Caterpillar rucks

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Caterpillar rucks

Post by ourla »

I think I've asked this before but what purpose do they serve in terms of making the game better to play and watch?

And would it be difficult to outlaw them?

My view is nothing and no.

To elaborate slightly. It just seems to slow the game down, allow everyone to reset and means there is less chance teams run the ball and more opportunity for aerial tennis. I actually don't mind a bit of tennis but there are ample other opportunities.

Can't you just say that once the ball is presented people can't join the ruck (might need a bit more detail!).

What am I missing, if anything?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Caterpillar rucks

Post by GB72 »

ourla wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:36 pm I think I've asked this before but what purpose do they serve in terms of making the game better to play and watch?

To elaborate slightly. It just seems to slow the game down, allow everyone to reset and means there is less chance teams run the ball and more opportunity for aerial tennis. I actually don't mind a bit of tennis but there are ample other opportunities.

Can't you just say that once the ball is presented people can't join the ruck (might need a bit more detail!).

Nothing, I full agree.

Alternatively, actually enforce a call of use it. That would help across the board. At present they call use it then start the caterpillar.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I’ve mentioned this before,once a ruck has been competed and one team has won the ball clearly no other team mate then can then join and bind on. Will give more chance for charge downs and speed the game up.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ourla wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:36 pm I think I've asked this before but what purpose do they serve in terms of making the game better to play and watch?

Nailed it,very easy to police too
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Needs sorting out. I like the idea of no new bodies joining once the ball is available.
Also, as has been mentioned many times, once the ref calls use it your 5 seconds start, don’t then give them another reminder after the 5 seconds.
Can we also get rid of the poorly disguised dummies, which were supposedly outlawed season back
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I agree. It looks ‘unnatural’ and therefore doesn’t seem right to me. Like not feeding the ball straight into a scrum and having large men with pieces of foam (or whatever it is) strapped to their thighs to assist their team mates to hurl them into the air. No caterpillars, have the ref put the ball into the scrum and no assisted jumps in the lineout. And don’t get me going about players ‘honeypotting’ around their teammate who is trying to catch a high ball….
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:21 pm I agree. It looks ‘unnatural’ and therefore doesn’t seem right to me. Like not feeding the ball straight into a scrum and having large men with pieces of foam (or whatever it is) strapped to their thighs to assist their team mates to hurl them into the air. No caterpillars, have the ref put the ball into the scrum and no assisted jumps in the lineout. And don’t get me going about players ‘honeypotting’ around their teammate who is trying to catch a high ball….
👏👏 Yes! No more lifting in line outs, make the bu…ers jump to get possession. Scrap caterpillars too; scrum feeds down the middle to give a chance for a heel against the head; enforce penalties for obstruction for players who dither in front of the catcher. 👏👏👏
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’m not as concerned about the scrum feeds as others everyone does it and it’s not as if the opposition hooker strikes for the ball any longer.
Going off the topic of caterpillar rucks, if you stop lifting in the lineout those that like to see flowing attacking moves will see a lot less, as the majority of 1st phase attacks come from off the top lineout ball. Also unlike the scrum put in it is contestable.

I’m all for getting rid of things that are unsightly and slow the game down, but imo you can’t put lifting in the line out in either of those categories, if anything it’s the reverse
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:38 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:21 pm I agree. It looks ‘unnatural’ and therefore doesn’t seem right to me. Like not feeding the ball straight into a scrum and having large men with pieces of foam (or whatever it is) strapped to their thighs to assist their team mates to hurl them into the air. No caterpillars, have the ref put the ball into the scrum and no assisted jumps in the lineout. And don’t get me going about players ‘honeypotting’ around their teammate who is trying to catch a high ball….
👏👏 Yes! No more lifting in line outs, make the bu…ers jump to get possession. Scrap caterpillars too; scrum feeds down the middle to give a chance for a heel against the head; enforce penalties for obstruction for players who dither in front of the catcher. 👏👏👏
I’m sure you’re aware but they do jump and then they are boosted, no way can you dead lift someone of that size and height if they’re not already going up
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Thanks for the comments - seems such a simple idea/change and makes you wonder why it's not seen by the guys running the game.

Line outs to me are something that seems to be working reasonable well - all be it should be more punishments of slow set up.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I, too, thought dummies had been outlawed as they were a cheap and unappealing way of getting a penalty. I agree with a lot of the comments about the caterpillar, originally designed, I think, merely to provide more protection for the 9. Ref calls "ball available" and no-one else can join. Now, if too few have joined and there's a good counter resulting in a turnover... that would be a plus for me.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Part of the issue for me is too many warnings from the ref.

If we take the use it in 5 seconds and dummys at the base, the players are aware of the laws they shouldn’t need reminding every game.
By all means tell the 9 when the 5 seconds starts but they are as capable of counting down from 5 as anyone
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Ref the offside line properly and there's no need fot them.

It's why the 9 dummies in the first place.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

You’d get more charge downs.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »