think there is conscious bias against England, because without exception every other nation always wants us to lose. But there is just no point complaining, as it just makes us look as bad as all the others!!

Everyone just needs to accept the referees decisions for better or worse, or eventually the game will die.
Soggypitch
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Now Hansen is weighing in. It wasn’t a red and ban the TMO. Talk about sour grapes. Don’t hear the Saffers complaining. Funny that.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

MCC1964 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:40 pm Now Hansen is weighing in. It wasn’t a red and ban the TMO. Talk about sour grapes. Don’t hear the Saffers complaining. Funny that.
Daft thing about that it wasn’t the TMO decision it went to the review hub
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Get rid of the TMO, bin the review hub, ban playbacks especially in slow motion, ban lifting in the lineout, police offside, forward passes, in at the side, diving over the ruck, squint put in to the scrum and just accept the refs decision.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chewbacca wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:55 pm Get rid of the TMO, bin the review hub, ban playbacks especially in slow motion, ban lifting in the lineout, police offside, forward passes, in at the side, diving over the ruck, squint put in to the scrum and just accept the refs decision.
Let’s bring back punching and proper rucking with nails for studs..

Just don’t understand why people want to go backwards
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Mainly because the majority of law changes since 1980 have not improved the game .. to play or watch!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:09 pm Mainly because the majority of law changes since 1980 have not improved the game .. to play or watch!
In your opinion and dare I say it older viewers.
Getting rid of the hub and the TMO doesn’t help with that either
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I’m not sticking up for NZ or condoning any other behaviour whatsoever but the no clear release call on Ardie Savea was poor for a ref of Barnes calibre. The red for Cane and the yellow for Kolisi were spot on though! And for me Kolisis was arguably a penalty only,dipped,bent and wrapped just unfortunate that it followed through to the head.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
peteD

Post by peteD »

on slow motion replays you can see that he does briefly relate the player. the point is that it should be a clear release. if you need a TMO / slow motion replay to tell, I'd say that's not clear and obvious.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

peteD wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:15 pm on slow motion replays you can see that he does briefly relate the player. the point is that it should be a clear release. if you need a TMO / slow motion replay to tell, I'd say that's not clear and obvious.
Looked a clear release to me,don’t think there should be any need for that ridiculous release when players throw their hands above their hands before they go in again! There was separation with both hands and it looked clear at the time
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

And we must remember that refs are human, don't have the same line of sight that we do from.TV cameras....need I go on.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

The game will not get played again and the result will not be overturned. Questions to aid reflection and improvement are useful and maybe the fact they have been made helps NZ publicly at home to cope with the loss, but it does seem to ho beyond that, as did Rassie. I do not think anyone objectively looking at the game can say the best team did not win. Maybe the issues around having a Head Coach undermined should be the first port of call in reflection for NZ instead.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

NZ lost it for me when at the beginning they deliberately targeted the main SA scrum guy - bad sportsmanship ☹️
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Pathetic.
The review generally worked ok with some inconsistencies that seemed ironed out as the tournament progressed.
Red deserved by NZ & rightly the yellow wasn’t upgraded for SA. Both high but the first was straight to the head and the second mainly contacted the chest/shoulder and rode up before making head contact.

If there is a query about forward passes, give the TMO virtual lines a cross the pitch and if the pass crosses the one in line with the passer it is forwards. Just as in the laws. No more interpretations of which way the hands were pointing.

New Zealand historically have got away with far more than their opponents and now squeal when the technology catches them out.